Received Free Month of Service From Sprint:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Evo on launch day. My contract was up and I was considering going to Verizon BUT I wanted the Evo because of the advantages of 4g (Voice & Data at the same time). I knew Verizon would eventually have their LTE network up and running, but choose Sprint because the Sprint Rep told me that 4g would be in my area by the end of July (then was told by the end of Spetember). Well here we are 5 months later in Nov and I have NO 4g service in my area. There is 4g 15 miles west of where I live (Pomona, CA) and it has been there for about 2 months now and has not moved since. I have 3 Clearwire Towers within a 10 mile radius of my house and still NO 4g.

So I call Sprint on Monday to ask what's going on. I was told by a technician that Sprint had no plans to get 4g in my area anytime soon (he looked it up in their system). I was not pleased with this news as I signed another contract because of what I was told by a Sprint rep when I went to get the phone. I could have went with Verizon and purchased an Incredible or waited a month and got a Droid X. I told the tech that I was not happy paying $10 a month for a service I was not using and does not look like I would be using in the immediate future. I told him I was thinking of canceling my service and just go with Verizon. He transferred me to Account Services, they apologized for the Reps not being truthful with me and they gave me an immediate $40 credit and they are going to pay my bill for 1 month ($158). I have 3 phones on my account. I already got the $40 credit and my bill for next month will be free. I guess I can live with this as a free month of service pays the extra $10 I pay per month for the life of the contract.

Sprint is doing a horrible job rolling out 4g. I feel they should charge those folks the extra $10 a month if they actually have 4g in their area. They are ripping off people and they know it. So if you are frustarted as I am just call Sprint and threaten to cancel your service because you don't have a feature that you are currently being charged for. Ask to speak to a tech to see if 4g is scheduled to be rolled out in your area as the Customer Service reps will go on and on how the $10 is for data.

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Pomona already has it (at least up to Garey Ave off to 10fwy). i am in San Bernardino (Inland Empire) and so far they don't have plans for 4g in this area. Funny thing is Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga is a major area and there is no 4g in this area.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I hope Verizon never advertises 4g until it is true. Most people believe the advertising, but there is some deflectors of truth in it. I almost went to sprint for the evo, but no 4g? (I don't like saying that because there is debate on that term) I hope verizon calls it LTE (nothing complicated about evolution) and lets Sprint and T mobile argue 4g. If Verizon is smart, they will play Sprint and T mobile by just having LTE. Glad Sprint made it right for you, good customer service is always worth an extra buck. Good Sprint!

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
In my area (CT), I've been impressed by the rollout. Overnight we now have 4G in Hartford, New Haven, Wallingford/Meriden, Stanford, Bridgeport, and probably others.

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
To be quite honest, I have fast 4g in my area (Honolulu), but I don't even use it, both because of the battery drain and the occasional system lag it causes. 3g is good enough out here, and I absolutely love my EVO. Would I like to not pay an extra fee each month? Sure, but I'll pay it for this phone. It's worth it to me.

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, and there is 4g in certain areas, even in San Bernardino there is some as well. I was shocked to find out, but I was at BJ's Brewhouse next to Ontario Mills, and I turned it on just to check. Sure enough, I had 4g service. It wasn't a full signal, it was more like 2 bars, but it was there. Also got 4g off of Foothill from Milliken to Vineyard as well, it was full bars too. In San Bernardino, I tried it and got a couple of bars of service around Lynwood and Arden. I believe they are rolling out 4g in the Inland Empire area, but its being tested now. Its coming to the area, I was shocked to even have it in the area, I know it wasn't there before in June or a few months ago, I tried...

Reactions: Bigfame

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Good to know Bro. Whenever I goto the Mills I check for 4g. Was there 2 weeks ago and I had no service. Maybe they have started to roll it out the last couple of weeks. I am by Cal State San Bernardino and I have not seen 4g yet. Figures they have 4g between Milliken and Vineyard on Foothill (the Sprint Corp. store is in that area by Home Depot, across from Quake Stadium). Hopefully we start to get 4g sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up:0

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Good to know Bro. Whenever I goto the Mills I check for 4g. Was there 2 weeks ago and I had no service. Maybe they have started to roll it out the last couple of weeks. I am by Cal State San Bernardino and I have not seen 4g yet. Figures they have 4g between Milliken and Vineyard on Foothill (the Sprint Corp. store is in that area by Home Depot, across from Quake Stadium). Hopefully we start to get 4g sooner rather than later. Thanks for the heads up:0

No problem, It is spotty, but its there. It will be nice when its official. I hate that Sprint Corp store off of Milliken, its always packed and they seem to never have anything. I usually hit the Corp store in Victoria Garden, there usually really good about having things in-stock.

