Which apps can I clear data from safely?

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So my Evo 4G has been consistently giving me low storage space warnings lately. I'm trying to clear data from apps that have gotten bloated - for apps I've downloaded that's easy enough to decide. But for apps that came on the phone I'm not so sure about. Which of these apps can I clear data and not have something happen like have all the phone numbers in my phonebook become deleted?

Contacts Storage (19.21 MB)
Dialer Storage (5.15 MB)
HTC Sense (4.01 MB)
Google Services Framework (1.75 MB)
Calendar Storage (1.47 MB)
Weather Provider (1.42 MB)
Mail (1.22 MB)
Settings (1.21 MB)
HTC Checkin Service (1.21 MB)
Customization Settings Provi (1.16 MB)
Settings Storage (1.09 MB)
Internet (1.07 MB)
Open Sense Plugin Manager (1.06 MB)
DRM Protected Content Stor (1.05 MB)
Download Manager (1.05 MB)
com.htc.dcs.service.stock (1.04 MB)
HTC weather sync provider (1.04 MB)
com.smithmicro.DM (744 KB)
EPST (604 KB)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

dwilli

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I've found I could delete was this: go to the new "market" which is Google Play and uninstall the updates, then delete UPDATES to some little-used apps. I uninstalled updates to Tele Nav bc I don't use it very often...those 2 things alone added about 75 mb.

Something's screwed up w the new Android version and my guess is they're trying to figure out how to correct it. I've had my memory change doing nothing.

FWIW.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question I clear data in everything when I do. Worst thing you may have to do is sign into your fb.

EVO-LUTION 3D

dwilli

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I was going to do that but there's another thread here discussing the same issue and people who rooted still have the same problem.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Root and delete bloat. Easy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The problem here though is I don't know which of those files are "bloat" and which aren't. Even still, I'd be worried about data loss were I to root.

Zmann - my concern is I'd clear data on something like "Contacts storage" or "dialer storage" and lose all my stored phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Would clearing data for either of those two apps cause this to happen?

Shaftomite

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Use SuperBackup to create new backups of
-contacts
-sms/mms text messages
-call logs (if u even care about call logs)

Immediately send these backup files to your Gmail and DropBox accounts.
SuperBackup will create backup files on your SDCard but go ahead and propogate redundant copies to offsite co-lo's (err... I mean... gmail, dropbox... yes I'm a unix admin)

Then use AppBackup to create backups of your apps... Rinse, repeat... Crontab dis schit fo once/twice/thrice weekly? Along with a script to rm the oldest copy of these files when the new backups run (after a comfortable number of backups exist... Maybe have the entire routine run every day at 4am for a week, then on the 8th day have it remove the 1st day copies of each backup file)

TEST TEST TEST
***RESTORE***
TEST TEST TEST

Anyway, sorry for the overkill, but point being...as long as you have good solid replication going on then DELETE EVERYTHING... DELETE ALL THAT MEMORY-HOGGING CRAP... DAMN IT MAN, THIS IS SOOO FRUSTRATING, SO UTTERLY UNBELIEVABLE THAT GOOGLE CAN'T HANDLE SIMPLE MEMORY MANAGEMENT IN ANDROID... seriously... Google...the supposed brain-trust... THE COMPANY THAT HIRES EVERY HIGH IQ GEEK AND IVY LEAGUE COMPUTER SCIENCE HOTSHOT IT CAN GET ITS MONEY-OOZING HANDS ON, THAT HAS AN INTERVIEW PROCESS SUPPOSEDLY SO OOTB AND GRUELING THAT IT ONLY LETS THE VERY VERY BEST AND BRIGHTEST IN THE WORLD THROUGH THE DOORS AND INTO THE MAGICAL-CS-ROCKSTAR-WONDERLAND-KINGDOM WITHIN (i work in silicon valley and know the score here... Starting compensation packages of $180k/yr plus stock options plus signing bonus plus relocation plus perks that would make goldman sachs veeps drool, right out of college... IF you happen to be in the top 5-10% of your graduating class AND in the Computer Science program of Stanford or CIT, MIT, Harvard, Carnegie-Melon, Yale (in that order)... That THIS MYTHIC COMPANY, THIS HALLOWED COLLECTION OF NEURONS AND SYNAPSES...WITH ENOUGH SUPER-CHARGED GREY-MATTER TO FILL AN OLYMPIC SIZED SWIMMING POOL... THESE FREAKING GUYS SERIOUSLY CAN'T KEEP THEIR VAUNTED FLAGSHIP MOBILE OS FROM MEMORY-LEAKING LIKE A BROKEN SIEVE ALL OVER MY PHONE EVERY DAY???
Really???

Shaftomite

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
-contacts
-sms/mms text messages

SuperBackup will create backup files on your SDCard but go ahead and propogate redundant copies to offsite co-lo's (err... I mean... gmail, dropbox... yes I'm a unix admin)

Then use AppBackup to create backups of your apps... Rinse, repeat... Crontab dis schit fo once/twice/thrice weekly? Along with a script to rm the oldest copy of these files when the new backups run (after a comfortable number of backups exist... Maybe have the entire routine run every day at 4am for a week, then on the 8th day have it remove the 1st day copies of each backup file)

