Will froyo fix the 30 FPS cap on evo?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
UM, yes froyo might fix it BUT the froyo fixing the cap is before HTC touches it. The HTC-Sense-Froyo might not fix it.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure I understand the discussion here... Android itself has no framerate cap right? So what is Froyo going to "fix"? If the cap was something introduced by HTC specifically for the Evo (which by all accounts is what happened based on what HTC has said) then how will having Froyo eliminate this??

Or are you just thinking/hoping that HTC will forget to re-enable the cap in their build of Froyo for the Evo?

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure I understand the discussion here... Android itself has no framerate cap right? So what is Froyo going to "fix"? If the cap was something introduced by HTC specifically for the Evo (which by all accounts is what happened based on what HTC has said) then how will having Froyo eliminate this??

Or are you just thinking/hoping that HTC will forget to re-enable the cap in their build of Froyo for the Evo?

I guess they are hoping that Froyo's increased performance boost will allow HTC to remove the cap.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Im guessing no one on here lurks over on the Hack/Rom Section this has been covered...

Novatec - [WIP] [7/7] Higher framerate on Novatek panels | Kernel inside | Now for Froyo! - xda-developers

Epson - [Kernel]Modified Godmode kernel with FPS 'fix' for Epson screens (Yes Camera works) - xda-developers

Like i said we covered all this over in that section

You need to Root and Flash these Kernels of course at your own Risk...

Personally im Overclocked to 1.19 GHZ running 46 FPS And Undervolted

Battery life is amazing and the phone just runs sooooo Smooth

Hope This Clears anything up for you guys

I get that XDA is sort of Confusing just read thru it

Its honestly not too complicated :cool:

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I guess they are hoping that Froyo's increased performance boost will allow HTC to remove the cap.

Then the answer would be no, froyo will not fix the frame rate cap. Froyo could increase a billion percent performance, but until HTC fixes their drivers or whatever is limiting it, then it will be the same on froyo. Kinda sucks HTC did this.

mizzos4

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Im guessing no one on here lurks over on the Hack/Rom Section this has been covered...

Novatec - [WIP] [7/7] Higher framerate on Novatek panels | Kernel inside | Now for Froyo! - xda-developers

Epson - [Kernel]Modified Godmode kernel with FPS 'fix' for Epson screens (Yes Camera works) - xda-developers

Like i said we covered all this over in that section

You need to Root and Flash these Kernels of course at your own Risk...

Personally im Overclocked to 1.19 GHZ running 46 FPS And Undervolted

Battery life is amazing and the phone just runs sooooo Smooth

Hope This Clears anything up for you guys

I get that XDA is sort of Confusing just read thru it

Its honestly not too complicated :cool:

Have you tested HDMI output whlie running the custom kernel? Maybe this debunks the HTC claim that the 30fps cap was necessary to properly run the HDMI output and that this was a hardware issue so there wouldn't be any software fixes. Makes you wonder how Moto Droid X can run at 60fps on a 4.3in screen with HDMI-out too when HTC claims they can't produce the EVO with these specs.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Have you tested HDMI output whlie running the custom kernel? Maybe this debunks the HTC claim that the 30fps cap was necessary to properly run the HDMI output and that this was a hardware issue so there wouldn't be any software fixes. Makes you wonder how Moto Droid X can run at 60fps on a 4.3in screen with HDMI-out too when HTC claims they can't produce the EVO with these specs.

I haven't bought a cable... Im Waiting for the dock with both HDMI and Charging

Hopefully the Dock uses a standard HDMI out I dont want to spend X amount on a cable when i can get a better one in standard for the same price you know...

Maybe i'll just break down one day and get it..

swazedahustla

May 18, 2010
Visit site

That is because the droix x HDMI out is only limited to videos taken from the phone and its photo gallery. You cannot run HDMI from other programs like youtube and such on the X, as you can with the EVO. So the X is limiting its HDMI and the FPS is not an issue.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
That is because the droix x HDMI out is only limited to videos taken from the phone and its photo gallery. You cannot run HDMI from other programs like youtube and such on the X, as you can with the EVO. So the X is limiting its HDMI and the FPS is not an issue.

this is a pretty significant difference. if the EVO can output all parts of the OS to the HDMI connection, then that's pretty powerful and could take more resources to accomplish, versus limiting it to videos and gallery, which could be much easier to accomplish. maybe we should cut HTC some slack on this then...?? :D

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand how this thread went for 3 pages.

The answer is NO. Froyo will not "fix" the 30fps cap. Froyo has absolutely no impact on any sort of fps cap in the first place, and since any official ROM will be coming from HTC, they would be the ones to decide whether the next update (Froyo, or whatever else) will still be locked at 30fps or not.