I've got the EVO - ask me anything!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
besdies kickstand/physical camera buttons, is the screen/layout the same to where ONE X screen protectors would also fit? its the exact same screen and dimensions, so i would assume the light sensor or anything else on the screen would be a match, right?

TIA

also, MHL is standard and non oem MHL converters should work with this right?

Screen protectors are custom cut for each device. I wouldn't try to mix and match.

Mhl is mhl

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Now that you've fondled both the SGSIII and the new EVO, since the specs are comparable, which one do you prefer? I'm up for a new phone, coming from the original epic and I'm not sure which one to get...

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
What kind of 3G speeds are you pulling down? (Hopefully LTE will be available soon in my area)

grandebob

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Serious question this time:
Is there an SD slot? I thought I remember you saying there was at the launch event, but didn't see it in the leaked manual.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Now that you've fondled both the SGSIII and the new EVO, since the specs are comparable, which one do you prefer? I'm up for a new phone, coming from the original epic and I'm not sure which one to get...

Same situation. I like the look of the GS3 more hardware-wise, but for some reason, I'm being drawn towards sense...even though I've never been a fan of it in the past. I really want to want the evo.

How are 3G speeds? Signal strength? Any better or worst than expected?

scratchfwb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Can you drive it over here to the Destin Harbor so I can talk about it on my morning show? Then can you leave it here when you leave?

Punkrocker924

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm deathly curious about the little details the specs don't cover, mostly surrounding the Haptic Feedback and Notification Light. On devices like the Rezound the haptic strength made it hard to use Swype and I wonder if that's comparable here. And I've just heard nothing about any notification LED action, let alone something Light Flow configurable etc.

In summary for skimming Phil / rest-of-everyone:
-Haptic feedback strength / usability
-Notification Light strength / usability

Thanks for your time, great job with the everything :)

KerkedAgain

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I know he said 'ask me anything' but jeeps.. Ha

Real question : I read the entire manual and while it's said the physical button is 2-step, there's no mention of it in the manual. Is it? Also, how does said button work on, say, a powered off display and/or a locked screen?

moellered

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
will it accept 64GB microsd cards? also, can you post pictures taken while shooting a video? i'm curious of the clarity of the picture.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
ooooh, can't wait for Phil's full review :)

I mean, we already know it is mostly identical to the One X, just lots better. I would love to know specifically the things that might be DIFFERENT from the One X:

1) What Sprint *might* have done to try and ruin it (like the stupid "Sprint Zone" or other apps that can't be removed or disabled). CAN YOU DISABLE SPRINT ZONE???

2) Speakerphone/speaker quality. (The Evo 3D's speaker is horrible)

3) If you use lock screen security, do you still have to go through TWO LOCK SCREENS every time, like you do on the OG Evo and the Evo 3D?

4) How does the WiFi range/strength compare to your other devices?

5) Can it be rooted with the recently released One X root method? (Not sure if you are willing to try that quite yet :) )

Thanks

Last edited:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Didn't recognize your hands without all the pink goop on them.

My only hesitation is the embedded battery. Since I'll have to keep this thing for 2 years before my next upgrade, I'm wondering if the battery will hold up that long without pooping out. And, if it does poop out, what will it cost to have it replaced at a repair center, even if they can replace it. If that were to happen, am I protected by the Total Equipment Protection plan? It's not certain if my other choices will even be available on Sprint; the Note and the SG III. The EVO is a great device, but.... Ahhhh...decisions, decisions, decisions. :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress