Unlocked bootloader, S-Off, AOSP explanation

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
For starters, I'm a slightly experienced root user. I rooted my original EVO, and I flashed to my hearts content with no problems. I used the Unrevoked method and only unrooted when it was time to upgrade the this phone. I've looked here and XDA for help and explanations on this topic, but I haven't found any that really suffice. I don't understand the premise behind an unlocked bootloader and S-Off. I know what S-Off is and what it does, but the unlocked bootloader is what has me stuck. I don't understand how that works if I can't flash a kernel with just an unlocked bootloader, how can I flash an AOSP rom? And there have been no real instructions that I have seen on how to do this with Hboot 1.19. I also can't use Dirty Racun due to having a x64 computer. Can someone please help, or at least point me in the right direction? I've also never used TWRP. I only used CWM and the other recovery for EVO 4G (can't remember the name right now). Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You need a unlocked bootloader so you can write to the partitions like the recovery partition so you can install a custom recovery to be able to flash roms...ect.
S-on will let you flash roms, mods and such but will not let you write to the boot partition which is needed to flash custom kernels...ie boot.img
S-off removes the flag so you can write to the boot partition and no need to use a third party app or fastboot to flash the bootimg
If you flash 2 different roms that both have a stock boot.img more than likely you will not have a problem. As soon as there is a change in the kernel or boot.img you will need to flash it for it to boot
To flash the boot.img with fastboot you will need to copy the boot.img to the platform-tools folder or the folder which contains fastboot abd adb. Boot the phone into the bootloader, put in fastboot mode ( fastboot usb )
open your cmd prompt from the fastboot folder and type "fastboot flash boot boot.img"
i know this explanation is a little crude but i hope it helps

Last edited:

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I understand the concept, and I had read about flashing from fast boot for kernels. So to flash CM10 from unlocked bootloader only (that's the main ROM I want). Would I need to use the fast boot method to flash it since it is AOSP?

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been running CM10 for a couple of weeks now, after spending 2 days trying to prep my EVO for it. After trying to run CM10 with root and S-ON, the startup animation would just spin endlessly. Initially, I couldn't find much information on what I was missing, so I finally decided to try getting S-OFF. After a couple of failed attempts, I got it to work, then CM10 booted up like a charm.

DirtyRacun was the method I used, and it didn't work the first time I tried it. But it took me a while to figure out that this step was necessary for CM10 to boot.

Edit: Realized I used DirtyRacun for S-Off, not Unrevoked.

Last edited:

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, I can't get S-Off, unless there is another method other than Dirty Racun for Hboot 1.19. I've looked at XDA and seen that Regaw mod might work, but I'm not sure. If I had a sure fire way of rooting (S-Off) , it would have been done by now. Any help?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, I can't get S-Off, unless there is another method other than Dirty Racun for Hboot 1.19. I've looked at XDA and seen that Regaw mod might work, but I'm not sure. If I had a sure fire way of rooting (S-Off) , it would have been done by now. Any help?

Have you looked here [HBOOT][11/14/12] JET - The Jewel/Evita Toolkit (Linux) - xda-developers This is how i did it and it keeps everything in place. once you downgrade your hboot you are able to use lazy panda
I havnt heard of using Unrevoked on the LTE

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Linux, my computer, and my wifi network do not get along. It is a horrible three-way relationship. I tried Ubuntu last year, and it own't connect to my wifi network, so anything Linux, I stay away from. I'll probably wait a few more months for some surefire methods on rooting using windows, and then unrooting as unrevoked had for the original Evo. It is sounding like we might be getting official Jelly Bean quite soon though. Thank you for your input

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Linux, my computer, and my wifi network do not get along. It is a horrible three-way relationship. I tried Ubuntu last year, and it own't connect to my wifi network, so anything Linux, I stay away from. I'll probably wait a few more months for some surefire methods on rooting using windows, and then unrooting as unrevoked had for the original Evo. It is sounding like we might be getting official Jelly Bean quite soon though. Thank you for your input

All you need is a live cd or wubi which can be downloaded with windows and then boot with the live cd and then run the program. no need to install ubuntu

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Something I just thought of about obtaining S-OFF: are you using 64-bit or 32-bit Windows? DirtyRacun won't work with 64-bit. I happened to have Windows 7 32-bit on my laptop, and that's what I used to get it to run. As I mentioned before, I had to run DirtyRacun a couple of times before it worked all the way through.

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have 64-bit Windows. I looked at Dirty Racun and Evita Toolkit thing after installing wubi tonight to get Ubuntu 12.10, and they only work with 32-bit Linux. So there is no way I can root my phone right now with my laptop. I guess I will just wait until another S-Off method pops up that I can use.

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep, a LiveCD (or USB stick, whichever strikes your fancy) is a pretty simple option. If you go to Ubuntu's website, one of their download options is to make a LiveCD. Just boot to the CD, install DirtyRacun, let it perform its magic, and off you go. When you're finished, all you do is take the disc out and reboot your computer. No permanent changes to your computer and you have S-OFF!

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
You have to go back to factory stock (unroot, et all) before you can run the process. As such, you'll need to wipe your phone in preparation for running DirtyRacun. The instructions can be found here: Unlimited.IO.

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, thank you very much for the clarification.

I had my OG Evo rooted and am now debating rooting this since CM10 is out.

Is CM10 relatively stable with all things working (LTE, camera, etc)?

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it exclusively for a couple of weeks now, and it runs great for me. It is very smooth, and I haven't really encountered any multitasking issues.

I don't have access to LTE, so I can't make any claims about that.

You don't get the HTC camera app, however it seems to work just fine with other camera apps. I bought Camera Zoom FX a while back when it was on sale for 10 cents, and it works fine for me (especially since the recent huge update it received.)

The only oddity I've really encountered has been getting text notifications from Handcent SMS. Every once in a while I don't get a notification, but it doesn't happen enough to worry me. And I check the app often enough, anyway, that it isn't like I would go for a day or two with no idea someone texted me.

One thing to make a note of is that CM10 does not include the basic Google apps. You'll need to download them seperately, boot to recovery, and flash them on (just like you would flashing a ROM, except that you're only flashing some apps.) You can download it from here: Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have one last question for you all: is there a way to get S-Off with a 64bit system? That's all my laptop will run and all the S-Off method I have seen only run on 32bit systems

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have one last question for you all: is there a way to get S-Off with a 64bit system? That's all my laptop will run and all the S-Off method I have seen only run on 32bit systems

Yes in post 12 you can make a bootable 32 bit live cd or flash drive and boot into that, run the program to go s-off and when you reboot your pc take the disk out or flash drive and it will boot into windows. you dont need to install anything on your pc

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...oader-s-off-aosp-explanation.html#post2376500

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
One last question...again. I just did the HTC EVO hacks to unlock bootloader. So I am S-ON with unlocked bootloader. Am I able to nandroid even with S-ON?