TEST TEST TEST
***RESTORE***
TEST TEST TEST

Anyway, sorry for the overkill, but point being...as long as you have good solid replication going on then DELETE EVERYTHING... DELETE ALL THAT MEMORY-HOGGING CRAP... DAMN IT MAN, THIS IS SOOO FRUSTRATING, SO UTTERLY UNBELIEVABLE THAT GOOGLE CAN'T HANDLE SIMPLE MEMORY MANAGEMENT IN ANDROID... seriously... Google...the supposed brain-trust... THE COMPANY THAT HIRES EVERY HIGH IQ GEEK AND IVY LEAGUE COMPUTER SCIENCE HOTSHOT IT CAN GET ITS MONEY-OOZING HANDS ON, THAT HAS AN INTERVIEW PROCESS SUPPOSEDLY SO OOTB AND GRUELING THAT IT ONLY LETS THE VERY VERY BEST AND BRIGHTEST IN THE WORLD THROUGH THE DOORS AND INTO THE MAGICAL-CS-ROCKSTAR-WONDERLAND-KINGDOM WITHIN (i work in silicon valley and know the score here... Starting compensation packages of $180k/yr plus stock options plus signing bonus plus relocation plus perks that would make goldman sachs veeps drool, right out of college... IF you happen to be in the top 5-10% of your graduating class AND in the Computer Science program of Stanford or CIT, MIT, Harvard, Carnegie-Melon, Yale (in that order)... That THIS MYTHIC COMPANY, THIS HALLOWED COLLECTION OF NEURONS AND SYNAPSES...WITH ENOUGH SUPER-CHARGED GREY-MATTER TO FILL AN OLYMPIC SIZED SWIMMING POOL... THESE FREAKING GUYS SERIOUSLY CAN'T KEEP THEIR VAUNTED FLAGSHIP MOBILE OS FROM MEMORY-LEAKING LIKE A BRKEN SIEVE ALL OVER MY PHONE EVERY DAY???
Really??? Seriously google? I have to actually go in and delete absurd useless data from my phones memory every day just so I can use my web browser and send/receive text messages again that day?? You guys can seriously not prevent apps from writing ONLY TO SD MEMORY AND NOT TO PHONE MEMORY??? Is it ready to the point that I'm gonna have to write my own app to just do this automatically every day,.go into the filesystem and delete this app-generated garbage EVERY SINGLE DAY JUST TO MAKE MY PHONE FUNCTIONAL AGAIN???? Seriously Google? I mean I didn't even graduate from my schools CS dept... I dropped out sr year, and I went to WVU, not Stanford or MIT... And I can do this myself, but your whole company cant do it... Fo' rizeal Googs?
Wow homies... I mean... W.. T.. F???????

dwilli

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hahahaha THAT'S Classic....couldn't agree more. I ended up dumping the Evo 4g and getting the newer Evo 4g lte bc I couldn't stand it anymore.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
-contacts
-sms/mms text messages

TEST TEST TEST
***RESTORE***
TEST TEST TEST

Anyway, sorry for the overkill, but point being...as long as you have good solid replication going on then DELETE EVERYTHING... DELETE ALL THAT MEMORY-HOGGING CRAP... DAMN IT MAN, THIS IS SOOO FRUSTRATING, SO UTTERLY UNBELIEVABLE THAT GOOGLE CAN'T HANDLE SIMPLE MEMORY MANAGEMENT IN ANDROID... seriously... Google...the supposed brain-trust... THE COMPANY THAT HIRES EVERY HIGH IQ GEEK AND IVY LEAGUE COMPUTER SCIENCE HOTSHOT IT CAN GET ITS MONEY-OOZING HANDS ON, THAT HAS AN INTERVIEW PROCESS SUPPOSEDLY SO OOTB AND GRUELING THAT IT ONLY LETS THE VERY VERY BEST AND BRIGHTEST IN THE WORLD THROUGH THE DOORS AND INTO THE MAGICAL-CS-ROCKSTAR-WONDERLAND-KINGDOM WITHIN (i work in silicon valley and know the score here... Starting compensation packages of $180k/yr plus stock options plus signing bonus plus relocation plus perks that would make goldman sachs veeps drool, right out of college... IF you happen to be in the top 5-10% of your graduating class AND in the Computer Science program of Stanford or CIT, MIT, Harvard, Carnegie-Melon, Yale (in that order)... That THIS MYTHIC COMPANY, THIS HALLOWED COLLECTION OF NEURONS AND SYNAPSES...WITH ENOUGH SUPER-CHARGED GREY-MATTER TO FILL AN OLYMPIC SIZED SWIMMING POOL... THESE FREAKING GUYS SERIOUSLY CAN'T KEEP THEIR VAUNTED FLAGSHIP MOBILE OS FROM MEMORY-LEAKING LIKE A BRKEN SIEVE ALL OVER MY PHONE EVERY DAY???
Really??? Seriously google? I have to actually go in and delete absurd useless data from my phones memory every day just so I can use my web browser and send/receive text messages again that day?? You guys can seriously not prevent apps from writing ONLY TO SD MEMORY AND NOT TO PHONE MEMORY??? Is it ready to the point that I'm gonna have to write my own app to just do this automatically every day,.go into the filesystem and delete this app-generated garbage EVERY SINGLE DAY JUST TO MAKE MY PHONE FUNCTIONAL AGAIN???? Seriously Google? I mean I didn't even graduate from my schools CS dept... I dropped out sr year, and I went to WVU, not Stanford or MIT... And I can do this myself, but your whole company cant do it... Fo' rizeal Googs?
Wow homies... I mean... W.. T.. F???????

Not Google's fault, just HTC and Sprint. And whatever you do, do not clear "Dialer Storage" (Lose all texts.)

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89