10-23-2011 09:49 PM
67 123
tools
    Yeah, now that ICS is out, it's old news. We need to hype the next version of Android: Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookie! It's going to support virtualization, 2TB RAM, 7 3DHD screens and the Flex Capacitor! You'll be able to run iOS, Android, Windows 9, and MacOS Meercat! The fun stuff happens when your car goes over 88mph!
    10-22-2011 01:09 AM
    If you don't think the nexus is competitive, you can continue to wait until you find hardware that is acceptable to you, in the mean time I will be enjoying ics. Then when you finally get you're competitive device right before google announces the j-release you will have months of waiting while I will have only weeks.
    10-22-2011 01:12 AM
    Hence giving you the extra efficiency for brute-forcing RSA encryptions, or mining Bitcoins, or other tasks which obviously require you to have the most cutting edge phone hardware.
    Or the ability to play better graphics games.
    10-22-2011 01:17 AM
    Or the ability to play better graphics games.
    What games are aiming so far at the high end that the Galaxy Nexus can't play them? Remember that the much vaunted TegraZone games are only optimized for Tegra chips, not exclusive to them. Furthermore the Galaxy Nexus will be playing pretty much any game made for Android for the next year or two because it is the official Google development device, so you actually have a much better shot at game compatibility with it.

And with such a beautiful screen, I highly doubt any game could look bad on it.
    10-22-2011 01:25 AM
    Why wait for better hard ware? Nexus devises always own the speed (stock) charts until just before a new one comes out despite usually having lesser hard ware than devices that come out around the same time...why you might ask... because the software and hardware are made for each other instead of the software adapted for said hardware ...this why iPhones...nexus phones are almost going to be the best running phones until the next nexus phone.

D.J.
    10-22-2011 01:26 AM
    As far as waiting goes? Tomorrow isn't promised.
    Best line ever.
    10-22-2011 01:30 AM
    What games are aiming so far at the high end that the Galaxy Nexus can't play them? Remember that the much vaunted TegraZone games are only optimized for Tegra chips, not exclusive to them. Furthermore the Galaxy Nexus will be playing pretty much any game made for Android for the next year or two because it is the official Google development device, so you actually have a much better shot at game compatibility with it.

well he does have a point in that pushing that many pixels will use a lot more gpu power, limiting what the gpu can actually draw.
    10-22-2011 01:30 AM

You need to stop thinking in the materialistic moment and look towards the future, within which a quad-core device with a far superior GPU will have much greater potential for, and much greater "future proofness". With your standards, getting such a device when it first comes out will last you 4 years and not just two, doubling your money's worth.
    10-22-2011 01:33 AM
    well he does have a point in that pushing that many pixels will use a lot more gpu power, limiting what the gpu can actually draw.
    Any game that came out within the next year with such high requirements that the Galaxy Nexus couldn't meet them or run it smoothly would be seriously limiting it's audience to a point I'm unwilling to believe any reasonable developer would be fine with, let's be real here. This is a brand new phone people. This isn't an OG Droid, or god forbid, an HTC Hero.

You need to stop thinking in the materialistic moment and look towards the future, within which a quad-core device with a far superior GPU will have much greater potential for, and much greater "future proofness". With your standards, getting such a device when it first comes out will last you 4 years and not just two, doubling your money's worth.
    I am looking towards the future. That's why I'm getting the device that gives me full, unrestricted freedom over the software as an intended feature and will run any Android upgrades that come out in the forseeable future. Worse case scenario is that Google suddenly does something absolutely insane with Android 5.2 that means I absolutely can't run it and I just shove it off and replace it with Tizen. (Or maybe someone will finally make a decent mobile Debian distro.)

I have tons of great software and hacking options, none of which are limited by not being able to play Battlefield 3 on my phone.
    10-22-2011 01:35 AM
    Quad-core devices will be available in August 2012. I have no insider information, this is just my opinion. If I happen to be correct I could always go back on this thread and tell everyone "I told you so".

