Former Palm Pre people...

duanedude1

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Miss some aspects of WebOS. Cards were great. Loving my sammy galaxy s3 however. Wish I had best of both worlds. Hoping Open WebOS does well. I wish Sammy or the Googs had bought or licensed Palm patents. Not feeling the love for Apple right now.

Reactions: scratchfwb

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Miss some aspects of WebOS. Cards were great. Loving my sammy galaxy s3 however. Wish I had best of both worlds. Hoping Open WebOS does well. I wish Sammy or the Googs had bought or licensed Palm patents. Not feeling the love for Apple right now.

You know we have cards right? Just hit the button for last apps open and bam, a screen full of open cards pops up. You can even swype them away.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the palm pre before the og EVO and I liked it a lot but they didn't update it as often as they made I think they would and they sold it as a 4g phone which wad the reason I bought it only to find put there's no 4g. Then when hp started to crumble it was def just over. I loved the phone tho. It was something different than any other phone bit I can def say that I like the og EVO or LTE over it. I can't say the same about the s2 I owned. That was a total pos

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Fisack23

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Launch day Pre-, Touchpad, Frankenpre, Pre 3 -

I like my S3. I like the availability of apps. I like the power and flexibility.

I miss the elegance of the Pre and WebOS. I'm not sure if "elegance" is the appropriate word, but things were just much simpler to do. It takes me too many steps/gestures to do things now. Before, to close a program, it was simple: minimize, swipe. Now, it's minimize, hold down the button for 2 seconds, flick aside, and wonder if it actually closed or is still hogging up space!

It's not as simple has hitting the "last apps open" - it's holding it down for 2 seconds. That's an eternity when you're used to WebOS. And to find/open programs? On WebOS, it was open phone, type first few letters of app/contact, tap program and go. Now (unless you're rooted with the permanent Universal Search) it's go to Contacts, tap on typing area, type, tap on contact, tap on call/message/whatever, and then go.

I would go back to WebOS in a heartbeat if there were more apps. That was my primary reason for leaving - that and the fact that my phone was getting old. My dream scenario would be a phone like the S3 running WebOS with all of the apps available in Android.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The last apps button on this phone can now be set to any one of three settings. Don't have to long press to open, just quick tap and cards pop up. Also to close a app while it's open without using the last apps card button is, when app is open just hit back button, done, closed. As far as finding contact,, Google search bar, hit first letter of contact and contacts with that letter pop up. Very very fast. Android does all the same things WebOS does, and just as fast.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't mean to make this thread a WebOS vs android thing and I'm sorry,, I will stop now, but i just find it funny every now and then when I go over there and read some threads you still read how android has no multitasking and WebOS is better then everything on this planet (even though it's a dying system that nobody wants to make hardware for) and we android users are all drones,,, read that yesterday, yet there are many people still waiting for something that is never going to happen. Again sorry for the rant and ill shut up now.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't mean to make this thread a WebOS vs android thing and I'm sorry,, I will stop now, but i just find it funny every now and then when I go over there and read some threads you still read how android has no multitasking

That is too funny! Android has always had multitasking... well.... until HTC took most of it away on the Evo LTE and One X..... but at least we have it back now :)

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Android does all the same things WebOS does, and just as fast.

Well, almost. The Pre/WebOS Linux did not have to be "rooted" to modify the system, which was great. And Android Linux doesn't use the card "metaphor" for the user interface. Yet Android has so much more than WebOS.... widgets being one huge thing, voice typing is another big one.

I will always have a fond place in my heart for the Palm Pre/WebOS, and a lot of good experiences (along with the bad). It could have been so much more if it came out sooner, had more resources behind it, hit multiple carriers much sooner, and offered better hardware. Palm let their smartphone line rot for YEARS before finally offering WebOS; nothing was worthwhile or innovative after the Treo 600 until the Pre (that is SIX YEARS!)

But I don't have any regrets and don't need to look back.

