3d to tv question

techh10

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Since there is 3 ways to view content from the evo to your tv,

HDMI
MHL
DLNA

Which, if any will show 3d content? I have a panasonic VT30 and it supports hdmi and dlna and that would be really cool to take 3d video and push it to my tv.

toad6386

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
While no expert, it is my understanding that the output of the 3D will "look" for a 3D component on your TV and if it is found, it will output in 3D, otherwise in 2D.

FWIW - love the list.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
MHL 2.0+ and HDMI 1.4+ will support 3D. While I'm not sure if DLNA does or not, I would guess that in its current form it does not.

My question is that since the EVO 3D only has MHL 1.0 (MHL 2.0 has not been formally approved yet) will it work for 3D? And if not Lets just hope the 2.0 update only needs a firmware update and not any new hardware.

As an aside, for this phone there is no HDMI port. The "MHL" port on the phone is just a micro-USB interface with an internal switching system that can connect either subsystem (USB or MHL) to the pins. When using it for video out you use your special cable and connect it to a standard HDMI port on a TV which may or may not be MHL ready. The only benefits of it being MHL ready are you get phone charging (without need for special adapter) and you get the ability for two way communication through the phone and tv i.e. remote control to tv can pause, play, etc.

sprinttouch

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
MHL 2.0+ and HDMI 1.4+ will support 3D. While I'm not sure if DLNA does or not, I would guess that in its current form it does not.

My question is that since the EVO 3D only has MHL 1.0 (MHL 2.0 has not been formally approved yet) will it work for 3D? And if not Lets just hope the 2.0 update only needs a firmware update and not any new hardware.

As an aside, for this phone there is no HDMI port. The "MHL" port on the phone is just a micro-USB interface with an internal switching system that can connect either subsystem (USB or MHL) to the pins. When using it for video out you use your special cable and connect it to a standard HDMI port on a TV which may or may not be MHL ready. The only benefits of it being MHL ready are you get phone charging (without need for special adapter) and you get the ability for two way communication through the phone and tv i.e. remote control to tv can pause, play, etc.

Yes, 3D will work over hdmi, there are videos on youtube that show this. And its my understanding that the MHL port (with an adapter that will almost certainly be in the evo 3d box) will work just as if you had plugged the hdmi port directly into the phone. no special tv needed (unless you want 3d). So really there are only two ways: dlna and mhl/hdmi.

Last edited:

yourfriendmat

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That guide is fine and Handbrake works fine. The phone doesn't need to be out since it's not the hardware that is important but the codecs and OS that plays them - which won't be any different than any other android phone.

yourfriendmat

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
That guide is fine and Handbrake works fine. The phone doesn't need to be out since it's not the hardware that is important but the codecs and OS that plays them - which won't be any different than any other android phone.

Right, but I was wondering what format to use for 3D movies. I guess if nothing else, I can try .mp4 and then see what happens :p

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ahh.. well, I was thinking that in my head the other day. Maybe mp4 is fine and every frame alternates left and right, who knows. Guess we'll find out :)

But looking at the guide again, I think the guide isn't directed at 3D specifically, just compatible video in general. 3D video may very well indeed need a different setting. But since the fps is "Same as source" if the source is something like 120fps where 60 is left, 60 is right, the EVO may handle it just fine, or it may need a 3D trigger.

Edit:

Check this out, it makes it sound a little more complicated, but it's for the LG Optimus 3D so I'm sure it'll be a very similar process

http://www.hoofjaw.com/forums/Topic7241-30-1.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: yourfriendmat