Facebook Notifications Help

mightylos8

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I tried searching the forums, but nothing came up quite like my situation.

I have noticed that the only time I get Facebook notifications (the ones that show up on the status bar) is when I actually open up the app. Does anyone know how I can get it to show up in the status bar real time, without having to always open up the app to see them? By then, it kind of defeats the purpose. Here is how everything looks on my phone:

In the Facebook app, the refresh interval is 1 hour and notifications are active (checked). I even have it to vibrate when I get a notification.

In my phone settings, under accounts and sync, I have background data and auto-sync checked, and Facebook for HTC sense in the list of accounts. Sync live feed and sync contacts are checked, and the Update Schedule is set to every hour.

I did notice that in accounts and sync, when I go to add an account, "Facebook" shows up, along with "Facebook for HTC Sense", which is checked. When I click on the regular "Facebook", I get nothing - it wont let me choose it to add.

Sorry for the long post, I just figured if I put the info out there someone can help figure this out with me. Thanks in advance!

JayKC

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the extract same issues you do. It seems that adding the facebook widget helped keep the timer firing for notifications, but still not 100%. The notifications issue is a known big in facebook for android from what I understand.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad that you listed this. I haven't even noticed that I wasn't getting the Facebook notifications. I do get the emails though so I guess thats why I havent noticed.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I kinda just gave up on the notifications, and also uploading videos to facebook is lame too. But you can't have everything I guess.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Try Bloo. It's a Facebook app. It works well for me and seems to work well for others, too. It's developing pretty quickly and has quite a few updates in the three weeks i've been using it. I'm not gonna say it's 100% on the notifications, but it's WAY better than the Facebook app that comes with the phone (which is the official one I think).

You can search for it and see what people have to say about it. There is a thread or to in the android apps section of the forums.

mightylos8

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad that you listed this. I haven't even noticed that I wasn't getting the Facebook notifications. I do get the emails though so I guess thats why I havent noticed.

I hear ya, I also get the emails - at least we have that!

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one! And thanks for suggesting bloo, iamlilysdad. I will give it a shot for sure!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
definitely not the phone. i still think someone could make a killing if they made a well designed fully functional facebook app for android and charged $1 for it.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Download Bloo 1.5. I use this and get notifications every 2 minutes, with hardly any decrease in battery. It has fb chat on it and you can upload videos with it as well. Best replacement for the stock crap fb. Enjoy! :cool:

Its here just click the link I provided before.

Last edited:

techsamaritan

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Blip OS great! I also like using the Facebook widget while Bloo, gives me alerts. If and when Bloo gets a widget, so long Facebook for Android app!

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Download Bloo 1.5. I use this and get notifications every 2 minutes, with hardly any decrease in battery. It has fb chat on it and you can upload videos with it as well. Best replacement for the stock crap fb. Enjoy! :cool:

Its here just click the link I provided before.

Richard_Danger

May 16, 2010
www.twitter.com
Facebook wasn't updating for me or giving me updates, so I just signed out and signed back in, and now its working fine. I am curious as to why you can't add Facebook to your auto-sync, but Facebook for HTC Sense is added. Anyone have any ideas? Also, the Facebook for HTC Sense update option of "Sync live feed", is that the facebook stream for the facebook app or is it the stream for Friend Stream?

mightylos8

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Facebook wasn't updating for me or giving me updates, so I just signed out and signed back in, and now its working fine. I am curious as to why you can't add Facebook to your auto-sync, but Facebook for HTC Sense is added. Anyone have any ideas? Also, the Facebook for HTC Sense update option of "Sync live feed", is that the facebook stream for the facebook app or is it the stream for Friend Stream?

I tried to sign out and back in, no luck. I am also stumped on why I cant add "Facebook", but "Facebook for HTC Sense" is on there. The really interesting thing is that I also have Twitter, and I only have "Twitter" synced, not "Twitter for HTC Sense". With Twitter, I do see my notifications in the task bar.