Reactions: zmann

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Now, it's minimize, hold down the button for 2 seconds, flick aside, and wonder if it actually closed or is still hogging up space!

Not to dredge up two year old arguments, but you know you do know that just because you swiped away a card in webOS did **NOT** mean the application truly exited and was not consuming memory and cpu cycles right? In order to prove this all you needed to do was open a terminal Window, start an application like the browser, do a "ps" command to get a list of the processes running. In that list you will see the browser. Now swipe the browser away and do another "ps" and guess what? You still see the browser running! This would happen with many apps, not just the browser.

Why did this completely fly over so many people's heads? Because webOS, unlike Android, did not provide an easy way to see processes that were running. The assumption always was "if I don't see the card it isn't running", which is complete false.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Not to dredge up two year old arguments, but you know you do know that just because you swiped away a card in webOS did **NOT** mean the application truly exited and was not consuming memory and cpu cycles right? In order to prove this all you needed to do was open a terminal Window, start an application like the browser, do a "ps" command to get a list of the processes running. In that list you will see the browser. Now swipe the browser away and do another "ps" and guess what? You still see the browser running! This would happen with many apps, not just the browser.

Why did this completely fly over so many people's heads? Because webOS, unlike Android, did not provide an easy way to see processes that were running. The assumption always was "if I don't see the card it isn't running", which is complete false.

Interestingly, I have noticed the same behavior in Android/Sense. When you swipe away a "card" in the recently used tasks, I have often gone right into task manager and the app is still resident.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, I have noticed the same behavior in Android/Sense. When you swipe away a "card" in the recently used tasks, I have often gone right into task manager and the app is still resident.

I've noticed this from the start that let's say if u have a task killer it'll show u the apps it'll kill, they'll still be present in recent apps drawer and if u did it backwords let's say go to recent apps and close everything, I go to task manager and apps that I just closed are still open Su h ads facebook, games or a lot of other things, so technically speaking for the other poster both of them do not completely close the apps

scratchfwb

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Well with this battery it is barely noticeable. Withe the Pre I was on the charger after 5 hours.

ananniia

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the pre for 3 years before it died, moving to the evo 4g lte in May. I still miss having a physical keyboard and the multitasking, but its ok. I do really love ICS on the evo lte, and customization is great. I wish I could run webos on this phone, the screen is gorgeous, and I think it really would do webos justice. If I could have it my way, I would take the best features from each os and make my own!

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the pre for 3 years before it died, moving to the evo 4g lte in May. I still miss having a physical keyboard and the multitasking, but its ok. I do really love ICS on the evo lte, and customization is great. I wish I could run webos on this phone, the screen is gorgeous, and I think it really would do webos justice. If I could have it my way, I would take the best features from each os and make my own!

That is one thing I truly miss as well is the phyisical keyboard. I could type without looking at where the buttons where and not have a single error. I can type without looking at this touch keyboard too but not as fast or without errors as the palm pre or palm treos I had.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this from the start that let's say if u have a task killer it'll show u the apps it'll kill, they'll still be present in recent apps drawer and if u did it backwords let's say go to recent apps and close everything, I go to task manager and apps that I just closed are still open Su h ads facebook, games or a lot of other things, so technically speaking for the other poster both of them do not completely close the apps

But this is my point exactly about the Pre, the same thing happened there. Remember there was no "task manager" app. You had to use the terminal app. If you did you would see many of these apps running after you thought you closed them.

JimHuff

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
The Wave Launcher helps with my Pre nostalgia.

9yzu5y7a.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
But this is my point exactly about the Pre, the same thing happened there. Remember there was no "task manager" app. You had to use the terminal app. If you did you would see many of these apps running after you thought you closed them.

Yeah I know that but I was just trying to say that ice cream sandwhich does the same exact thing, even tho u toss the cards away or use the task killer u go and see the running processes and the apps I just tossed or killed are still there sometimes. Both web is and ics do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez