Proximity Sensor bad?

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yea, my proximity sensor was bad. It was a hardware issue. I took it to the sprint repair shop and the technician concluded it was a hardware issue. Did a factory reset and everything. They sent me a new phone and everything works perfectly. My camera on the old one was ok but the new camera is wayyyyyy better. I can't believe the same phone could have such a better camera just cause the one I got was defective (not just the proximity sensor it seems like). The screen is also whiter and is not as yellowy. I'm happy now :D But yea, when I would move the phone away from my ear during a call, the phone would remain black.

What hardware version do you have? Go to Settings>About Phone... It's at the top.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

xcrico

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
If your current one is 0003, that must mean its just luck of the batch of phones it was made with since my new one is 0003 and you are getting a replacement for it tomorrow.

mrmediaguy#AC

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with mine from the very beginning, which I bought on the in-store launch day. Kept thinking it was a software problem and there would be a fix soon -- but gradually I realized that *everyone* couldn't be having this problem or the boards would be burning up with complaints. So I started to investigate -- as noted, probably half of those having problems with the prox sensor traced it back to a screen protector.

Since I wasn't using a screen protector I had to dig further and eventually stumbled on a thread where someone mentioned that their glass wasn't sitting flush along the top edge of the phone, but was protruding above the top band where the earpiece is. My phone had the same problem, so I decided to *carefully* press it down a bit. Apparently it's secured with a strip of two-way foam tape under the glass (like the iPad screen) and the tape is a tiny bit compressible, so after applying pressure across the top edge of the glass for 30 seconds or so, the glass was flush or even a bit recessed. I tried a call -- and surprise, the proximity sensor worked exactly as it should.

Unfortunately this only lasts for a minute at most, because the screen soon returns to its original position. In the Sprint store, I think they thought I was hitting the crack pipe until I did the same thing right in front of them and showed them how I could make it work for a minute or two. They ran their "tests" and in about 20 minutes ordered me a new phone. It helped that all the demo phones in the store (which all worked) had glass that was flush with or lower than the top frame.

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Got my replacement today, fixed my issues with the proximity sensor as well. Mine was also definitely a hardware issue which I could reproduce for the Sprint techs. New one works great. Same version, 003.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Got my replacement today, fixed my issues with the proximity sensor as well. Mine was also definitely a hardware issue which I could reproduce for the Sprint techs. New one works great. Same version, 003.

Great, glad to hear you have a new replacement.;)

from Evo4G LTE on Tapatalk 2

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site

I might as well piggyback off Crimson. I picked up my new EVO LTE today after work. It was brand new, still sealed in the box, plastic on everything, not activated, plastic on screen, ECT. Just.getting it fully setup now. Once activated in the store, I hung around for 45 mins while I set it up. The first thing I tested out was the prior issue with the prox/light sensor. So far so good. I made several calls just.to test it out. I have not been able to duplicate the issue. Every test that my returned EVO LTE failed, this new one has passed. Just like Crimson, I have the same HW version 003.

Only 2 things I notice about the new one. The lights at the bottom that illuminate the 3 buttons are slightly off. Not a big deal. Also, my screen seems to be making a cracking sound as I type. We'll see how that goes.... I hope the latter isn't a bad sign.

Last edited:

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I might as well piggyback off Crimson. I picked up my new EVO LTE today after work. It was brand new, still sealed in the box, plastic on everything, not activated, plastic on screen, ECT. Just.getting it fully setup now. Once activated in the store, I hung around for 45 mins while I set it up. The first thing I tested out was the prior issue with the prox/light sensor. So far so good. I made several calls just.to test it out. I have not been able to duplicate the issue. Every test that my returned EVO LTE failed, this new one has passed. Just like Crimson, I have the same HW version 003.

+1 same hardware version. Except for your new issues.

They couldn't get my data activated, so I had to go back to the store four hours later. The rep finally accessed the in-store WiFi and it activated. Just a tip to anyone having the same problem.

I forgot how long it takes to get everything set up. It's also worth it to get everything fixed.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
After receiving the new update, this problem has been resolved.

Really? I didn't see anything about the prox/light sensor listed in the update. Anyone else notice the problem was fixed w/the software update today? Either way, glad its fixed for you.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Really? I didn't see anything about the prox/light sensor listed in the update. Anyone else notice the problem was fixed w/the software update today? Either way, glad its fixed for you.

people on XDA are also reporting it is fixed after the update. I never had the issue so cannot confirm.

Jjeune

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I tested this on a few phone calls earlier and can confirm the proximity sensor is behaving properly since the update this morning for me. Was a real pain to deal with before that.

And that's with the HD screen protector on from Zagg installed by Best Buy on day one. Issue must have been software all along as a few were suggesting before.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

cpitt76

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I was having this problem as well, but it seems to have been fixed. I was getting ready to head back to best buy this morning, and tried it one last time. The screen now acts as it should, turning off when I cover the sensor and coming back on when I uncover it. It's even working in low light conditions. I'm thinking the update may have addressed a potential software issue. Has anyone else noticed this problem going away after the update?