So who's returning the Pixel 5 and why?

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung Galaxy S20 and returned it for a Google Pixel 5. I just couldn't get used to the Samsung OneUI environment. I prefer the way that Google Pixel's way of doing Android and timely updates.

Cindy

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
I was on the fence. But the form factor and the simplicity of the P5 ended up being the deciding factor. Really enjoying this phone, plus I was able to sell my N10+ on Swappa for 535.... Not bad

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
You always had a love/Hate relationship with Google but I agree with some things and disagree on others.
Yeah he loves to hate it.. Lmao

I don't have one to experience first hand but I can see some of the points... Most definitely... Guys on the other forum having issues with overheating... Overall I think more will be okay end of day...
Definitely a keeper, best Pixel to date for me after owning every Pixel. Will be my main backup phone since iOS is my current daily driver. I always prefer the pixel experience even though I own multiple android phones. Pixel is the only android phone which I keep the longest.
Nice and great to hear ya... I'm going with the 4a 5G as my backup... I'm giving away wireless charging and the 90hz and RAM but for a backup I think it will be just fine... I'm even thinking unlock bootloader and have a little fun...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah he loves to hate it.. Lmao

I don't have one to experience first hand but I can see some of the points... Most definitely... Guys on the other forum having issues with overheating... Overall I think more will be okay end of day... Nice and great to hear ya... I'm going with the 4a 5G as my backup... I'm giving away wireless charging and the 90hz and RAM but for a backup I think it will be just fine... I'm even thinking unlock bootloader and have a little fun...
For me they left out too many things on the pixel 4a for my liking.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You always had a love/Hate relationship with Google but I agree with some things and disagree on others.

Yeah I just feel they're getting progressively worse, especially when compared to its competition. They have the potential to be spectacular phones, but I see Google's complacency with its camera, it's wildly different phones year to year, the inconsistency of its strategy. It's just a mess.

The Pixel 5 imo is way too overpriced for what it offers. So I'll move to Apple. Maybe I'll come back when Google decide to make a phone they actually care about. I find it hard to believe Google had any interest/passion in making the 5.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I just feel they're getting progressively worse, especially when compared to its competition. They have the potential to be spectacular phones, but I see Google's complacency with its camera, it's wildly different phones year to year, the inconsistency of its strategy. It's just a mess.

The Pixel 5 imo is way too overpriced for what it offers. So I'll move to Apple. Maybe I'll come back when Google decide to make a phone they actually care about. I find it hard to believe Google had any interest/passion in making the 5.
What happened to the Samsung you had ?

whatboutbob

Oct 22, 2020
Visit site
I think I'll be returning mine.

I RMA'd my phone initially for the overheating issues. New phone arrived yesterday. Same issues. I'll try a factory reset first, but I'm not holding my breath, as the original phone overheated easily in safe mode.

Other issues with the phone:

1) Camera. No meaningful improvement over my pixel 2. In fact in some ways it is worse. I'm finding I miss some fleeting shots cos it is so laggy.

2) Top speaker: I still struggle to hear calls when there's any background noise on my end.

Otherwise it is a nice phone. Very familiar form factor coming from the pixel 2. Battery life is a delight.

My only hesitation in returning it is there's no replacement that leaps out at me. Perhaps I can eke out another few months from my P2 and see what the next gen brings...?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
What happened to the Samsung you had ?

Still have it but getting rid of it, along with the Pixel 5. Was contemplating just selling the 5 and sticking with the S10+, but decided against it. iPhone 12 Pro Max arrives tomorrow, so no more android for me. Not until something comes around to interest me again.....hopefully the Pixel 6?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Still have it but getting rid of it, along with the Pixel 5. Was contemplating just selling the 5 and sticking with the S10+, but decided against it. iPhone 12 Pro Max arrives tomorrow, so no more android for me. Not until something comes around to interest me again.....hopefully the Pixel 6?
Nothing wrong with your decision, I use both platforms , see what pixel 6 brings and might bring u back :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe this would be the case.
Half my friends and family are iPhone and the other half are Android. We all converse together on FB Messenger.

Sorry no disrespect but I think no one is choosing or are being stuck on one platform because of an app.
Some do when the rest of the family are using imessage or FaceTime.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But you see all of you have to be on FB messenger. I personally will never be on that platform. So what I am saying is if I choose to use Google messenger, or Samsung messaging, that text should reach me, and yet if you have left iMessage it may not. In the "old days" if I used Sprint, Att, or some other land line the call always reached the end user. It should be mandatory that a text message does the same. If not, they are using their service to keep you with them. I feel that is not fair in our communication environment.
Just my opinion.
Thank you for being so respectful in your response.
Never have a problem between Iphones and Androids missing messages. Not even when I switch back and forth between devices.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

We can hope, but I doubt the 6 will be much different :( The only pixels that have sold well have been the "a" line, so Google's seen the writing on the wall and given an "a" line phone a shot of steroids... and called it the pixel 5. Some of us wanted something more premium, but I think the pixel 5 is going to sell well to the masses because of it's price and features, and the 4a/5g is going to sell even better.

Even though I wanted something more premium myself, I think Google made the right call to try and make the pixel line more profitable. I'd rather have the 4a/5g and 5 around then no pixels at all :eek: