Is the HTC 10 priced too high?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Looks like this phone is going up against the high end Samsung phones price wise. Is that a good thing or should they have priced out somewhere between mid-range and high end as a compromise, like the L5 G5 range...They don't have the marketing power so how are they going to be able to get the word out there apart from the die hards...could be a risky move, but could also be a great move, time will tell...

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Priced too high?

i dont think it matters since more and more are adopting the lease options from carriers. It's similarly priced as the G5 and S7

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

i dont think it matters since more and more are adopting the lease options from carriers. It's similarly priced as the G5 and S7

More and more people are buying unlocked and outright.

For the person looking at the phones like the Nexus 6P, Moto X Pure Edition, and Nexus 5X, IMO this HTC 10's price is quite ridiculous.

At $699.99, this is also more expensive than the unlocked 32GB LG G5 ($649.99).

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

what world is this where we are saying this is priced to high? If you do not want to pay the unlocked cost of 699.00 wait until the carrier offers it most likely you will get the payment break down. However the GS7 Unlocked is 800.00 we are not talking carrier branded but pure unlocked so 1. the is actually cheaper by 100.00 getting it from HTC directly not importers or bestbuy who raise the price. 2. stop acting as if Samsung is the only manufacture that can charge over 500.00 for a phone geesh. This phone with its specs is worth it and build quality is great unlike what LG did with the G5 lets see how this feels to the touch, weight, and just over all finish of the phone.

momo662

Banned
Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

For the person looking at the phones like the Nexus 6P, Moto X Pure Edition, and Nexus 5X, IMO this HTC 10's price is quite reasonable.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

For the person looking at the phones like the Nexus 6P, Moto X Pure Edition, and Nexus 5X, IMO this HTC 10's price is quite reasonable.

..yes. $200 more is reasonable.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

No, the OP's point is right on the money. At $700, HTC is definitely setting its sights on standard-sized iPhones and Samsung's top of the line. I've no doubt that both HTC and the 10 deserve to play in that league, but that's very risky competition for a company still trying to make up for back to back years of declining sales. It'll certainly help if reviewers line up to claim that the 10 outclasses the 6Ps camera as well as its all-metal body (or any other qualities). If they end up considering the 6P to be the 10's closest competitor, though, that won't be a good thing.

madgalaxy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

I think it is priced correctly and on par with other flagships - that want to make money. The OnePlus, Nexus 6P, etc have very slim margins (HTC has their Desire line for the mid-range). Also do not forget it comes with UH OH protection when bought through HTC.com. AND the bootloader can be unlocked (points finger at Samsung).

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

More and more people are buying unlocked and outright.

Maybe for those who are on online forums, but Wallstreet figures disagree. At&t, t-mobile and Verizon installment plan adopters keep growing and growing.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Maybe for those who are on online forums, but Wallstreet figures disagree. At&t, t-mobile and Verizon installment plan adopters keep growing and growing.

I'm assuming you think I mean that unlocked, outright is now the preferred way to buy. That's incorrect. Which is why I said "more" instead of "most".

Unlocked phone shipments in the U.S. grew 140 percent in 2015 | Android Central

It's market that's at 9% in 2015 in the US and trending upwards. That's almost 1 out of 10. I suspect that the installment plan adopters are just the people that used to do two-year contracts.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Not in Canada, the LG5 is $800 and the 10 is $1,000. The Nexus 6P is $700.

I think the pricing is off for this phone specially when htc isn't doing so hot. The LG is cheaper and available in all canadian providers.

Posted via the Android Central App

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I think the fact is that if HTC have made a really good phone that can truly compete with the Samsung, LG etc. flagships then there's no reason why they shouldn't charge the same sort of price as those. The question is HAVE they created a good phone? We will have to see what the in depth reviews say. If they haven't got things right, charging that much for a sub-standard phone that doesn't cut the mustard will be disastrous. I hope they succeed

EDIT: I see that HTC is actually giving out a code to get $100 off the price. That makes it alot more reasonably priced. I think this is a clever marketing strategy by HTC, as - psychologically speaking - people are more inclined to buy a product if they think they're getting a special offer or discount. So by marketing it at one price, but straightaway giving a $100 "discount" HTC will make people feel like they're getting a good deal and they will be more willing to buy it

Last edited:

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I think the fact is that if HTC have made a really good phone that can truly compete with the Samsung, LG etc. flagships then there's no reason why they shouldn't charge the same sort of price as those. The question is HAVE they created a good phone? We will have to see what the in depth reviews say. If they haven't got things right, charging that much for a sub-standard phone that doesn't cut the mustard will be disastrous. I hope they succeed

I agree htc has created a solid phone but I don't think it's on the same level as the s7 edge or even the G5. This phone has no innovation for that price tag. Lg has the modular design whether it's useful or not at least it's something to show for. The s7 edge with its curved screen and water resistance. Htc? Amazing DAC? Boom sound?

I love the product but the price is off.

This product is overpriced specially in Canada .

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

With the $100 off the $599 is a good price point for the specs of this phone.
I believe this is right there with the SGS7e. I have the SGS7e (mainly because there was the BOGO) and to be honest, I love the phone but the edge screen does nothing for me personally.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree htc has created a solid phone but I don't think it's on the same level as the s7 edge or even the G5. This phone has no innovation for that price tag. Lg has the modular design whether it's useful or not at least it's something to show for. The s7 edge with its curved screen and water resistance. Htc? Amazing DAC? Boom sound?

I love the product but the price is off.

This product is overpriced specially in Canada .

Well then use the 100.00 off its now 599.00 unlocked this is better.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Great points!
No, the OP's point is right on the money. At $700, HTC is definitely setting its sights on standard-sized iPhones and Samsung's top of the line. I've no doubt that both HTC and the 10 deserve to play in that league, but that's very risky competition for a company still trying to make up for back to back years of declining sales. It'll certainly help if reviewers line up to claim that the 10 outclasses the 6Ps camera as well as its all-metal body (or any other qualities). If they end up considering the 6P to be the 10's closest competitor, though, that won't be a good thing.
To me it looks like a ballsy strategy to take on Apple and Samsung on that price...doesn't matter if HTC One M10 is the best phone, Apple and Samsung have the hearts and minds of the general public and they use that to sell phones even when they aren't that good. As you said HTC going to have to hope reviews and word of mouth can generate big enough interest that turn into positive sales otherwise M10 might turn out to be the last flagship phone they make. I hope not though!