I've got the EVO - ask me anything!

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
If you were able to read the whole thread as it unfolded you would see what he is talking about. Phil has been editing the thread so a lot of posts are missing but basically a lot of people were being borderline rude (posting in all caps, reposting their questions if they weren't answered in 15 minutes, etc.).

Thanks bro. Some people tail end on conversations and get confused. As you mentioned I was just trying to give Phil some support. The man needs time to fully review the phone.

Reactions: Bjamar24

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard or used a One X, and I doubt many of us have. What's it like compared to the original Evo?

Dunno never seen a one x either. As for the evo shift well its a great phone but the speaker is very weak.

I have used both. The OG Evo is iconic, but honestly it's not even a close comparison. Which is to be expected given the age of the OG Evo. The One X is amazing, and Sprint's version has a bigger battery and SD card (which is a desired feature, but still something Android is getting away from), which are two features people wanted in the One X.

I think if you like the OG Evo, then you'll love Sprint's version of the One X. And everything they say about the screen is true. It's stunning.

Reactions: jharre08

tommydaniel

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I stand corrected, I've seen it called an MHL port on various sites. Anyway, the USB connector on my View is different than my EVO 4G. I can use the standard micro USB connector in my View but cannot use the cable and adapter that came with my View in my EVO.

I did just see some videos on youtube with people using an MHL adapter with the One X so maybe it's not an issue.

The EVO 4G didn't have MHL, that's why. It had a micro USB and HDMI.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The EVO 4G didn't have an MHL, that's why. It had a micro USB and HDMI.

Yes I know that. Just describing the difference between the two. It looks like the View connector is unique to the tablets. May have to do with the higher power USB ac adapter. This port looks different than the one on the EVOLTE.

Last edited:

tommydaniel

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know that. Just describing the difference between the two. It looks like the View connector is unique to the tablets. May have to do with the higher power USB ac adapter. This port looks different than the one on the EVOLTE.

It may not have worked on the Evo because it didn't have MHL, but I don't think that should stop it from charging it or anything. Who knows. As far as I know, micro USB is micro USB. There may be slight differences, but should still work. :/

Last edited:

rockdrummersrock

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Just watched the Not unboxing and PHIL. 2?! Are you effing kidding me?! Double test the battery! let another lucky boy or girl on staff review one and get two takes on this stellar phone! and this is all about questions hmm....

Have you had a chance to play with the HTC Car? I use the phone on roadtrips or just when going somewhere new, what enhancements have they made to make life simpler? Android Car Dock or whatever is good but HTC car looks to take it to the next level.

I'm most intrigued about its performance. Also have you had a chance to test out beats and if so how is it? It's a point of excitement for me and I really want to know if it is really droolworthy.

Lastly thank you thank you thank you Phil for doing this. I waited for the OG Evo with huge hopes and no real source of news or discussion now that I've found AC I'm loving all this anticipation and interaction regarding this fantastic device. Trust me when I say that all of us Evo fanatics cannot thank you enough for doing this and all that you do.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
What???? It doesn't support usb mass storage? This is really going to piss me off if it is true!
Probably doesn't. The internal partition on the GSII is MTP, not mass storage. I agree, I'd prefer MS due to issues with drag-and-drop, but there are benefits to both. Just use the external sd - it'll be MS.

Yep it's like the port on the T-Mo HTC Amaze. Forget what they call it, but it's proprietary.

Rodderik

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I thought of another simple question...what is the amperage on the charger? I'm curious if it will correctly charge on usb almost as fast as wall charger or if it needs something crazy like 2A.

dmcgrath009

May 11, 2012
Visit site
well i made an account on AC so that i could say thank you ! my only real question was about the speaker no one seams to talk about speakerphone in phone reviews! looks like ill be headed to AT&T to check out the one X speaker to see how it is !

Thanks again

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought of another simple question...what is the amperage on the charger? I'm curious if it will correctly charge on usb almost as fast as wall charger or if it needs something crazy like 2A.

The One X on AT&T is a 1A charger. Educated guess says it's the same for this.

well i made an account on AC so that i could say thank you ! my only real question was about the speaker no one seams to talk about speakerphone in phone reviews! looks like ill be headed to AT&T to check out the one X speaker to see how it is !

Thanks again

Unless Sprint had them change it the speaker is only ok. It's not the greatest, and it's not the worst.

Reactions: Rodderik

dalex7777

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I also love the default Navigation app on the Evo 4G (the blue arrow one) and missed it when I went to the Evo 3D. I have a feeling it won't be there on the LTE and I'll have to figure out a good replacement.

The app you're referring to is called Telenav (formerely Sprint Navigation) the EVO 4G LTE manual refers to it being there and is also available on the 3D. If you don't see it on your 3D, look for it in the web version of the Google Play store.

Are you filtering your installed apps? It sounds like you may have hidden the app icon somehow.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Does the Evo come with a SD card? The original came with an 8 gigabyte, and I need to upgrade to a 16 gigabyte in order to hold all of my music. But I want to wait to see if the new Evo comes with a 16 gigabyte card. So, does it come with an SD card or not? If so, what size?

You can get a 16 GB card for about $12 (Newegg) or 32 GB for $25 - are you really going to let the size of the included SD card determine whether you buy this phone.

SoCalMario

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Awww ok, See I didn't even know because since I was rooted, and have the hacked version. Never found out they had fixed it. Awesome! Ok I stand very corrected. :)

steve41015

May 7, 2010
Visit site
on my og Evo I hold the search button and get to the voice search aka SIRI before SIRI. Is there something comparable in these phones without the dedicated search button.

BTW I will never understand the thought pattern that came up with the idea to remove the search button on a phone whose software was created by Google.