How do I transfer files directly from Pixel 7 Pro to a flash drive?

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
I could easily do it with my Pixel 5 but when I click on a file in my Pixel 7 Pro, and then hit "move to" or "copy to" I don't get an option to save to my flash drive only internal storage. When connected, my phone recognizes the flash drive and I can search it through Google files. I just can't transfer files to it

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

It's interesting that it isn't as straight forward as it was previously. I don't have a Pixel device so I can't really step you through it step by step but we have a Pixel forum where other users might be able to do just that. We can request to move this to that forum, @mustang7757 @B. Diddy, and in the meantime you could sign up so that you can respond to our questions and comments and leave your own.

To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Haven't tried a flash drive on my pixel, have you tried rebooting the phone ? Sometimes that fixes weird issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've never used a USB drive either, so I may not be much help either. Have you tried other file managers, like Total Commander?

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for your responses. @Jeremy8000, I don't know how the flash drive is formatted. I do know that my Pixel 7 Pro recognizes it and I can access it's files from the phone. I was also able to download files from my Pixel 5 directly into this same flash drive. For some reason, with the 7, when prompted as to where I want to move my files, only the internal storage comes up as an option. I can't figure it out

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your responses. @Jeremy8000, I don't know how the flash drive is formatted. I do know that my Pixel 7 Pro recognizes it and I can access it's files from the phone. I was also able to download files from my Pixel 5 directly into this same flash drive. For some reason, with the 7, when prompted as to where I want to move my files, only the internal storage comes up as an option. I can't figure it out
By any chance are the files in safe folder ?
I would try like B. Diddy mentioned also trying Total Commander file manager

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

To my knowledge, there are no differences between the 7 and 7 Pro that would prevent one of them from addressing files on a USB drive that the other is able to, if all softwares are similar and similarly updated. That's a strange one.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
To my knowledge, there are no differences between the 7 and 7 Pro that would prevent one of them from addressing files on a USB drive that the other is able to, if all softwares are similar and similarly updated. That's a strange one.
I found this info the pro has usb 3.1 and 7 has 3.2 not sure how accurate that is from phone arena Screenshot_20221123-114139.jpg

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I found this info the pro has usb 3.1 and 7 has 3.2 not sure how accurate that is from phone arena

Unusual, especially in that the Pro would typically be anticipated to have the incremental upgrades.

Still, if it worked for the OP's Pixel 5 (which also uses USB C 3.1), that shouldn't be a barrier.

Of course, USB C nomenclature is a master class in incompetence as the same thing can have been labeled 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 at different times...
USBC.png

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unusual, especially in that the Pro would typically be anticipated to have the incremental upgrades.

Still, if it worked for the OP's Pixel 5 (which also uses USB C 3.1), that shouldn't be a barrier.

Of course, USB C nomenclature is a master class in incompetence as the same thing can have been labeled 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 at different times...
View attachment 350049
I agree shouldn't be the barrier

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I was curious about this. I'll start by saying I have a Pixel 7, not a 7 Pro. I plugged in a flash drive using the adapter that was in the box with my phone, I immediately got a pop-up from the file manager I have installed - Solid Explorer - asking if I wanted to open the file manager to do stuff with the USB drive. I did, selected a file and copied it right over to the USB drive.

Now the curious part - I opened the Google files app and it sees the drive but it won't let me copy to it!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was curious about this. I'll start by saying I have a Pixel 7, not a 7 Pro. I plugged in a flash drive using the adapter that was in the box with my phone, I immediately got a pop-up from the file manager I have installed - Solid Explorer - asking if I wanted to open the file manager to do stuff with the USB drive. I did, selected a file and copied it right over to the USB drive.

Now the curious part - I opened the Google files app and it sees the drive but it won't let me copy to it!
Thanks for verifying
Im going look for my usb c adapter to usb flash drive see what I find

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site

Hi Hallux. Thank you for the info. Maybe using File Manager will be an acceptable work-around. Your experience with transferring documents through Google files is exactly the problem I am trying to figure out. I did not have this issue with my Pixel 5 so I assume the effect was intentional.

Thanks to everyone else for your generous responses

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Hallux. Thank you for the info. Maybe using File Manager will be an acceptable work-around. Your experience with transferring documents through Google files is exactly the problem I am trying to figure out. I did not have this issue with my Pixel 5 so I assume the effect was intentional.

Thanks to everyone else for your generous responses

Do you see any option to allow USB storage access in Files by Google, as mentioned in the link I previously shared?

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
When you plug in the USB drive, do you see a notification in Files by Google asking you to Allow USB storage access? https://support.google.com/files/answer/9301516?hl=en

Hi B. Diddy. No, I do see a notification but it only asked to explore or eject. I received nothing from Google files asking for a ess permission. However, when I open files, the flash drive appears in the storage section and I can access it.