Automatically going to the mobile network if wi-fi dead?

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, is it possible to make the phone automatically go to using the mobile network when wi-fi is on but not working for whatever reason? Makes no sense to keep disabling the wi-fi just so the 3/4G can be activated to complete a task.

majestros

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this has bothered me as well, if the wifi network is borked for some reason, either network or the phone's issue, I don't get any errors or notifications, it just doesn't sync anymore and doesn't tell you why.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Every so often, either my wi-fi connection goes down, or it'll be up but for whatever reason the phone won't load data on Twitter/FB/whatever. I'll have to turn off the wi-fi band then turn it right back on to get it to work.

Either way, if for whatever reason it doesn't work, it doesnt make much sense that it doesnt go to using the mobile network automatically.

santos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The only time I see the phone auto switch to the mobile network is when it's out of range of the WiFi hotspot. The phones I have had for the past 5 years that include WiFi were the same way. What you're asking for is some sort of connection check handling that I don't think exists.

Maybe there is something wrong with your WiFi radio in your EVO 3d or maybe something is wrong with your wireless router.

Last edited:

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Might be the router but even if I'm not having trouble on the computer, I've noticed a couple instances where it was weird with the phone. Particularly when I first use the phone after a night of sleep.

jheiii

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same thing you are actually.

Start off on 3G, switch to Wifi works great. Then after a few minutes or a few hours, no longer detects WiFi for whatever reason. Other computers/devices connected to the same network are still working fine. I'll go in, turn off Wifi, then turn on 3g/4g and my data works again. Annoying.

Deutch

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I just started to have this problem for the last couple days. My phone will show full wifi signal and connected to my home network but after the phone sits for a couple hours I'll have to toggle the wifi off then on again to get it to work again. All other devices connected to the same work do not have any connection issue.

This might be a good excuse to root my phone and toss a new ROM on it and see if that fixes the issue.

acstewart82

Android Lover
May 22, 2010
Visit site
I leave my wifi on at work but if I don't touch my phone for a while when I come back to my phone to find the wifi off but after a few seconds the wifi comes back on but half the time it works and the other half I have to turn the wifi off and then back on again to get it to work.

kellyrx8

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The problem I have is with MMS messages. I thought the 3g/2g radio would take prescience over wifi but it dosent, it just its there sending....sending....sending....until I turn WiFi off then it send the message....

Drives me nuts!

ernier

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue. I could be home and I'm five feet away from the access point but when I wake the phone from sleep, it is connected to the 3g network instead of the wifi. It takes a solid 5 seconds to connect to the wifi network. Sometimes I even get on the left side of the notification bar a wifi signal with an exclamation point saying it can't connect to the network, but it connects anyway. Besides this problem, the phone has been a little quirky with some other software issues so I'm going to the sprint store to get a replacement, the phone is just a little over than a month old, it shouldn't be having issues.

viddywell

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I too had the same problem. I started using Connection Checker Pro and it's been a godsend.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.jeremychase.ConnectionCheckerPro

It checks for actual internet access via WIFI and if none is available, disables the connection for some period of time, then tries the wifi connection again. This way, you never end up stuck on a "dead" network.

This proved especially frustrating for me as I was using a SIP client for phone at home and missing calls as a result.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The problem I have is with MMS messages. I thought the 3g/2g radio would take prescience over wifi but it dosent, it just its there sending....sending....sending....until I turn WiFi off then it send the message....

Drives me nuts!

this happens to me while using GoSMS Pro. If I take a picture and send it straight from the gallery, it will hang like that. I have to attach it manually in the message to get it to send.

I guess I'll try that connection app.

zdez50

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
MEEH TOO. While on wifi, I will let it idol and do my thing for awhile, I will then try to refresh my HTC News widget and it won't refresh, it will stay stuck on yesterday's update or the last time I refreshed it. I either have to turn off wifi or have to go into application settings and force stop and clear data. I only clear data is when I will be on 3g and it still won't update. I have the same app problem with friend stream or facebook, although I have not had to clear data while on 3g for facebook; only friend stream.

