Who's going to give their Honor 8 up for a Honor 9?

ce_tx

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
Oh I like that... I am taking one for the team! Not sure if i could claim it was a selfless act though!

Just saying I consider people's thoughts on other phones a valuable contribution to being an informed consumer. I don't have the patience to tinker with a lot of different devices, so I do appreciate those who can do it! Didn't mean to make a joke of it if that's how it came across!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just saying I consider people's thoughts on other phones a valuable contribution to being an informed consumer. I don't have the patience to tinker with a lot of different devices, so I do appreciate those who can do it! Didn't mean to make a joke of it if that's how it came across!

I too benefit from the insight of others when it comes to picking a phone. Reviewers of technological expertise on YouTube are an invaluable resource as well. I agree, it's great to have the opinions and reviews of others to help you decide!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was interested in the Axon 7 since it was supposed to work with Verizon but upon further research, there were problems so I decided to pass. Service quality is why I am on Verizon to begin with and a phone with inferior service on Verizon just isn't worth it.

Not an issue for those on GSM carriers though .

I'm sorry it doesn't work well with Verizon! But it's good that you found that out now as opposed to later! :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Oh no offense was taken. People's input is certainly valuable, especially if it comes from someone who has a similar mindset as you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry it doesn't work well with Verizon! But it's good that you found that out now as opposed to later! :)

That's true. I ordered the Axon 7 when it went on sale for $277 back in September 2016, and started researching and found many people had issues and cancelled the order. In hind sight, i probably should have kept it and used it to try it out then sell it if it didn't work on l out.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
That's true. I ordered the Axon 7 when it went on sale for $277 back in September 2016, and started researching and found many people had issues and cancelled the order. In hind sight, i probably should have kept it and used it to try it out then sell it if it didn't work on l out.

Wow! $277? That is awesome! I'd buy one brand new in a second for that price. Right now I'm waiting for it to go on sale then decide if I'm going to get it or not. I'm also trying to wait on the Honor 9 to ever hit the US. I think that will be a good while. What I do like about the Axon 7 is the high resolution, all metal build (I love a device that is all metal), the 820 processor and then the camera is pretty good with lastly a good size battery. To me those are the main factors in deciding on whether I purchase a phone or not. The Axon 7 indeed has all those said features and makes it a device I would not mind and enjoy using. I actually just received my iPhone SE back after a brief trade for a Blackberry Priv which ended up having a faulty charging port. I'm happy in the end though as the iPhone is a great device and nothing I've found to date beats apples fluid interface. That said the iPhone SE is a very small device so I'm definitely in the market for another Android Phone that has a larger screen size. I've decided for now I'm going to hang on to my SE as it's a great phone to conceal and put in your pocket and what not. Plus it's zippy and has a good camera. I'm a long time apple user anyway which is one major reason I like EMUI so much. It's simply nothing like stock pure Android which compared to IOS is quite choppy and sticky overall. I'm not downing Android in any way as one of my favorite devices I've ever used was the Nexus 6p and it's more stock Android but to me it was very smooth interface wise. The reviews I've seen and the research I've done suggests that the Axon 7 to be a lot like the Nexus 6p in almost every aspect. That is another reason I'm considering getting it. I'd like to see what the Axon 8 has to offer too. Oh and I almost forgot about how awesome the sound system is on the Axon 7 too. People have held it to be the best on the market. I think I'm going to keep my SE though bc it's a handy device to use when you don't won't a huge Android device with a 5.5 plus inch display. It's hard to put that in your pocket and go. That said I do want a larger screen device to research and read articles. Watch an occasional movie on which the Axon has the high quad resolution for that. Then it's much easier to browse the web and read my fill of lots of articles which I enjoy doing. I crave knowledge so I spend a lot of time reading on my phones and the SE is quite hard to do that comfortably. I might start sub teaching high school as I used to teach college courses on the side. Teaching at a actual high school I think the SE will be perfect to keep in my pocket and conceal as opposed to the trying to lug the Axon 7 in my pocket all day teaching. I typically keep two devices one small and one larger. To me the ideal screen size is 5 inches. That's is what is drawing me to the honor 9 as they have brought it down to 5.1 inches from 5.2 which real world is very noticeable to feel.

To comment on people buying new devices to me big time varies on the person. I find it to be a hobby and I enjoy learning a new interface so for me I have gone through a lot of Android devices for only having been using Android now for a little over a year. It's fun to me but it can become very expensive too so I've cut back a lot and I actually used my Honor 8 exclusively for quite a while for me anyway.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it was such a good price but in the end I cancelled the order because it didn't work on Verizon plus I have too many phones and while $277 is a great price, my s8+ was $350 on contract which isn't much more. Granted it isn't directly comparable but my plan doesn't have a surcharge for going on contract so my monthly premium is the same.

The SE is a great phone, my wife loves hers. But man it is way too small for me.

I certainly understand the expensiveness and have been trying to cut back myself. Let's see how that goes in a few months with the upcoming phones

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Who's going to give their 8 up for a 9?

1080p shouldn't be a deal breaker on a phone, it's plenty good enough for a 55" TV so any size phone screen should be fine.

1080p might be ok for a TV due to the viewing distance but on larger screen sizes, above 6", the fhd vs QHD could be noticeable. Put a fhd tablet next to a QHD tablet... Many would be able to tell the difference. Of course it might be good enough for you... Just that some will be able to tell the difference.

