Turn off Sense UI after 6/28-6/29 update???

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Just tried to disable Sense UI and it just keeps reloading. Can someone figure this out for me and test it. Only if you have the new updated software

omogata

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The stock Android launcher and related files are deleted after the update so HTC Sense is the only available launcher unless you've installed some other 3rd party launcher such as ADW. You can still turn off Sense and use another launcher. Just not the stock launcher.

Why HTC did this is anybody's guess. I haven't a clue. :confused:

Just tried to disable Sense UI and it just keeps reloading. Can someone figure this out for me and test it. Only if you have the new updated software

gksmithlcw

Software Engineer
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The stock Android launcher and related files are deleted after the update so HTC Sense is the only available launcher unless you've installed some other 3rd party launcher such as ADW. You can still turn off Sense and use another launcher. Just not the stock launcher.

Why HTC did this is anybody's guess. I haven't a clue. :confused:

Is there a way to get it back?

sdmeier

May 7, 2010
www.godcmetro.com
I don't use the default launcher so it doesn't bother me on that level.

But what does bother me is why would HTC take it upon themselves to delete a part of the MAIN OS. Did they forget that Android was created by Google, NOT HTC and if someone wanted to use that instead of the Sense UI it should be their decision, NOT HTC's. What else did they delete from the core OS?

It would be the same if Corel installed WordPerfect and uninstalled Notepad from your computer. WTF!

It just erks the hell out of me when I see stuff like this that had no reason to be done in the first place.

gksmithlcw

Software Engineer
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the default launcher so it doesn't bother me on that level.

But what does bother me is why would HTC take it upon themselves to delete a part of the MAIN OS. Did they forget that Android was created by Google, NOT HTC and if someone wanted to use that instead of the Sense UI it should be their decision, NOT HTC's. What else did they delete from the core OS?

It would be the same if Corel installed WordPerfect and uninstalled Notepad from your computer. WTF!

It just erks the hell out of me when I see stuff like this that had no reason to be done in the first place.

Indeed.

Grev

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
man.. this sucks.. i had sense turned off and was using the stock android .. after the update, i cant seem to go back .. fuk!!

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame that HTC opted to strip out the stock launcher, but there's no point in letting it ruin your enjoyment of the phone. Just use LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher instead.

They both have a lot of very useful features that make them better than stock Android or Sense. If you want, you can turn off any features you don't like and make it close enough to stock.

jt513

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have some screen shots of the Evo with Sense turned off?

snap20100630_231531.png

.. I have not updated and not sure if I will yet.

In addition, I would love to see Sense UI look more like LauncherPro Beta.

teiresias

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
IMO, this doesn't bode well for a timely (if ever) update of the phone to Gingerbread, since Google is already billing that one as mainly a UI upgrade of the OS, and if HTC just wants to force people to use Sense and goes so far as to remove the default Google UI why would they bother to even get Gingerbread on their phones?

Google really needs to start taking a hard stance on these manufacturer UIs and tell them they're welcome to include them and make them default, but that the stock UI has to be allowed (and 3rd party launchers can't be somehow denied either).

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
IMO, this doesn't bode well for a timely (if ever) update of the phone to Gingerbread, since Google is already billing that one as mainly a UI upgrade of the OS, and if HTC just wants to force people to use Sense and goes so far as to remove the default Google UI why would they bother to even get Gingerbread on their phones?

I fear you may be right here- it's a disconcerting vision of the future of Android in general...

Google really needs to start taking a hard stance on these manufacturer UIs and tell them they're welcome to include them and make them default, but that the stock UI has to be allowed (and 3rd party launchers can't be somehow denied either).

This is an excellent compromise that finds a nice happy medium between the "wild-west anything-goes AOSP" Android and the "super-duper everything is locked down do it our way or GTFO" Apple way.

I hope someone from Google is reading this thread :D

omogata

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding that HTC removes the stock launcher from all of its Android phones and that the EVO was somewhat of an anomaly in their lineup. I reckon they might have left it in there by "accident" in their rush to meet Sprint's deadlines. The update "fixed" their mistake.

Yeah. I bet that's it.

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am running LauncherPro and I am not using sense. I would love to post photos but shoot me no longer works and I don't want to root my phone.

Hey pants,

How are you man?

I too am upset about them breaking ShootMe. Honestly, I'm not mad at HTC about it. Some team at Google should be smacked upside the head for not providing a way to easily take a screenshot without rooting.

There is still a way, but it's a pain in the ass. You can use the DDMS application with the Android SDK to take a screenshot off your EVO. It's really stupid that it's either install the SDK or root your phone. WTF is the Android team thinking on this one? Major dumb move.

BTW, Are you still using your Pre?

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So when using a NEW LAUNCHER, how do you make it load at startup instead of the stock one???

You normally just select the default checkbox when the system offers the launcher selection popup. This should occur when you hit home after installing an alternative launcher. If that doesn't happen, you'll need to go into settings/applications/manage applications/HTC Sense and hit Clear Defaults.

To make things easier, download Home Switcher. It's a free app that lets you manage multiple launchers much more easily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87