Galaxy Nexus 4.2 Android Troubleshooting

KlineAJ

Jul 8, 2010
www.KlineAJ.com
Hello,
Many of us have now captured the jelly bean flavor 4.2 with our Galaxy GSM Nexus. However some of us may have developed... a stomach ache of sorts from over indulging on jelly bean sweets.:-[
I myself have had the issue of the whole operating system being slowed down to a crawl to the point when I push the power button it will take a second or two to turn off the screen and sometimes even longer to turn on.:mad:
I would like to start this thread to try to pin point specific problems of this operating system and attempt to solve them.
Please this is NOT the thread to discuss with everyone else that you have lost your battery charge faster by 5 seconds. It is the thread to state that you have noticed significant power drain and have attempted to solve it with solution A and B.:-$
I have so far fixed my personal issues with the operating system by simply doing a factory reset. I strongly recommend doing a backup and a factory reset before doing anything more complicated than that.:eek:

I have also noticed from a security standpoint of a company that it no longer enforces security settings from Exchange (email) such as passwords and pins for the lock screen. I now have to look into this deeper for my workplace as that is now an issue (although personally I really like the freedom of just sliding to unlock, seems so much more...breathable.:cool:)

Let us begin the GROUP THINK.:D

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
My only gripe with 4.2 is my wifi performance seems to have gone to pot. I seem to loose wifi signal even when I'm sitting within feet of the router. I've battery pulled, rebooted, wiped dalvic and cache. Other then that I haven't had a chance to really troubleshoot. I was going to start by switching to a different baseband to start with, unless someone else has a better idea. I'm pure stock (with Apex launcher). I had flashed 4.2 previously and rooted when I experienced these issues. So I wiped/factory reset and flashed it again (but lost root in the process) with no improvement.

Previously I was running AOKP Jellybean Milestone1, Franco's M6 kernel, and a North American specific baseband.

I'll check this thread but if no one has any ideas I'll root and try a different baseband. If that helps I'll come back and report.

MerkurMan

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had wifi issues as well, but not to do with connecting to the router, but with staying connected to Google's servers. When I first turn wifi on, the signal indicators will go blue to indicate I'm plugged in the Goog. When I let the device sleep for any length of time though, the bars go grey, and I have no sync or Web access. A simple toggle off and on fixes it, but it's so annoying that I've just left wifi off.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed that but I have my wifi set to never sleep. Try that and see if it helps? Battery life might take a hit but I've got an extended battery so I don't worry about it to much

sent from my rotary phone

Last edited:

sanman202

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Since the first update after the original install of JB I've had three instances of the phone not communicating with the battery widget, the Google calendar, and no weather app widget updating. I had to restart the phone all those times. I use the calendar widget for work and it would go blank and if its not blank the scrolling would stop. The widget allows for vertical scrolling of the events/dates. Seems like the op system stops communicating for some reason. I did not install any new apps. Have not done a fact reset and only want to if absolutely necessary. Anyone else have this issue. I know the battery widget was wrong because there was a different value in percentage when I went into the phone settings and compared it to the widget. I also used two different widget apps to see if it duplicated and it did.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Just checking in. Baseband Does NOT appear to fix wifi dropping out. I'll continue to check into it

sent from my rotary phone

baidya

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Navigation(Google) seems to be struck on "waiting for signal" and not going beyond...
Verified that GPS signal is good and other navigation apps(waze) are working fine...

kinnetics1

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a strange problem with the Unread counts for both my GMail and Messaging apps after the 4.2 update. Messages won't be marked as "read" even after they've been viewed. This happens sporadically. Also, does anyone know what happened to the live effects (big eyes, small mouth, other face-morphing effects) that the Galaxy Nexus used to have when in camcorder mode? I can't seem to find it in the settings anymore.

lynmarti

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
If your unread mail indicator indicates that you have unread mail that doesn't show in your inbox, check All Mail. Since the update, I've noticed some messages don't appear in the inbox.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

salamin

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i updated my galaxy nexus via OTA on 4.2 and find what i have read on each of this threads, buggy, with lags. I thought about doing a factory reset, but then i read somewhere that with just doing a Wipe Partition Cache will do the trick for the lags on 4.2. So i did it, and im much happier with the build!!

mihirbellare

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my gsm gnex to 4.2 just last week. I never had this problem before. The screen just goes black. I have to pull my battery off to get it back working. But this happens really often. Its getting really irritating. :'( I am in love with my Gnex. Hope google releases a update with the fix soon.

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm having problems using my phone as a hotspot. My laptop can't connect to it.

If somebody has issues with system slowdown, I would suggest a master reset - should help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

DarH

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys updated my device last night (yakju) and I think I must be the only person not to have any issues to report.

Yes the December date is missing the people app but that's it, no lag no Wi-Fi problems.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys updated my device last night (yakju) and I think I must be the only person not to have any issues to report.

Yes the December date is missing the people app but that's it, no lag no Wi-Fi problems.

Same here

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

alexgv99

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm from Brazil, but I bought my International GSM Galaxy Nexus a few months ago in Germany, though. I've received the yacju 4.2 a week ago and I'm having some issues since then: my phone has been rebooted some times a day, and, everything I save in the internal SD card is not visible in PC (through micro USB cable) until I restart the Nexus. Is really annoying. I've read in some blogs that this problem is related to the multi user feature in the new Jelly Bean. Does anyone having the same problem?​

Guys, updating the info... I've reseted my phone to factory image and all the troubles are gone. I know this is not the dream solution but was good enough to me.

Last edited:

ibarot

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I updated my galaxy nexus (takju) to 4.2 via OTA. I have not seen any performance problems but somehow I am not able to get the photosphere to work. I keep the blue dot in the circle but for even after 20 seconds nothing happens...I see 3 blue dots on the top, one blinking...does this mean anything? Anybody facing similar issues with photosphere?
thanks.

jcage jr

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue......was doing a battery pull 5-6 times a day. Also my phone would lag when hitting the power button and using the keyboard. Finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset. All is well so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenharvi