Possible solution to battery issue!!!

What is your Display Usage at?

• Total voters

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Some of you may know that I was one of the Evo owners who was having horrendous battery issues. I could barely get to lunch time without the battery being drained to 30-40%.

Well today I went 13hrs without having to charge (and probably could have gone longer if I wasnt checking battery levels, taking screen shots, etc) and I think I finally stumbled onto a solution.

Before I get into a detailed discussion, I want to make a disclaimer: I am not that tech savvy (although not a complete idiot, I do not know alot about rooting, etc) so my observations and theory is on a rudimentary level.

With that being said, I think the issue is two fold with the Evo battery and battery meter (for those that are having issues with battery drainage):

1) the battery meter does not read correctly. Members have indicated that when the battery gets down to last 30%, it is REALLY hard to kill the battery. So I think there is an issue with how the Evo reads the battery.

Which brings me to the second issue which I think is the BIGGEST problem:

2) If you go into battery usage via the Evo menu (settings > About phone> battery info > battery usage) for those that are having battery issues, Im pretty sure your Evo is reporting display usage at about 15-20%. I've found that this is a SIGNIFICANT DRAIN (look at the pictures below) on the battery. ** Thanks for AldousSnow for pointing this issue out.***** I would like for those with good battery life to check this also. As they will report the display usage is around 3-9%.

To remedy the battery issue I would recommend the following:

1) Fully charge the battery with the Evo and when the indicator light is green (give it 15 minutes after it goes green). Unplug the Evo and turn it off. Once the phone shuts down, plug it back in and you will notice that the battery will start charging again (indicator light goes red) after it goes green again (indicating full charge) turn the Evo back on. Once it turns on, take it off the charger, and use the phone for several minutes and check battery usage, and I guarantee your display usage will have decreased to 3-9%. When I got the display to change, the Evo would no longer lose 10-20% of its charge within 15 minutes of getting unplugged.

2) Go into the battery usage settings again and click on Cell Standby. If you see "TIME WITHOUT SIGNAL" at above 15%, you need to go to the market and download NETWORK. ONce it is downloaded open the program and you will see that the SET PREFERRED NETWORK TYPE is set to GSM AUTO (PRL). I found out via XDA DEVELOPER SITE that this is a error with Android. You will need to change it to CDMA AUTO (PRL). Hit Menu> then "Select radio band" you will get a FORCE QUIT popup just hit force quit to make it go away. Then change it to CDMA AUTO (PRL) and then hit menu again to get the FORCE QUIT and then hit it. IT will boot you out (this is normal). This will change your settings to CDMA and you will see that TIME WITHOUT SIGNAL drop to below 10%. I'm at 3% now.

The two settings above should ensure that the battery drain is significantly reduced. FOR BOTH OF THE ABOVE TIPS, if YOU REBOOT YOUR PHONE AFTER IMPLEMENTING THE CHANGES, YOU WILL NEED TO REDO THE STEPS! I noticed this after I had to reset my PRL issue, my battery life drained by half with reboot and display usage was raised to 15%.

The following are my settings:

1) Have always enable data on OFF

2) 4G, GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi OFF

3) GTALK is set to OFF (no auto sign on)

4) Auto sync is on ONLY for GMAIL everything else is set to manual.

5) no Live Wallpaper

6) ATK. This is controversial but I think it works. My two cents is that while Android itself may be able to shut off programs, Evo runs on HTC SENSE, which I think does a TERRIBLE JOB of shutting off apps. As evidenced by the fact that the following programs always turn on: 1) SPRINT APPS, 2) Amazon MP3, etc. I kill EVERYTHING except for gmail, clock, messages, calendar, voicemail, internet, ATK.

I was able to get 13 hours today and this is from having to charge the phone twice a day (once overnight and again at lunch time).

From day 1 this is how I have been using the phone:

1) listening to music about 4-8hrs a day

2) listening to pandora about 2-3hrs a day

3) surfing the web about 4-5hrs a day

4) answering email and sending texts 2-3hrs a day

5) phone calls about 30min-1hr a day

Today I was able to do all of the above (obviously in 13hrs with a single charge) while also taking a bunch of pictures and recording a video. Hence why Camera usage is up towards the end of the day.

if you look at the attached pictures, you will see that whenever my DISPLAY USAGE was anywhere above 9%, my battery drained horrendously.

But when DISPLAY USAGE is anywhere between 3-9% it was a good day.

Mods please do not merge this thread with the other battery threads until at least people report back and to determine whether this works.

UPDATE: It seems that HTC is suggesting users to try the battery charging method that I noted above as some users have posted this in other threads:

You can charge your battery the following way to see if that helps improve the battery life on your device. 1. Connect the phone to the charger and charge the device until the LED turned green with the phone powered ON 2. Disconnect the phone, and power it off. 3. Reconnect the phone to the charger, and charged the device until the LED turns green again. 4. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and then power it off. 5. Reconnect the phone to the charger and charge until the LED turns green again. 6. Power on and use. If you have any other questions feel free to reply."

I just wanted to add this here, so at least even HTC recognizes this as a solution to battery charging/calibration, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: omhdz

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Second set of pics.

ALSO PLEASE HIT THANKS BUTTON IF IT WORKS!

Please vote if in the poll, I would like to see whether my hunch/theory is correct.

Last edited:

olsonn

May 11, 2010
Visit site
My standby is 29% and my time without signal is 95%. WTF?! I have been turning off 4G and using all of the recommended settings. Any ideas? BTW I am using your advice. Just installed network. I always use WiFi at home. Does that count as "no signal" for some reason?

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The lower the time without signal the better it is so it being at 95% is kind of bad. I dont know if WiFi affects the mobile radios.

But I read on the web that Android for some reason has GSM radio search function built into the OS (maybe someone with better understanding can explain this) EVEN on a CDMA phone (in this case our Evo). So the OS makes our Evo search for a nearby GSM signal or tower, thus wasting battery life. Apparently setting it on CDMA auto PRL ensures that it only looks for CDMA towers sprint or otherwise (if it is roaming) thus using up battery less. my time without signal is at 2 or 3%. I think it improved my battery life significantly.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We're getting there, cheebahawk1.

I actually used mine as a hotspot (note to self cancel the $30 charge tonight) for about an hour. It is very hard to kill the battery under even 15%.. i got another 90 minutes at 15%

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I still get 8-10 hours on pretty moderate-heavy usage.
If it's light usage, I get 14+ hours.

I recently rooted it and used the overclock widget to get the min./max. freq. at 225mhz when screen is off.

So I Imagine I'll get 15-20 hours of light usage with this, if not more.
I'll have to test it out with heavy usage.

To be honest, I like keeping my display at 25%+... I don't care if it runs my battery a bit more.

Edit: Why is your cell standby percentage so high? Mine's at 3%.

Last edited:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
1) the battery meter does not read correctly. Members have indicated that when the battery gets down to last 30%, it is REALLY hard to kill the battery. So I think there is an issue with how the Evo reads the battery.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's not reading correctly.

Lithium ion batteries don't drain linearly. The battery tends to drain more quickly when full then the drain levels off over time. The meter merely reads a voltage, it doesn't divide the total charge up by time to indicate how long the battery will last given the same usage.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't necessarily mean it's not reading correctly.

Lithium ion batteries don't drain linearly. The battery tends to drain more quickly when full then the drain levels off over time. The meter merely reads a voltage, it doesn't divide the total charge up by time to indicate how long the battery will last given the same usage.

Yeah as I said I'm not that technical but your point also makes a lot of sense.

But 6 people voted and all of them state great battery life with display usage below 10%, which I find interesting as well.

oddlou

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Just thought is point out that your poll is flawed, as it fails to give options for people that have slot of display usage and good battery life and low display use and bad battery life.

Sincere_2010

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Its freaking ridiculous that you have to go through all of this BS just to make the phone last a day. It defeats the purpose of having the phone if you can't do all of the awesome stuff it is capable of doing.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Same here but I know the day I purchased the phone I saw that reading at 0% but now it is not showing up.

Could the two patches that Sprint pushed have removed that reading from the display?

I click that page but there is nothing about time without signal. Do I have signal all the time then?

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Its freaking ridiculous that you have to go through all of this BS just to make the phone last a day. It defeats the purpose of having the phone if you can't do all of the awesome stuff it is capable of doing.

As others have said, our technology has made leaps and bounds but I believe our battery technology is stuck in late 90s early 00s technology.

there is no way for the batteries to power the high tech gadgetry without suffering some crappy battery life.

Hopefully my solution helps everyone, because I have been getting phenomenal battery life out of my Evo now.

mikegoldnj

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The lower the time without signal the better it is so it being at 95% is kind of bad. I dont know if WiFi affects the mobile radios.

But I read on the web that Android for some reason has GSM radio search function built into the OS (maybe someone with better understanding can explain this) EVEN on a CDMA phone (in this case our Evo). So the OS makes our Evo search for a nearby GSM signal or tower, thus wasting battery life. Apparently setting it on CDMA auto PRL ensures that it only looks for CDMA towers sprint or otherwise (if it is roaming) thus using up battery less. my time without signal is at 2 or 3%. I think it improved my battery life significantly.

I downloaded NETWORK and my phone showed up as already set to CDMA auto PRL, but I went through the steps anyway just to make sure.

Network still shows GSM and GPRS in service.