Using the web while on a call

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
This has never been an issue for me but all of the AT&T ads got me curious. From what I understand, it's a network issue - not a phone issue. But if/when Verizon, for example, enabled their network to do both, would phones automatically be able to do it? I would assume so.

What is the likelihood of VZ or others configuring their network to enable web and phone use at the same time? What, in layman's terms, is involved? And would it automatically be enabled on phones like the Eris?

The only uses I would have for it would be to use my GPS while on a call. I can't see much other use for me.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand it's a technical limitation with CDMA. The voice and data use the same frequency so both can't be in use at the same time. GSM carriers like AT&T, T-Mob, etc use separate frequencies for the voice and data channels so data can be used while talking on the phone.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I just read an article on CNN.com that addressed this. The full article is at What Verizon iPhone users can expect - CNN.com and addressed the rumor of the iPhone coming to Verizon. Below is the relevant portion (highlighting is mine) with some information I hadn't heard/seen before regarding the dual function:

Is there anything the Verizon iPhone might not be able to do that the AT&T iPhone can do?

Yes. The CDMA version of the iPhone will most likely not allow users to talk on the phone using a headset or a speaker, while surfing the Web at the same time. This is not a phone issue, but a limitation in network technology. GSM allows voice connections and data connections to occur on a device at the same time. CDMA technology does not. However, with Wi-Fi it is possible to surf the Web and talk on a CDMA phone, because the Wi-Fi uses a separate radio technology. This may not be a big deal for everyone, but it's something that Luke Wilson has been pointing out in AT&T's advertisements.

weihl165

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
With a few shortcuts, I have tested it and got it to work. Open up the browser before you make a call, Make your call then hold the home button for your latest programs you opened, then click on the browser. I did it using wifi

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
With a few shortcuts, I have tested it and got it to work. Open up the browser before you make a call, Make your call then hold the home button for your latest programs you opened, then click on the browser. I did it using wifi

If you have WiFi, you do not need to open the browser first. The restriction on internet use with CDMA/EVDO on Verizon and Sprint is only when you are trying to make access internet services over CDMA/EVDO while you are on a phone call. If you have WiFi, your phone will use that for internet data and you are free to call at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87