Is it really worth it to switch from my Palm Pre?

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
You can't plug the powermat into a USB wall charger like the Pre's and just set the EVO 3D on top of it like we do with the Touchstone?

No. (HP)alm owns the patents to that technology, and it's hardwired into the device right from conception.

PowerMats are a 3rd rendition of a Touchstone.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Not at all. The evo was actually a little bit thinner so fit better in my pocket. As far as screen size,, with in a few mins I realize I could never go any smaller then evo ever again.

EVO - LUTION 3D

I completely agree with this statement.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep. HTC Sense 3.0 will request to link your contacts, which will group them together. As "Facebook for HTC" updates, so do their profile pics, and the top of the screen shows their last Facebook status.

Do the contacts on the phone actually get "updated" and merged with the data from FaceBook, LinkedIn, etc. or are the profiles kept separately like on the Pre? For example, if the EVO 3D syncs with FB, and you decide to export all of your phones contacts, would the exported file contain all of the contact info from FB (phone numbers, email addresses, etc.)?

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Not at all. The evo was actually a little bit thinner so fit better in my pocket. As far as screen size,, with in a few mins I realize I could never go any smaller then evo ever again.

EVO - LUTION 3D

That's helpful, thanks! Do you miss the Pre's physical keyboard?

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site

NO! You will not, once you get used to software keyboards, it's hard to use hardware keyboards!

Once upon a time, I too, had a Palm Pre and I was all about hardware keyboards. Then the Evo 4G came out and I will never go back.

You wont miss it because 1) You can learn to be very fast on the software keyboards and 2) It takes a lot of bulk out of the device.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Do the contacts on the phone actually get "updated" and merged with the data from FaceBook, LinkedIn, etc. or are the profiles kept separately like on the Pre? For example, if the EVO 3D syncs with FB, and you decide to export all of your phones contacts, would the exported file contain all of the contact info from FB (phone numbers, email addresses, etc.)?

The data is stored in your email account, but it's just data telling the Sense device how and what to link it with, but not an actual merge of information.

If you export using HTC Sync software, it may export all contact info, but I'm not a user of that software. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
NO! You will not, once you get used to software keyboards, it's hard to use hardware keyboards!

Once upon a time, I too, had a Palm Pre and I was all about hardware keyboards. Then the Evo 4G came out and I will never go back.

You wont miss it because 1) You can learn to be very fast on the software keyboards and 2) It takes a lot of bulk out of the device.

I do disagree here, I still miss being able to type without looking, and sometimes I get frustrated attempting to type on my keyboard, but it's a very minor flaw, especially compared to the positives of the exchange.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
And with the 3D, for the first time I don't have to have the volume all the way up to hear people....it's almost too loud then.

Much different than my Pre.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I swore I would always need a keyboard, but there is dozens of keyboards to chose from, you must choose the one right for you. I settled on SwiftKey. After a few weeks it knows what your gonna say with just a press of a key,, pretty freakie sometimes but it learns you, is what i am trying to say. I now would never want a keyboard again

EVO - LUTION 3D

BMWodarski

Jun 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
This is copy and pasted from my Precentral post about why I'm leaving webOS for Android/Evo 3D.
/*Begin quote
Personally, I've given up with HP/Palm. I've had a Pre- since launch day. I've even at points been a huge preacher for webOS in general. Talking a few people I know in to buying one. I love the community, I like the beautifully intuitive nature of webOS. But I was lied to about flash hitting my phone. I'm currently on my 4th pre. Mainly for broken power buttons. My current phone I have to wiggle it in the Oreo fashion to get the speaker to work, even when I'm using a Bluetooth headset. All of them have had cracks originating from the power socket. I've been playing with webOS 2.1 on my phone for about a week and while the features it provides are great it does tend to slow the phone down considerably. The recent locking out of 3rd parties from posting the app catalog is kind of the icing on the cake as to why I'm leaving webOS behind me. It was the community that was my favorite part of my phone. Back in the day the homebrew community showed Palm a thing or two about what this device could actually do.

All that being said I have decided to jump ship and go to Android. I'm not too thrilled about the decision but I believe it is one that I need to get enjoyment out of my phone. The features of webOS are great but if little to no one develops for it then what is the point? This could change in the future but I don't see it happening. I may in fact be wrong on this point and feel free to correct me but has H/Palm released camera or microphone API's yet? I know it had been talked about years ago but has it come to fruition yet? The relationship has soured in to unfulfilled promises in my humble opinion and I hope that maybe in the future webOS gets its stuff together goes to rehab and comes back a better mobile OS. But I'm not going to sit around and wait for that day. I as a consumer shouldn't be treated like that.

Reading the last few sentences aloud makes it sound like webOS is my ex-girlfriend. It's true though I love her but our relationship can not continue in it's current state. Anyway it's been great to be apart of this community and I hope one day I can come back and start fresh with webOS.

Cheers.

End Quote*/

The reason why i'm picking the Evo 3D are as follows.

