Stop listening when you're locked! I'm not talking to you. (OK Google)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My house is covered in Google Homes. I can't seem to get my Pixel to permanently retain the setting to not respond to "OK Google" when locked. This is only an issue because I walk through my home on a daily basis saying the command to operate my home. The phone will not remain compliant. Am I doing something wrong?

Luckily, my Google Homes win and the commands are executed by them and not the phone but it's just annoying that the phone comes to life.

I won't even bring up how buried that setting is to not listen when locked.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure TBH. I turned off "OK Google" except when using Android Auto / Google Maps. This is due to Google Homes all around my house as well.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My house is covered in Google Homes. I can't seem to get my Pixel to permanently retain the setting to not respond to "OK Google" when locked. This is only an issue because I walk through my home on a daily basis saying the command to operate my home. The phone will not remain compliant. Am I doing something wrong?

Luckily, my Google Homes win and the commands are executed by them and not the phone but it's just annoying that the phone comes to life.

I won't even bring up how buried that setting is to not listen when locked.
I have literally disabled ok google on my phone to stop that happening. I didn't even know there was a serting to not listen when locked. Can you point me to it please?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I use "Hey Google" for my Home devices and "Ok Google" for my phone.

EDIT: sorry that's on my Galaxy S9+ where it doesn't respond to "Hey Google" only "Ok Google".

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have literally disabled ok google on my phone to stop that happening. I didn't even know there was a serting to not listen when locked. Can you point me to it please?

I believe there are multiple routes to what I think is the setting. Here is one way....

1. Open your Google Feed (or whatever they call it - swipe right)
  2. At the bottom-right, tap the hamburger menu
  3. Select SETTINGS
  4. At the top, under Google Assistant, select SETTINGS
  5. On the next screen, look down the list under "devices" and pick "PHONE"
  6. In the second section titled "Get hands free help with voice match," turn off the first option labeled "Access with voice match"

In my case, it seems to magically re-enable itself. I wonder if it has something to do with Android Auto. OK Google continues working when this setting is off. In fact, it pops up a notification to that effect when you turn it off as described above.

If you don't use Android Auto, let us know if it stays off for more than a couple days.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I use "Hey Google" for my Home devices and "Ok Google" for my phone.

EDIT: sorry that's on my Galaxy S9+ where it doesn't respond to "Hey Google" only "Ok Google".

Bingo.... this used to be my solution too. Now they both respond to both.

This is just an annoyance right now. It hasn't actually interfered with my smart home functions (yet).

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I believe there are multiple routes to what I think is the setting. Here is one way....

1. Open your Google Feed (or whatever they call it - swipe right)
  2. At the bottom-right, tap the hamburger menu
  3. Select SETTINGS
  4. At the top, under Google Assistant, select SETTINGS
  5. On the next screen, look down the list under "devices" and pick "PHONE"
  6. In the second section titled "Get hands free help with voice match," turn off the first option labeled "Access with voice match"

In my case, it seems to magically re-enable itself. I wonder if it has something to do with Android Auto. OK Google continues working when this setting is off. In fact, it pops up a notification to that effect when you turn it off as described above.

If you don't use Android Auto, let us know if it stays off for more than a couple days.

Thank you