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I LOATHE the Sprint store on Foothill. They are RUDE and never want to help. I goto the Corp. Sprint store in Redlands. Very nice and helpful

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Sprint only officially claims 4G in some 50 odd cities. But users with the Sensorly app have mapped 4G in around 150+ areas. I think they are rolling out 4G in more areas then they are willing to admit to right now....

I heard about the 150 area claim in a thread elseware on the forum. Taking a glance at the sensorly map coverage on my phone, and it certainly seems true...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Evo on launch day. My contract was up and I was considering going to Verizon BUT I wanted the Evo because of the advantages of 4g (Voice & Data at the same time). I knew Verizon would eventually have their LTE network up and running, but choose Sprint because the Sprint Rep told me that 4g would be in my area by the end of July (then was told by the end of Spetember). Well here we are 5 months later in Nov and I have NO 4g service in my area. There is 4g 15 miles west of where I live (Pomona, CA) and it has been there for about 2 months now and has not moved since. I have 3 Clearwire Towers within a 10 mile radius of my house and still NO 4g.

So I call Sprint on Monday to ask what's going on. I was told by a technician that Sprint had no plans to get 4g in my area anytime soon (he looked it up in their system). I was not pleased with this news as I signed another contract because of what I was told by a Sprint rep when I went to get the phone. I could have went with Verizon and purchased an Incredible or waited a month and got a Droid X. I told the tech that I was not happy paying $10 a month for a service I was not using and does not look like I would be using in the immediate future. I told him I was thinking of canceling my service and just go with Verizon. He transferred me to Account Services, they apologized for the Reps not being truthful with me and they gave me an immediate $40 credit and they are going to pay my bill for 1 month ($158). I have 3 phones on my account. I already got the $40 credit and my bill for next month will be free. I guess I can live with this as a free month of service pays the extra $10 I pay per month for the life of the contract.

Sprint is doing a horrible job rolling out 4g. I feel they should charge those folks the extra $10 a month if they actually have 4g in their area. They are ripping off people and they know it. So if you are frustarted as I am just call Sprint and threaten to cancel your service because you don't have a feature that you are currently being charged for. Ask to speak to a tech to see if 4g is scheduled to be rolled out in your area as the Customer Service reps will go on and on how the $10 is for data.

Who cares about the $10? Go to Verizon and get an incredible and pay more per month with Verizon... Trust me I checked it out before... I had the iPhone for nearly two years and dumped it for a Nexus One on T-Mobile (phone was awesome but the coverage area sucked big time) With rumors of a Sprint Nexus One around the time the Incredible came out I went to Verizon and looked at the Incredible and with my company corporate discount we get with both Sprint and Verizon (The exact same %) my plan would have been nearly $20 MORE per month than what I pay on the EVO with Sprint...

The only people I think who would feel screwed were current Sprint customers who were not use to paying the extra $10... As for people coming from AT&T or Verizon smart phone plans it was cheaper even with the $10.....

The $10 fee has never been a 4G fee.... PERIOD!!! It's because they basically learned from AT&T and the iPhone... the iPhone makes up less than 10% of AT&T subscribers yet use nearly 80% of the data pipe line... Sprint knew with the EVO and Epic those phones would use more of the network and put more of a strain on the network and charged accordingly... They just marketed it completely wrong....

They SHOULD have just came up with new smart phone plans that were $10 more than their current plans.... As long as you still had an older smart phone you should have been able to keep your old plan but if you upgraded to a new contract and a new smart phone you pay the new smart phone plans (ON ALL SMART PHONES NOT JUST THE EVO OR EPIC... just so it didn't cause the confusion it has and all the uproar over the $10)

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have been with Sprint for 12 years. We had Palm Pre's before the Evo. It's not about the measily $10, its about being lied to and paying for a service and not being able to use it.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I have been with Sprint for 12 years. We had Palm Pre's before the Evo. It's not about the measily $10, its about being lied to and paying for a service and not being able to use it.

I thought that it was made clear that the $10 wasn't for 4G, but rather for the fact that the "premiere" devices were more data-centric.

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I thought that it was made clear that the $10 wasn't for 4G, but rather for the fact that the "premiere" devices were more data-centric.

That's a load of Bs. The Evo does not use more 1's & 0's than say my daughters Samsung Moment. They both connect to the network and both can use the internet. What do the Evo & Epic do that's so special on the network that there needs to be an extra $10 charge. I can see the implementation of 4g, but that's about it. Most of us don't have 4g coverage. So why should we pay for something we are not using

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

It just wasn't marketed right no matter which way you flip it... The $10 was never actually marketed as for "4G" it was for premium data.... I had an HTC Hero for 10 days when I sold my Nexus One and waiting for the EVO release and I can tell you more often than not when I had to look some thing up on the internet I got up and went to my computer instead of using the Hero because it was slow. Now I use my EVO almost nonstop because it's SOOOOOO much faster and with the larger more crisp screen it's easier to see and view the web... THAT is why you pay the extra $10 per month... I have 4G in my area (Not officially but I get a great signal) but I rarely use 4G at all...

Saying you were "Lied too" about the $10 fee is B.S. no matter what you say.. From the press release of the $10 fee to today it's never been for 4G... People just love to biotch and complain about it as such when they don't live in a 4G area or in a weak 4G area.

Price plans change all the time... Have for years and years (I had Sprint for almost 10 years before leaving for the iPhone and went through several price structure changes over those years...)

If you love Sprint they have to generate money to stay in business and expand and this $10 fee is part of that..... It just plane and simply wasn't marketed right.... That is all.... It was a poor job on the sales and marketing department and you know what......................... It hasn't stopped them from selling a crap load of phones (I read the EVO is the 5th best selling phone in 2010)

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I NEVER said I was "Lied To" about the $10 fee. I was lied to when I was told that 4g would be in my area by the end of July (that did not happen), then the end of September by the sales associates at Sprint. I made my decision to go with the Evo becuase of what I was told about the rollout of 4g in my area. At the time I bought the Evo my contract was up and I was choosing between Sprint (4g) and Verizon (LTE). I choose Sprint and the EVO because I thought 4G would be in my area soon and I could use Voice and Data at the same time because that was an important part of my decision. If I would have known this was NOT the case, I would have choosen Verizon and waited for LTE. That's where I was lied to. Even the Account Services rep apologized to me for the Sprint Reps falsely leading me on. My decision to sign ANOTHER contract with Sprint was the premise that 4g would be in my area soon. Do you now understand how I was mislead.

BTW - If you go back and read what I wrote, I NEVER once said I was lied to about the $10 fee. I was lied to about FUTURE 4g coverage in my area. Big difference. Learn to read and comprehend before you reply. Thanks

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
BTW - If you go back and read what I wrote, I NEVER once said I was lied to about the $10 fee. I was lied to about FUTURE 4g coverage in my area. Big difference. Learn to read and comprehend before you reply. Thanks

Never believed what someone trying to sale you a device is saying especially Sprint. I know that is no help to you now and it really sucks that the guy at Sprint lied to you but he is just interested in selling you a phone he would have told you the phone could fart nickels if he thought it would have sold you on getting the phone. I am glad that Sprint has decided to help you out I hope it is enough compensation to make things rite for you. Just next time never take a sales person at there word do some research and get the facts before buying.

Later,
Dave

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, do you live in Pomona?
I go to Cal poly pomona, and I can't tell if you were referring to it saying 4g is there or if 4g is 15 miles away from there.

I guess ill find out on Monday when I'm on the way to school.

4g will come and I for one don't mind 10$ for unlimited 4g data. Despite the fact that its a little slower than lte I think its worth it. What I want to know is: with full connection, which network will kill your battery more either lte or wimax?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.