1. I'm on Sprint and do not want to leave.
2. The phone looks gorgeous. I've played with an open one at Radio Shack and it feels amazing in the hand.
3. I can get an otterbox for this phone on day 1.
4. Dual Core 1.2ghz processor vs my pre which has a 500mhz single processor is OC to 1ghz. Substantial improvement.
5. Takes my ram from 256mb to 1gb of on board ram. Allowing me to do more things at once. My pre can do maybe 2 or 3 apps at most before bogging down.
6. The 3D stuff does entice me. I do own a Panasonic TC-P50GT25 3D Plasma TV and it'd be great to throw those videos and pictures on that TV to view with friends.
7. Higher resolution screen. Looks crisper and it has Gorilla Glass. My current pre screen is scratched to hell.
8. I work at a job with a lot of down time and the building I'm in does get 4G support from Sprint. So streaming netflix or tethering to my laptop, tablet, or psp (soon to be vita) will be nice and hella quicker than using freeTether on my pre.

Last edited:
Reactions: alwaysonline#AC

Jc3

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I played with the original EVO in the Sprint store and it looked pretty cool yet GINORMOUS. I don't know how it would feel to walk around with a mini netbook on my belt. The PRE really does fit in your palm and I like the form factor. I'm just getting tired of the issues plus Palm gets totally neglected in the app department.

What makes Sense so hot?

well i'm not sure how it would feel on a belt... i keep my front right pocket reserved for my phone and my phone alone. the big size is a plus for a smart phone if you ask me, it's just way easier to use a touch screen when you have more realestate. tho i would never want a screen bigger i think.

sense is just a really well thought out ui, i didn't' fully appreciate it until i had tried android on my wifes LG smart phone. i even switched back to froyo with sense after awhile with cm7, which is basically stock android with some tweaks. i guess i would say it just makes using the phone a better experience... it's hard to pin point why exactly.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
This is copy and pasted from my Precentral post about why I'm leaving webOS for Android/Evo 3D.
/*Begin quote
Personally, I've given up with HP/Palm. I've had a Pre- since launch day. I've even at points been a huge preacher for webOS in general. Talking a few people I know in to buying one. I love the community, I like the beautifully intuitive nature of webOS. But I was lied to about flash hitting my phone. I'm currently on my 4th pre. Mainly for broken power buttons. My current phone I have to wiggle it in the Oreo fashion to get the speaker to work, even when I'm using a Bluetooth headset. All of them have had cracks originating from the power socket. I've been playing with webOS 2.1 on my phone for about a week and while the features it provides are great it does tend to slow the phone down considerably. The recent locking out of 3rd parties from posting the app catalog is kind of the icing on the cake as to why I'm leaving webOS behind me. It was the community that was my favorite part of my phone. Back in the day the homebrew community showed Palm a thing or two about what this device could actually do.

All that being said I have decided to jump ship and go to Android. I'm not too thrilled about the decision but I believe it is one that I need to get enjoyment out of my phone. The features of webOS are great but if little to no one develops for it then what is the point? This could change in the future but I don't see it happening. I may in fact be wrong on this point and feel free to correct me but has H/Palm released camera or microphone API's yet? I know it had been talked about years ago but has it come to fruition yet? The relationship has soured in to unfulfilled promises in my humble opinion and I hope that maybe in the future webOS gets its stuff together goes to rehab and comes back a better mobile OS. But I'm not going to sit around and wait for that day. I as a consumer shouldn't be treated like that.

Reading the last few sentences aloud makes it sound like webOS is my ex-girlfriend. It's true though I love her but our relationship can not continue in it's current state. Anyway it's been great to be apart of this community and I hope one day I can come back and start fresh with webOS.

Cheers.

End Quote*/

The reason why i'm picking the Evo 3D are as follows.

1. I'm on Sprint and do not want to leave.
2. The phone looks gorgeous. I've played with an open one at Radio Shack and it feels amazing in the hand.
3. I can get an otterbox for this phone on day 1.
4. Dual Core 1.2ghz processor vs my pre which has a 500mhz single processor is OC to 1ghz. Substantial improvement.
5. Takes my ram from 256mb to 1gb of on board ram. Allowing me to do more things at once. My pre can do maybe 2 or 3 apps at most before bogging down.
6. The 3D stuff does entice me. I do own a Panasonic TC-P50GT25 3D Plasma TV and it'd be great to throw those videos and pictures on that TV to view with friends.
7. Higher resolution screen. Looks crisper and it has Gorilla Glass. My current pre screen is scratched to hell.
8. I work at a job with a lot of down time and the building I'm in does get 4G support from Sprint. So streaming netflix or tethering to my laptop, tablet, or psp (soon to be vita) will be nice and hella quicker than using freeTether on my pre.

Very helpful, thank you!

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I was first in line at my Sprint store for the Pre, I was excited that Palm was trying to compete again and I started the line just before the store closed the day before release. Had it for a year, but without corporate support and upgraded hardware and more useful applications I switched to the Evo 4G when it was released and now at this point I couldn't imagine going back to the Palm which is thicker, and has a smaller screen. Sure the Palm feels good in your hand and was a major upgrade from my Nokia N95, but the Evo is faster, more viewable and fits in the pocket nicer.

At this point having had bad experiences with HP's product quality, I would personally call Palm over, which is unfortunate, I enjoyed my Palm V, Tungsten, and Pre.