Oh, and will quad-core really be a big upgrade from dual-core? I don't want a phone that devours power in exchange for a weak battery. I like to have my things balanced.
    10-22-2011 01:38 AM
    The thing to remember is that development isn't based around the best that is available, it is based around what the majority has. A lot of android users do not have a top of the line gpu, and since most normal people only update once every two years, the specs the average user has will improve at a fairly slow rate. That means that, just like now, a significantly more powerful gpu will do you little good.

If you really want to see better, more graphically intense games on the market, hope for low end handsets to get better.
    10-22-2011 01:44 AM
    Why wait for better hard ware? Nexus devises always own the speed (stock) charts until just before a new one comes out despite usually having lesser hard ware than devices that come out around the same time...why you might ask... because the software and hardware are made for each other instead of the software adapted for said hardware ...this why iPhones...nexus phones are almost going to be the best running phones until the next nexus phone.

D.J.
    I doubt the nexus out performs the GS2. Most powerful phone I have seen so far is the note, and I highly doubt the nexus will run better than that monster.

Quad-core devices will be available in August 2012. I have no insider information, this is just my opinion. If I happen to be correct I could always go back on this thread and tell everyone "I told you so".

Oh, and will quad-core really be a big upgrade from dual-core? I don't want a phone that devours power in exchange for a weak battery. I like to have my things balanced.
    Going back and looking at the Tegra 3 demos compared to tegra 2.. quad core is a pretty big boost. I mean if you like to browse, game, watch HD movies, edit videos, stream/video chat, remote controlling things, etc. Also Tegra 3 is supposed to be just as battery efficient or better than tegra 2. The transformer prime will be out soon... will put things into perspective for a lot of people.
    10-22-2011 01:57 AM
    Going back and looking at the Tegra 3 demos compared to tegra 2.. quad core is a pretty big boost. I mean if you like to browse, game, watch HD movies, edit videos, stream/video chat, remote controlling things, etc. Also Tegra 3 is supposed to be just as battery efficient or better than tegra 2. The transformer prime will be out soon... will put things into perspective for a lot of people.
    That is because these demos are written to take advantage of the extra processing threads, which in reality, very few apps will do.

As for the transformer prime, quad core will likely be the standard for tablets in the the first half of 2012, but I seriously doubt that we will see many, if any quad core phones before the summer. Remember, tegra did not see much traction inside of phones and most oems did not go dual core until qualcom and ti released dual core chips. It will likely be similar with quad core.
    10-22-2011 02:02 AM
    That is because these demos are written to take advantage of the extra processing threads, which in reality, very few apps will do.
    That just means the phone will last you even longer.
    10-22-2011 02:06 AM
    That just means the phone will last you even longer.
    This isn't even a question of adoption driving development, even on the desktop where quad core has been available and standard for years, most apps don't support multi threading. This is because multi threading is hard, and in some cases, not even possible. To do multi threading at all, your program has to contain several parts that do not have dependencies upon each other so that they can be computed in parallel. Parrallelizem is one of the greatest challenges of modern computer science, and if anyone comes up with a good solution, it will be the biggest revolution since object oriented design. This is why intel has not followed amd down the "cram more cores in" race and intel's quad core cpus outperform amd's 8 core cpus.

The dual core case is different, as long as the system intelligently assigns threads the foreground process can be run on one core and the system and background processes run on another. Dual core can be leveraged without the app developers doing anything.
    10-22-2011 02:16 AM
    Why buy a car today when you know that next year will be a faster better looking model
    10-22-2011 02:56 AM
    Why buy a car today when you know that next year will be a faster better looking model
    That is a bad example. Car models don't have major changes but once every 5-7 years. I would gladly wait a year or two if I knew they were releasing a new chassis/engine then, instead of buying the current one.You also don't get a new car every year (or 6 months for some people ).

I do know what you mean though and I do agree with the premise. the longest I would wait for a newer phone is 1-2 months, but that doesn't actually work very well since you rarely know the carrier's release schedule that far ahead of time.

I feel like they would rather you feel screwed when a month after you get your phone a better one comes out than to have a bad sales month. Verizon is the worst about that.
    10-22-2011 05:00 AM
    It's not so much quad core, per se, but what we expect to see incorporated into the 28 nm quad core chips (significant die shrink). Someone said the next generation GPUs will be 5x more powerful, which has gotta help with HD screens. Integrated 2nd generation LTE radios? I'm actually more interested in hearing about advances in the radio tech, 'though we may have to wait longer for Verizon to work out the kinks in their eHRPD/LTE network. The Nexus Prime would be an excellent upgrade for anyone who's still stuck in 3G-Land, but I'm still quite happy with my ThunderBolt so I'd rather wait a bit and see what's next.

Thanks, Robrecht
    10-22-2011 05:56 AM
    Yes.
    10-22-2011 06:08 AM
    Can't really say much new, but I can provide you my own personal experience.

Last year around this time it was the same issue. Mostly single core phones, but Tegra 2 was talked about and I figured in a few months there would be a dual core worth getting. Well between delays and devices not coming to Verizon, I'm still waiting. I'm getting the Nexus. You can wait, but as most have said, there will always be something better just around the corner. The great thing about a Nexus is not the hardware, they have never really been bleeding edge, but the software and fast updates. Other phones might have better hardware, but that hardware might not work as well with the software and any software issues could take a while to receive an update.

It is up to you, if you have a phone that you like now then feel free to wait. Read about Tegra 3 though and you will see that NVIDIA is already working on the successors(code-names Wayne, Logan, and Stark) and they are trying to release one each year. By the time you see the quad cores start coming out in most phones, you might have the next gen of cores around the corner.
    10-22-2011 06:29 AM
    Last year around this time it was the same issue. Mostly single core phones, but Tegra 2 was talked about and I figured in a few months there would be a dual core worth getting. Well between delays and devices not coming to Verizon, I'm still waiting. I'm getting the Nexus.
    It is the same with me, but this year was just completely thrown out of wack because of 4g. Things should go a lot smoother next year.
    10-22-2011 06:38 AM
    At the end of the day, if Google didn't think that the OMAP processor and associated GPU were not up to the job, they would not have put them in their Flagship device.

I have a 2 year old HTC Desire (I have no idea what SoC this runs), and it still runs almost anything I throw at it!
    10-22-2011 06:48 AM
    At the end of the day, if Google didn't think that the OMAP processor and associated GPU were not up to the job, they would not have put them in their Flagship device.
    Put perfectly, I would ask anyone questioning the gpu and processor to explain why Google and Samsung, who are smarter and have more inside knowledge of future hardware and software comparability, as well as having their own reputations to worry about, would be so willing to put this phone together the way they did... instead of knocking it...just for a minute please take the tact of explaining why they used out dated hardware?
    10-22-2011 07:22 AM
    Put perfectly, I would ask anyone questioning the gpu and processor to explain why Google and Samsung, who are smarter and have more inside knowledge of future hardware and software comparability, as well as having their own reputations to worry about, would be so willing to put this phone together the way they did... instead of knocking it...just for a minute please take the tact of explaining why they used out dated hardware?
    No need to be defensive, I'm not knocking the Nexus. I think it's a great phone. I don't think the hardware is out-dated, but it's not the next generation, which is what people are talking about here. Newer GPUs tend to be incorporated with significantly new chips, especiallically as the die shrinks.
    10-22-2011 07:31 AM
    the nexus is not about bleeding edge hardware...it is about bleeding edge software that works better with the hard ware it comes with...If you prefer better stats on hardware even though the software is not optimized for said hardware then get one of the other 100 different android devices...If you want the newest software that is optimized to squeeze the most out of the hardware it comes with then get this phone either way I am getting this phone because I want it and it will be worlds better then my htc evo which in its current state (rooted and cm7) can do anything I can think of.

With this phone I will get better processor, better screen, more ram, more storage than I have, faster storage, no more having to wait for some one to make software I like to work with said hardware, a better network (though I loose my unlimited data) and most importanly ICS and any update that comes after it for probably 2 to 3 years if I keep it that long way before any other phone does.
    10-22-2011 07:35 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD