Slow Eris.... What is slowing it down? Help

erjennin

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
So my eris started out great when I first got it on the day it came out, but now it is laggy and slow. I have the task killer installed and I keep as little apps open as possible. Why is it laggy/slow? Is it the updates that have happened or is it some of the apps I have downloaded?

Apps:
QueueMan (Netflix)
Kayak
Mabil Rintones
Pandora
USA Today
Yellowbook
Barcode Scanner
Movies
Facebook for Android

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If your using pandora and it slows the phone down then that makes sense, but on my phone when I am not using it, its fast. In my opinion, heres a solution: uninstall the task killer, restart your phone and it'll be fine.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I think this and the Hero are plagued most by slowness when open apps due to the Sense UI. Its important that if you aren't using a program that it is closed (not using the task killer). When you are done with an app, back out of it until you reach the home screen instead of hitting the home button.

teggy6

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
is there a shortcut key to close apps? when your using the web borwser its annoying to sit there and keep hitting the back button until you get to the home screen.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
is there a shortcut key to close apps? when your using the web borwser its annoying to sit there and keep hitting the back button until you get to the home screen.

Unfortunately not with the stock browser, Dolphin Browser allows you to close it with a Long Press of the back key. I tried it out, and went back to the stock browser since its cleaner. I just hit back a billion times until it hits the home screen (not letting previous pages render).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

With the (free) replacement Dolphin browser, you can press and hold the back key to bring up a menu that allows you to exit the browser (there are two other options - one clears the cache, one clears the cache and exits, if I remember correctly.) The stock browser does not have an exit menu option.

I just hit home when I am done browsing.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
If you want to kill off an app, without using a task killer or process manager or whatever add on... do the following:

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
hit menu, hit filter, select Running

the displayed apps are running. Kill off anything you think you dont want. Just remember, do not kill off clock if your using an alarm, don't kill of calendar or processes like com.android.googlesearch or things you are just totally unclear on. If it shows Pandora/LastFM, and you don't want it on, kill it, if it shows albums and dont want pictures on kill it. I only recommend killing off 3rd party apps that you have downloaded, you'll see plenty of wierd .com stuffs that are stock processes (even if you kill them they turn back on so dont bother). The stock task/app manager is a very inefficient way to kill apps though as the stock task killer is VERY SLOW to load stuffs. But it works if your curious to see whats running. This is why many people do opt into downloading 3rd party task/process killer/managers. But thats another story for a different post (which have been posted countless times, and will continue to be posted in the future).

Your phone should be restarted once in awhile, but also the more widgets you have running, the more cool stuff you put on your 7 home screens the slower your phone will run because your running more things at once. So keep in mind what you definitely want to have running always, and what you rarely use. If you dont use it daily, dont use a widget. Just use a short cut. That should cut down on some MIPS usage (CPU cycles).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch