Why does Froyo look like the 2.1 interface on the Evo?

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
So I was all excited for my buddy to get his Froyo update (I'm the sad owner of the long-forgotten Incredible), he finally got his OTA and showed me this morning.

It doesn't look right at all. It looks like the default sense interface, none of the 2.2 icons are on the bottom of the screen, it doesn't seem that anything has changed at all. I checked his settings and about phone to verify that the version was indeed 2.2, low and behold it was.

So what's the deal? Is this normal? Did Evo get some dumbed down version of the Froyo update or am I missing something here?

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
It's just because of Sense, HTC did not change the icons or skin.

So if he disables sense will it get the default 2.2 look?

My buddy rooted his incredible (which has sense), put Froyo on it, and the launcher looks like the default Froyo we have all been salivating over. This is why I was confused when I saw the Evo launcher hadn't changed.

I guess maybe the Incredible ditched the Sense UI in the unofficial Froyo release due to the whole root thing?

SdotJ

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure your friend wasn't running a launcher? Froyo was supposed to be a more behind the scenes enhancement than a full fledged visible change with sense that is .

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
So if he disables sense will it get the default 2.2 look?

My buddy rooted his incredible (which has sense), put Froyo on it, and the launcher looks like the default Froyo we have all been salivating over. This is why I was confused when I saw the Evo launcher hadn't changed.

I guess maybe the Incredible ditched the Sense UI in the unofficial Froyo release due to the whole root thing?

No Sense cannot be fully disabled. Basically how HTC phones work is with official updates and software, they skin everything and don't give the option for vanilla Android. It sucks.. But there are ways around it, like using LauncherPro or ADW and both of those can look like Froyo and can change the icons.

Once the official update drops for the Incredible it will look just like the Evo. Again because it's a HTC device and they run Sense UI over Android. It will always be there, unless you root to a Vanilla Froyo or use another launcher with icon change.

Spaceboy#AC

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. Once the OTA hits for the Incredible, will the updates only work when running Sense? I'm on LauncherPro right now, and as far as I know, Froyo Sense doesn't let you stack 5 apps vertically and without titles, or place 5 shortcuts on the launch bar (I could be wrong about that, I've been doing the best research I can without asking questions but I'm still coming up short.), which I can't really go without now. I just love it too much. Basically, once updated, can I still use LauncherPro and get most of the benefits from 2.2? And will flash and the faster browser speed work on xScope or Dolphin, or only with the stock browser?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. Once the OTA hits for the Incredible, will the updates only work when running Sense? I'm on LauncherPro right now, and as far as I know, Froyo Sense doesn't let you stack 5 apps vertically and without titles, or place 5 shortcuts on the launch bar (I could be wrong about that, I've been doing the best research I can without asking questions but I'm still coming up short.), which I can't really go without now. I just love it too much. Basically, once updated, can I still use LauncherPro and get most of the benefits from 2.2? And will flash and the faster browser speed work on xScope or Dolphin, or only with the stock browser?

Yes, you can use Launcher Pro on the OTA FroYo update.

Yes flash should work in Dolphin.

The faster browser speed will actually be a faster overall phone speed as the JIT re-compiles every app before it's process.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't look right at all. It looks like the default sense interface

Sense is the right (as in correct, not best) look. All HTC phones with Android use Sense as their GUI regardless of Android version.

If you want the stock froyo look, you need to install the stock ROM.