No fingerprint reader and questionable battery life?

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
i am thinking about getting a Pixel 4XL. I have only ever had Google phones. I can't imagine to have Android on a non-Google phone.

The fact that there is no finger print reader is a real drawback. I have several apps which use finger print to log on and i would not like to loose that. What was Google thinking, that their users don't take good advantage of biometrics (which include finger print)?

The reviews have also said that battery life is an issue. How could this be true for a flagship phone, for a $1000 phone.

This phone can already be bought on promotion at Xfinity with a $300 discount so that tells a little about future pricing and value.

What about the value of this phone when 5G comes, throw it away and start over? What about when Google comes with a new phone which is not having the known issues with the 4? It seems to me that this $1000 phone will have a life of about 2 years?

Would be interested in feedback from Pixel 4 owners.

Should I buy a Pixel4XL?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a pixel 4xl and I think it's best pixel to date . Battery last the whole day with it's 90hz on all the time and face id works for me without issue.

This thread will give you a ideal what apps work with face unlock.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=982664

I think if you can get a good deal go for it , black Friday got mine 550.00 including tax . Couldn't pass that up.

Nikholas Pappas

May 14, 2019
Visit site
Battery Life will of course depend on your usage. For some people it will get you through a day. For me it didn't.

The face unlock was a big deal breaker for me, as I use a lot of apps that require authentication and it worked on like 2. So I was often having to use a password manager or having to type my passwords in manually. For me this was very inconvenient.

It is a "Good" phone, it will just depend on where you place importance. Its strengths and weakness' may line up well with your use or may not.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thought you were talking about the 4a. The 4a is supposed to have the FPS. If not then wrong forum. But maybe wait for the 4a then?

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel 4 XL is an ok phone for those who like it. I came from the Pixel 2 XL to the 4 XL and wish I had not done it. I wish the cell phone companies gave more then 14 days for a return cause in 14 days you are still learning the phone and you don't know if you like it or not yet. I for one am looking for a new phone, maybe the new Samsung being launched next week. I want the FINGERPRINT SENSOR. The apps I use like my bank and stocks are now requiring me to remember the password in stead of logging in with my fingerprint. Google has had 4 months to correct this, and they have not. For this reason I am getting a different phone. There are also a number of apps I do not use at all cause I can't remember all my passwords. Instead I have to wait till I get to my home computer to log in such as my health chart for my medications and appointments (this is very important to me and I can't use it on my phone). This phone has ruined my Google loyalty and I am jumping ship. I may even go to Apple. I hear even though apple has facial recognition all there apps support it, something google does not have at this time. Sorry for my rant, but the fingerprint sensor is a sore spot for me as I have many apps that I no longer can use, I don't want to remember all the different passwords that I need to get into these.
I would do some research on the apps you use and if you will be able to use them if you switch. Good Luck

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel 4 XL is an ok phone for those who like it. I came from the Pixel 2 XL to the 4 XL and wish I had not done it. I wish the cell phone companies gave more then 14 days for a return cause in 14 days you are still learning the phone and you don't know if you like it or not yet. I for one am looking for a new phone, maybe the new Samsung being launched next week. I want the FINGERPRINT SENSOR. The apps I use like my bank and stocks are now requiring me to remember the password in stead of logging in with my fingerprint. Google has had 4 months to correct this, and they have not. For this reason I am getting a different phone. There are also a number of apps I do not use at all cause I can't remember all my passwords. Instead I have to wait till I get to my home computer to log in such as my health chart for my medications and appointments (this is very important to me and I can't use it on my phone). This phone has ruined my Google loyalty and I am jumping ship. I may even go to Apple. I hear even though apple has facial recognition all there apps support it, something google does not have at this time. Sorry for my rant, but the fingerprint sensor is a sore spot for me as I have many apps that I no longer can use, I don't want to remember all the different passwords that I need to get into these.
I would do some research on the apps you use and if you will be able to use them if you switch. Good Luck

I'm not gonna weight in on the general conversation b/c I don't own a Pixel. Just wanted to mention why Apple's face unlock works everywhere and Google's doesn't. Apple built biometrics in a little differently to how Google handles it. Anywhere TouchID on the iPhone works FaceID also works automatically. Devs didn't have to update anything on their end in order to get facial recognition to work. Apple was smart to write the underlying software like that instead of how Google chose to.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a pixel 4xl and I think it's best pixel to date . Battery last the whole day with it's 90hz on all the time and face id works for me without issue.

This thread will give you a ideal what apps work with face unlock.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=982664

I think if you can get a good deal go for it , black Friday got mine 550.00 including tax . Couldn't pass that up.

Yeah I’d upgrade despite promising my wife I wouldn’t if I found that price. Lol

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After settling into normal usage of my 4XL, I do not have any problems with battery life.

On the other hand, I greatly miss the fingerprint sensor. Given a choice between face unlock - even really good face unlock, which the Pixel 4 has - and a great fingerprint sensor - which the Pixel 3 had - I'd take the fingerprint sensor.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Lack of fingerprint was the biggest reason I did not upgrade from P3. I love the facial recognition on my new Samsung Tablet S6, but its not a device I take out of the home and not in/out of pocket all day long. Its cumbersome sometimes to pull up the tablet to my face to unlock and I can't imagine having to do that each time with my phone hundreds of times per day.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
OP, I recommend the Pixel 4 XL. I went from the 2 XL to the 4 XL last month and very happy with my decision, esp given the discounted price I got. For me, face unlock works good. The only time it doesn't work is when the camera is not at the right angle to see my face and then it allows me to use my back up unlock option. I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about. I wish it had the fingerprint scanner, but I only used it to pull down the menu bar. I have never used my fingerprint to unlock my phone and never will. It's a personal choice so the lack of a scanner is nothing to me. If you have a chance, find a display model and play with it. Thats what I did and it sold me and I'm very happy with my decision. Also, the battery is not an issue for me, but like other's said, depends on your usage, but I haven't any difference between my last phone. My guess if the 4 XL is better, despite the additional resources using it.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I can understand not having the fingerprint reader makes it a little more tedious getting into secured apps. But I really haven't missed the fingerprint reader. The face unlock has worked very well for me. Battery life on the 4XL has also been very good for me considering the screen resolution and 90hz refresh rate. I have no issues so far with my Pixel. I see the negative reviews and I don't really see the same issues. I think I live just about everything about this smartphone.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Finger print readers work better if wearing a face mask...

Google had nothing to do with apps not working..It was completely on the App developer. I still think my Arlo app doesn't work with face unlock. Glad the 4a has fingerprint.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non