SirRob94

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I too have been having the WiFi problem.

I don't know what the issue is, but known good Wifi spots seem to just stop working. Then I have to shut down WiFi and use 3G connection. HTC needs to address whatever the issue is in the next update.

smgoma

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue. I could be home and I'm five feet away from the access point but when I wake the phone from sleep, it is connected to the 3g network instead of the wifi. It takes a solid 5 seconds to connect to the wifi network. Sometimes I even get on the left side of the notification bar a wifi signal with an exclamation point saying it can't connect to the network, but it connects anyway. Besides this problem, the phone has been a little quirky with some other software issues so I'm going to the sprint store to get a replacement, the phone is just a little over than a month old, it shouldn't be having issues.

I have this same experience.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I leave my wifi on at work but if I don't touch my phone for a while when I come back to my phone to find the wifi off but after a few seconds the wifi comes back on but half the time it works and the other half I have to turn the wifi off and then back on again to get it to work.

I think you need to go wi-fi advanced settings and select "never sleep". It is probably on "sleep when display (back light) turns off". I'm a newbie, but I had to resolve the same issue. Good luck to you.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
@titanoman is on the right track here. The EVO 3D seems to have issues with latency getting the WiFi radio reconnected after it goes to sleep, which (I think) is the problem you guys are seeing.

By default, Android sets the WiFi to sleep whenever the screen turns off, which sounds like a good idea, but doesn't actually get you the extra battery you would think. This is because the phone *wants* an internet connection so, as soon as the WiFi cuts out, the 3G tries to come back on.

This is generally a good setting to change on any phone if you spend most of your day around WiFi access points, since the WiFi radio uses significantly less juice than the 3G radio. Here's how you do it:

1. From the home screen, press the "Menu" softkey and select "Settings" from the popup menu.
  2. Select "Wireless & Networks" from your settings screen.
  3. Turn on WiFi (if it isn't already) and then click "Wi-Fi Settings".
  4. Now, hit the "Menu" softkey again and you'll get a popup menu with an "Advanced" button.
  5. After hitting "Advanced" you'll go to the screen were you can see your current WiFi IP address and connection info. At the top is an option called "Wi-Fi Sleep Policy". Click that.
  6. The options are as follows:
    • After 15 min: WiFi shuts down after you haven't been transmitting or receiving data for 15 minutes.
    • Never when plugged in: WiFi will always stay on if the phone is plugged in, otherwise the 15 minute policy applies.
    • Never: Exactly how it sounds. WiFi will never sleep and will always remain connected.
  7. There's also an option here called "Best Wi-Fi Performance", but the phone warns that it could drain the battery faster. I honestly don't know exactly what that one does.

It's important to note, that this could have a negative impact on your battery depending on your use. I strongly recommend going to the basic WiFi settings screen and disabling the "Network notification" option, since this will cause your phone to constantly scan for an open WiFi when you're not connected. And, since we've just set your WiFi radio to never go to sleep, that could be very bad :)

Also, I would recommend turning off the WiFi radio when you know you're not going to be around WiFi for a while. There's a ton of widgets out there that make this super easy, even if you don't like the ones included with Sense. Personally, I use the Power Control Plus widget, cause I like being able to configure it with exactly with options I want.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.siriusapplications.eclairwidgets

Good luck, guys. I hope this helps.

SirRob94

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
@titanoman is on the right track here. The EVO 3D seems to have issues with latency getting the WiFi radio reconnected after it goes to sleep, which (I think) is the problem you guys are seeing.

By default, Android sets the WiFi to sleep whenever the screen turns off, which sounds like a good idea, but doesn't actually get you the extra battery you would think. This is because the phone *wants* an internet connection so, as soon as the WiFi cuts out, the 3G tries to come back on.

This is generally a good setting to change on any phone if you spend most of your day around WiFi access points, since the WiFi radio uses significantly less juice than the 3G radio. Here's how you do it:

1. From the home screen, press the "Menu" softkey and select "Settings" from the popup menu.
  2. Select "Wireless & Networks" from your settings screen.
  3. Turn on WiFi (if it isn't already) and then click "Wi-Fi Settings".
  4. Now, hit the "Menu" softkey again and you'll get a popup menu with an "Advanced" button.
  5. After hitting "Advanced" you'll go to the screen were you can see your current WiFi IP address and connection info. At the top is an option called "Wi-Fi Sleep Policy". Click that.
  6. The options are as follows:
    • After 15 min: WiFi shuts down after you haven't been transmitting or receiving data for 15 minutes.
    • Never when plugged in: WiFi will always stay on if the phone is plugged in, otherwise the 15 minute policy applies.
    • Never: Exactly how it sounds. WiFi will never sleep and will always remain connected.
  7. There's also an option here called "Best Wi-Fi Performance", but the phone warns that it could drain the battery faster. I honestly don't know exactly what that one does.

It's important to note, that this could have a negative impact on your battery depending on your use. I strongly recommend going to the basic WiFi settings screen and disabling the "Network notification" option, since this will cause your phone to constantly scan for an open WiFi when you're not connected. And, since we've just set your WiFi radio to never go to sleep, that could be very bad :)

Also, I would recommend turning off the WiFi radio when you know you're not going to be around WiFi for a while. There's a ton of widgets out there that make this super easy, even if you don't like the ones included with Sense. Personally, I use the Power Control Plus widget, cause I like being able to configure it with exactly with options I want.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.siriusapplications.eclairwidgets

Good luck, guys. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the writeup TenshiNo, but mine was defaulted to "Never" and I suspect that most might be.
I don't know that it is related to the phone sleeping.

Here is the scenario:
I will be surfing on WiFi fine for a while.
-Suddenly I will attempt to load a page that should work and it won't load. Progress bar sticks 1/4 of the way across.
-So I try to reconnecting to SSID by turning WIFI off/on. Phone says obtaining IP addres and reconnects, but page still wont load, even if I hit refresh.

-I turn off WiFi and leave it off and 3G kicks in then page loads.

Any other suggestions?

Like I wrote before, I think it might be an issue that HTC needs to address since others are having a similar problem.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the writeup TenshiNo, but mine was defaulted to "Never" and I suspect that most might be.
I don't know that it is related to the phone sleeping.

Here is the scenario:
I will be surfing on WiFi fine for a while.
-Suddenly I will attempt to load a page that should work and it won't load. Progress bar sticks 1/4 of the way across.
-So I try to reconnecting to SSID by turning WIFI off/on. Phone says obtaining IP addres and reconnects, but page still wont load, even if I hit refresh.

-I turn off WiFi and leave it off and 3G kicks in then page loads.

Any other suggestions?

Like I wrote before, I think it might be an issue that HTC needs to address since others are having a similar problem.

My suggestion here would be to grab WiFi analyzer from the Android market. It's free and it can help you determine if maybe there's a lot of interference on your WiFi channel for your area. I've run into this problem before. Someone said that other computers on the network continue to work fine, but they might have more powerful radios/larger antennas that help them deal with the issue.

Grab it here:

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Fire it up, hit the "Menu" softkey, then select "Set My AP" and select which wireless network you use. Then hit "Menu" again and select the "View" option. That will give you a menu with 5 or so items. Select "Channel Rating" and it will give you a list of all 14 WiFi channels with a rating of how "clear" they are.

I've run into problems similar to this in the past and it ended up that I was using a channel with only a 1 star rating. Changed the channel on the router and the performance went way up. This can be very common in an apartment or neighborhood where there are lots of wireless networks around you.

Good Luck! Let us know what you find :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty