Keeping GPS radio off?

superm1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So in all the guides I've been reading, people say to make sure you have GPS off if you aren't using it.

I've been diligently following this (along with other things), and right now i'm pretty happy with the battery life on the phone.

In realizing how inconvenient this is though to have to turn on GPS every time I want to do maps somewhere, or an app is trying to figure out my location, I started to wonder if there is much to what people say.

So today I've left my GPS on all day (but not used any apps that would request it) and I don't really see much of a difference in battery life. The biggest difference for me however was turning off Latitude in maps. Without that, GPS only is requested on demand and I can carry on with my day.

Thoughts?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
do what works for you.

personally, i only turn things on when needed and thus you will never hear me bitch about battery life.

i turn off 4G, WIFI, GPS, Hotspot, Bluetooth, Mobile Data. i set up off/on widgets on a "Power Screen" on one of my pages. i can quickly turn them on as needed.

C01E

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying both ways and can't see a difference either, so far that is. I prefer to leave it on though.

- Sent from my HTC Evo-4G using Taptalk Pro.

superm1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
do what works for you.

personally, i only turn things on when needed and thus you will never hear me bitch about battery life.

i turn off 4G, WIFI, GPS, Hotspot, Bluetooth, Mobile Data. i set up off/on widgets on a "Power Screen" on one of my pages. i can quickly turn them on as needed.

Yeah that's how i have mine arranged right now too. My thought is that if I can get locale setup properly, I can probably get away without ever having to touch that page (provided I have GPS on)

snap20100616_171132.png

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I turn on GPS when I need to use the maps, I turn on Bluetooth when I use my head set, I use WiFi when Im at a hotspot, and use 4G when Im browsing since its not a voice IP and just Data. Thats why widgets are the best! I never leave them on for no reason. When I had an iPhone and Blackberry, I never left those on either and my Bold 9700's battery is a beast!

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm the same way: I set up 4G, GPS, BT, and WiFi widgets on my homescreen, and they're all off unless I need them. Mobile Network is always on because I do a lot of browsing and email and I like that to be no-wait-time. Wifi is only on if I need a fast, long-term connection (3G is great for just browsing and email for me), GPS is only for navigation and running (though I'm thinking it might help to leave it on - I get a lot of weird location info with just my cell tower info for some reason), BT is only for my commute with the headset, and I don't have 4G in my area. I don't use HotSpot, I don't use Airplane Mode, so those widgets can stay off the home screen.

My battery gets me through two days with no problem, so we'll see if GPS takes that down too much. Either way, I highly suggest widgets on the home screen. Turn off what you don't need. You don't leave your car idling in the driveway all night, so why leave your radios running all day if you're not using them? :)

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I also switch off my unused radios. With two exceptions: 4G is always on outside of my house, because it takes so long to boot up the radio it's not worth the hassle. Also I leave GPS on, because I'm pretty sure the radio is only powered on when needed. I would bet money that disabling GPS does not save even the slightest bit of juice when location services aren't being used.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
everything ive come across says the gps isnt actually receiving or transmitting unless an app is telling it to so you shouldnt notice much if any battery loss

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have also been under the impression that leaving gps on doesn't waste much battery since no apps are using it to pinpoint its location. I always leave mine on in certain scenarios because I use Mobile Defense, and if I know I will be at a party or something I have the peace of mind knowing if I lose it, I can track it down.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
leaving GPS on has to consume battery. your device is constantly reaching out to the GPS satellites and triangulating for locational data when it's on.

anon(26928)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure how much battery the GPS consumes, if any at all (when not being actively used that is)

From my experience using Spare Parts I have looked at what takes up CPU time and the GPS only took 1s out of the past 26 hours. I believe that is only for Google when I open my browser or the Clock / Weather HTC widgets that base its information on my current location.

If I would have to speculate, its an insignificant amount of battery use. Only time the GPS is actually in use is when you see the satellite dish with the green radio waves. I think the GPS icon (crosshair) is displayed to simply indicate to you that it is enabled for use.

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
leaving GPS on has to consume battery. your device is constantly reaching out to the GPS satellites and triangulating for locational data when it's on.

I would like to see some evidence that the GPS remains active even if no apps are using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87