Need help putting kernels on phone

BigDroid

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Okay i have 2 Roms on my phone and i want o add different kernels to them. I have Cyanogen nightlies and MYN RLS 5.I want to try the Savzen on the Cyanogen and Netarchy on the MYN. How do i go about putting the kernels on the roms. I have both zimages on my sd card. Where do i go from here.When i try to flash he images i cant find them on my card.

BigDroid

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Okay i un zipped he kernel files with winzip and i just put the zimage files on my sd card. Where do i go from there. Also i im using a rom that came with a kernel how do i get that one off. I think i need a step by step guide. I couldnt find a sticky.Im very curious about netarchy ive read alot about it.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
no no no, never extract .zips if your going to flash them in recovery.

Just download them, put them on your SD card, and flash them. They will automatically erase and replace the existing kernel and they will also automatically wipe the dalvik cache because they use koushes any-kernel updater.

So
1- Download em and put on your SD card
2- boot into recovery
3- navigate to where you stuck em
4- Flash them
5- Reboot and enjoy.

Yeah netarchy is a beast for sense-based roms.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay i un zipped he kernel files with winzip and i just put the zimage files on my sd card. Where do i go from there. Also i im using a rom that came with a kernel how do i get that one off. I think i need a step by step guide. I couldnt find a sticky.Im very curious about netarchy ive read alot about it.

Don't unzip it. Go into recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache, then go to flash zip from sd card and flash the zip.
All roms come with kernels and you just flash over what is there. Thats is why you wipe first.

Hope this helps

BigDroid

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok Thanks.Im trying to flash but i cant find my rom files.I use rom manager to load my roms.Also if i have backed up my roms can i loadmy back up and flash the kernel with that or just flash a fresh rom.

BigDroid

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Do you know how to boot into recovery manually?
... You rooted with unrevoked didnt you?

Yes I do.Yes i rooted with unrevoked.I researched a little more and came across a thread where you told a guy to use Rom manager to apply the new kernel over the old and i got it to work.First i tried the 4.3.2 cfs no havs Beta and when i went into setcpu to overclock my screen froze and i had to take my battery out to turn my phone back on.Second i tried 4.3.1 bfs hvs same thing as the first.I tried restoring and wiping everythig still the same thing.I guess my phone gave up and it wouldnt let me pass the white evo screen. I thought i had bricked my phone.I tried several times but it didnt let me get pass the screen. I went to a last resort and hit the button that said update sim and my phone started working again.Whewwwww.Any ideas. Also do i delete the PC36IMG thats on my SD card theres 2 of them.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Some phones cant handle too much overclocking or HAVS (hyper active voltage scaling, basically undervolting the power draw from your battery).

That is why its freezing.

BigDroid

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Some phones cant handle too much overclocking or HAVS (hyper active voltage scaling, basically undervolting the power draw from your battery).

That is why its freezing.
Yea i see. ive still been reading alot and i read that i havent tried the kernel since i had that scare this morning.I appreciate all your help.Which one are you using. And i tried to overclock to the max.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you just can't overclock to the Max, my phone can't either. Just don't check the set on boot option while your testing the overclock.

I'm using the stock CM7 kernel.

BigDroid

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you just can't overclock to the Max, my phone can't either. Just don't check the set on boot option while your testing the overclock.

I'm using the stock CM7 kernel.

How are you liking that new Cyanogen upated rom. I love that rom.Im upating it as we speak.Do you use rom manager or do you add your roms manually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress