Question for Naked Evo Users - Camera Lens

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the Body Glove case on my Evo since day 2 and I "like" it. I LOVE the way the Evo feels without any case on it at all, and would much prefer not to have to use one.

For those of you who haven't been using a case, how has the camera lens done? Have you been able to carry it in your pocket and place it on its back on a table or desk without scratching it?

Have you babied it or been rough with it?

I want to be able to go "naked" with it, but I can't bring myself to do it unless I know it'll be safe.

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
no case for me...
well, I DO use an HTC leather belt clip carrying case.
but nothing like the body glove cover.

I don't put the phone in my pocket, and so far, the phone is still like brand new, not a scratch or nick on it.:cool:

d0nc0l0

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i have my phone naked and i put my phone in my pocket with out problems. the way i think is that if you baby your phone too much you have more chances you have to break it.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How are you all putting it down, face up or face down (on a table or desk for example)?

Phil, in your best estimation, did yours get scratched from being in a pocket or being laid on its back? I assume it was just the camera lens and not the front screen that got "scratched to hell"? I would be interested to see a couple pictures taken with it like that.

Right now I have mine on one of those thin cardboard beer coasters, face down, and I have no worries. Its a Fat Tire branded one and its a big, long rectangle and fits the phone perfectly. Nice for my home office, not so nice for anywhere else.

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I put it down on it's back..
I'm always careful with my stuff, I treated my Palm Pre the same exact way and it always looked brand new.

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Naked....not particularly careful with it. Goes in my pocket, laid face up although I do tend to put it on something soft or something that props up the top. I'm not seeing any problems or scratches.

tprevett

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Slip Case from T-mobile (perhaps from the HD2), Got it on clearance from T-mobile for 3.99.. Wasn't even on the shelf, the guy got it from out back.. I believe it's nationally on clearance at T-Mobile. It's cloth, and the EVO fits perfectly. Still fits in my pocket without issue, also serves as a grate place mat when I take the phone out of pocket.. protecting camera.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just have the Zagg full body skin on mine... I put mine in and out of my front pocket when in my dress pants and typically carry it in the back pocket of my jeans since the June 4 release date... I don't really baby my phone... When I am in the car I set it on it's back either in the cup holder or a little dip in the console of my car to where it has to be set on it's side and is basically about 1/3 in the dip and 2/3 out of it but it's rubber and the phone does not slide any when placed there. I always set the phone flat on it's back.... Again I don't "Baby" the phone and it's been flat on the coffee table with nothing under it but if I sit down and have the option of setting it down on a magazine or on the table I usually go the magazine first. But I don't go out of my way to make sure it has a soft place to lay.... So far I don't have any scratches on the lens cover (If you look real close the phone does not lay on the lens cover it lays on that metal ring instead) Probably worse than scratches when (like right now) I looked at my lens cover it's got a bad finger print on it.. Wipe it off and it's clear as a bell....

I am like you I much prefer my phone to be "NAKED".... They spend a lot of time designing these phones to look and feel great right out of the box... Then so many people go above and beyond to cover it up.....

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine got scratched to hell after a week. That's not good. :-/

Phil, I am not surprised it's scratched up...I watch all your videos, and you drag those poor phones all over the place when you do your reviews...lol!

By the way, great job on all your videos...I am a fan! :)

ben dover

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't put mine in any case and I the only thing I've noticed is that the kickstand is starting to get scuffed but other than that, it's still like new.

I put in on pad of paper on my desk at work just to be safe but I also do that because the phone vibrates so loud it'll scare the crap out of me if it's sitting directly on the desk. haha

dcross9818

May 13, 2010
Visit site
robbie317 said:
I am like you I much prefer my phone to be "NAKED".... They spend a lot of time designing these phones to look and feel great right out of the box... Then so many people go above and beyond to cover it up.....

on the iphone, that's considered a "feature"

---dcross9818

twbtr

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow i took this thread completly wrong, i thought this was a gathering place for people who only use their evos while in the nude, guess im in the wrong place lol.

That slip cover from tmob sounds like exactly what i want, been looking for something like came with my first gen instinct, i loved that leather slip cover, protected both sides of it when it was in my pocket and still had the real phone feeling when i was using it, i havent been able to find one for the evo yet that didnt have a bulky belt clip on it....

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have always trusted skins. I would like to go naked, but I have never been successful at keeping my device scratch free that way. Ever since I started using skins (mostly with my BBs) I have I have had several devices that have not had any scratches. I use the rocketfish skin on my EVO and it has worked great. I just don't want to take the chance.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I've never used a case or skin and I've never had a problem. I keep mine in my pocket and lay it on my desk at work and I have no scratches. I also lay it on my kitchen counter at home. I am assuming HTC assumes normal wear when they have the lens stick out that way so I trust it will be able to handle it.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the Body Glove case on my Evo since day 2 and I "like" it. I LOVE the way the Evo feels without any case on it at all, and would much prefer not to have to use one.

For those of you who haven't been using a case, how has the camera lens done? Have you been able to carry it in your pocket and place it on its back on a table or desk without scratching it?

Have you babied it or been rough with it?

I want to be able to go "naked" with it, but I can't bring myself to do it unless I know it'll be safe.

The lens doesn't contact flat surfaces. Put the phone on a flat surface and look at it. You'll see it's sitting on the aluminum ring, not the glass.

Honestly not sure why people are so up in arms about this. If you set the on a rough surface (i.e. dirt) yes it's going to get scratched...with or without a case.

I carried the EVO in my pocket until the Seido Spring Clip Holster was available (now I'm using that). However it's not because of the camera; it's because of dust/lint. I learned from my Pre that pockets are not a good place for cell phones.

TheBundo

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The camera lens is made of "scratchier" material than the screen. Body Glove is the best solution, or glue a fat O-Ring around the lens.

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
When at work I put it face-up on my desk, but I have a microfiber cloth that I put under it to guard the lens. I just carry it in pocket or bag pouch, either alone or with my Zune HD which has a silicone case, so it can't scratch up my EVO.