And you can certainly tell with vr.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
1080p might be ok for a TV due to the viewing distance but on larger screen sizes, above 6", the fhd vs QHD could be noticeable. Put a fhd tablet next to a QHD tablet... Many would be able to tell the difference. Of course it might be good enough for you... Just that some will be able to tell the difference.

And you can certainly tell with vr.
I just think for a device with over a 5.7 inch screen size that retails for $599, it should automatic that is has a higher resolution than 1080p. I'm not knocking honor here but I am knocking Huawei for it. I really wanted a Mate 9 but at that price point it should be a given that it have a high resolution. If the Huawei side truly wants to officially hit the US and I mean all the major carriers like their plan is do, then they will never fully over take Samsung like I've been saying they will for a long while now if they don't step up in that department. Sure the Mate 9 probably has a awesome battery life but I'm still stuck on $600 dollars on what, a 5.9 inch screen and it be the same resolution as the $350 dollar Honor 8 and 9. That was a corner that should not have been cut to me personally. I'm quite sure things like that will change once Huawei Honor officially connects with the US market and carriers or especially the Huawei side since it's branded as their flagship side and honor being their budget side. Time will tell

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just think for a device with over a 5.7 inch screen size that retails for $599, it should automatic that is has a higher resolution than 1080p. I'm not knocking honor here but I am knocking Huawei for it. I really wanted a Mate 9 but at that price point it should be a given that it have a high resolution. If the Huawei side truly wants to officially hit the US and I mean all the major carriers like their plan is do, then they will never fully over take Samsung like I've been saying they will for a long while now if they don't step up in that department. Sure the Mate 9 probably has a awesome battery life but I'm still stuck on $600 dollars on what, a 5.9 inch screen and it be the same resolution as the $350 dollar Honor 8 and 9. That was a corner that should not have been cut to me personally. I'm quite sure things like that will change once Huawei Honor officially connects with the US market and carriers or especially the Huawei side since it's branded as their flagship side and honor being their budget side. Time will tell

Yeah I definitely agree with you... At that price it should be QHD as it's the only Android that I know of at $600 or above that's only fhd.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I definitely agree with you... At that price it should be QHD as it's the only Android that I know of at $600 or above that's only fhd.
I'd still like to get one but that does make me wonder. I'm sure it's fine but for the money you'd think.

I just ordered the Samsung S8 regular size. I have been wanting that phone. It'll be here tomorrow and I'm excited to use it. I'll still be getting the honor 9 when it finally gets released. I've just been wanting the S8 ever since I first handled it a while back. It's been a while since I've had a big time flagship device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems this topic has been more about the S8 versus anything to do with the Honor 8 and 9. Shall I merge the S8 talk with the post made on the S8 area since it's more on topic?

Good point. Back on topic... I am getting ready to sell my Honor 8 to make way for the Honor 9... But not really sure i should take the plunge as Honor hasn't released a USA release date.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Good point. Back on topic... I am getting ready to sell my Honor 8 to make way for the Honor 9... But not really sure i should take the plunge as Honor hasn't released a USA release date.
I would hold off for a while as I personally believe it will be December or even January before we see it here in the US honestly. I would have held off on my S8 for the Honor 9 had it been released but it's going to be a while. I believe they are still taking pre-orders in China for the 9 so we've got a while yet.

On a different note I just received my Red Carbon Fiber and Blue Carbon Fiber Dbrand Skin for my S8 just now. I just installed it. Here are some pics.

169b81f27110d63d444bcf3572b2fea6.jpg

f5971ce306df007091bcc97995ee5599.jpg

5f65f763b417d367f75fa55d9615b85e.jpg

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I would hold off for a while as I personally believe it will be December or even January before we see it here in the US honestly. I would have held off on my S8 for the Honor 9 had it been released but it's going to be a while. I believe they are still taking pre-orders in China for the 9 so we've got a while yet.

On a different note I just received my Red Carbon Fiber and Blue Carbon Fiber Dbrand Skin for my S8 just now. I just installed it. Here are some pics.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170707/169b81f27110d63d444bcf3572b2fea6.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170707/f5971ce306df007091bcc97995ee5599.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170707/5f65f763b417d367f75fa55d9615b85e.jpg
I was going after a Cap America and Spiderman theme as I'm a huge marvel fan and collector. Turned out pretty sweet I think. I won't be using a case now. It gives it plenty of grip. Hopefully they will end up offering skins to the honor 9 as I would definitely get this same set up on one. I know I'm definitely getting an honor 9 when it finally releases here in the US.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I remember last year, the Honor 8 coming for sale or maybe it was preorder in August or September. I was hoping it would follow the same timeline. Oh well. If it comes in December or January like you are predicting then maybe i will get a note 8 or iPhone 8 first and see how things go. I would prefer to try out the Honor 9 first but that would be hard if it is released that late here

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was going after a Cap America and Spiderman theme as I'm a huge marvel fan and collector. Turned out pretty sweet I think. I won't be using a case now. It gives it plenty of grip. Hopefully they will end up offering skins to the honor 9 as I would definitely get this same set up on one. I know I'm definitely getting an honor 9 when it finally releases here in the US.

I am hoping that Huawei can swing a carrier deal with the honor 9. That would give it a lot more exposure and with exposure comes more accessories, typically speaking

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I am hoping that Huawei can swing a carrier deal with the honor 9. That would give it a lot more exposure and with exposure comes more accessories, typically speaking
Very true but Huawei stated they aren't coming to the US until around the 5g hits the market. That is two years off roughly.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana