Google Wifi vs Onhub+ Google Wifi

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I see that the TPLink version of Onhub can be had for $120, and my understanding is that the Onhub can be used in tandem with Google Wifi to create a mesh network. With the price drop, I am wondering if there is any reason to do an Onhub+Google Wifi versus simply Google Wifi. It would not cost that much more. Has anyone explored this?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google WiFi 1 Pack = $129, TPLink OnHub = $120 - 2 points in the network = $249. Price per access point = $124.50
Google WiFi 1 Pack = $129, Google Wifi 1 Pack = $129 - 2 points in the network = $258. Price per access point = $129.00
Google WiFi 3 Pack = $299 - 3 points in the network = $299. Price per access point = $99.67

Of those three options, the three pack makes the most sense to me, but it is $50 more than having a WiFi + TPLink, cheapest option. Since htere is only a $9 difference between TPLink OnHub and the 1 Pack, I think two 1 packs is a smarter buy than getting the OnHub to mix in - but the best value is definitely in the 3 pack.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
For anyone interested, I was able to confirm via a Google ambassador that once Google WiFi launches, a software update will push to onhubs that will not only allow them to create mesh networks with Google WiFi, but also to create mesh networks with other onhubs. It sounds like onhubs will run identical software to Google WiFi. So if you can find onhubs for less than $100 they may be the cheapest way to go.

I am more interested in the hardware performance, and am wondering if 3 onhubs meshed will outperform 3 Google WiFi.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For anyone interested, I was able to confirm via a Google ambassador that once Google WiFi launches, a software update will push to onhubs that will not only allow them to create mesh networks with Google WiFi, but also to create mesh networks with other onhubs. It sounds like onhubs will run identical software to Google WiFi. So if you can find onhubs for less than $100 they may be the cheapest way to go.

I am more interested in the hardware performance, and am wondering if 3 onhubs meshed will outperform 3 Google WiFi.

They literally use the same app too. It's just an updated version for google wifi.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Here is a note from Onhub/Google Wifi support. They are now combined into one area to reflect the fact that Onhub is soon to become Wifi. Their software and functionality will be identical.

Hi everybody, apologies for the delayed response. The OnHubs should provide better range relative to the Google Wifi points. You should see a slight performance improvement with OnHubs. Whether you choose to use Google Wifi or OnHub in the end comes down to whether you are willing to spend extra for multiple OnHubs (unless you find some on sale, as I see some people have!). Mind, neither OnHub nor Google Wifi support wireless bridged mode. Google Wifi's mesh nodes are effectively running in bridged mode, but they are part of a mesh group and cannot be run standalone and bridged wirelessly while connected to a third party router. So you will need ethernet cables connected!

Courtney
Wifi Care Team

When asked if Onhub can mesh with multiple Onhubs and or Google WiFi points here is the answer:

Correct! OnHubs will be able to mesh with one other at the same time that OnHub and Google Wifi will be able to mesh together. This should begin working shortly.

Courtney
Wifi Care Support

So, the Onhubs at blowout pricing right now could not represent a better value!