EVO 4G Owners: How are you liking or not liking the large size?

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey EVO 4G owners, now that you've had the phone a while, how are you liking or not liking its large size? As the Bionic and other 4.3" screen phones come out, I'm wanting their features but not their size. It seems too big, particularly once you throw in the bezel. But I'm interested in the perspective of people who use something this size daily. Maybe it's not that big a deal. No need to defend or to sell me, just share your experiences.

1. If you thought it was too big at first:
A.) does it still kind of bug you?
B.) have you gotten used to it and don't think about it?
C.) do you now actually appreciate the extra screen space?

2. If you weren't worried about the size at first or didn't realize how big it was going to be, has it started to grate on you?

3. Your next phone will be:
A.) Definitely smaller
B.) Definitely this size or larger
C.) Don't particularly care

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Droid X so the size wasn't an issue. I definitely appreciate the extra space. I never actually thought the phone was too big...as I'm a pretty big guy myself. The phone has always fit nicely in my pocket. I've gotten used to the size of this thing, so I imagine my next phone would be the same size. I could go a LITTLE smaller...but not by much.

Reactions: Astrodroid

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hm, I dig the size and probably can't go lower, when I look at an iphone or comparable phone with a smaller screen size it feels a bit cramped. The EVO is comfortable in my hand, gets slightly annoying when holding it next to your face on a long phone call but not really a big deal.

1) n/a 2) nope 3) B

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a 3.2" screen this was huge at first. However, the screen is starting to look small to me now - I'm even hoping for something bigger. Hehe

I love the size of my EVO - and won't be going back to anything smaller ever(hopefully).

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not too large. It's a comfortable size and it fits well in the front pocket of my jeans.

My wife points out that with her skinny jeans and smaller hands, my phone is not so comfortable for her. She's waiting for a phone with a pre-esque form factor.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was concerned at first about the size but now i am happy with it. the clarity of the screen and the real estate it brings to you is awsome. So my answer to the first question is c.

As far as number 2, I love it.

And as far as number 3 goes, to me its not going to be the size of the screen that makes or breaks the desicion for me. I will be sticking with my Evo for some time and I will change when i am ready. So it is c.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I was worried about the size, as I really liked my Pre. Now that I've been on it for awhile, I love it. My eyes are getting older, so the bigger size is great, and it's really keeping me from the temptation of getting a tablet.

I might be willing to go as small as 4", but that would be my lower limit.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have pretty big hands, so I'm pretty good with the size, however it can be cumbersome if you want to play a solitaire game...can't do it one handed. Also consider normal holding position with pinkie under device, it is difficult to reach the opposing corner, so for example closing something out using that corner requires a 'hand repositioning' Not a huge deal, but I think I'd definitely be okay with a 4" display as long as the pixel density is there.

I would also be a big fan if the device was slimmer, although we need quite the battery tech break through first for that to happen....and companies seem to still be focusing on chipsets and UIs

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The size is actually one of the reasons I wanted the Evo in the first place. I don't like using my phone in landscape, so having a 4.3" screen is great for typing in portrait mode. Especially with the Gingerbread keyboard, I don't end up feeling cramped.

I had never owned a phone this large before, but I had an HD2 demo unit at work for awhile, so I knew this wouldn't be a problem for me. I'd like for my next phone to be either the same size or even a little larger.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have pretty big hands, so I'm pretty good with the size, however it can be cumbersome if you want to play a solitaire game...can't do it one handed. Also consider normal holding position with pinkie under device, it is difficult to reach the opposing corner, so for example closing something out using that corner requires a 'hand repositioning' Not a huge deal, but I think I'd definitely be okay with a 4" display as long as the pixel density is there.

I would also be a big fan if the device was slimmer, although we need quite the battery tech break through first for that to happen....and companies seem to still be focusing on chipsets and UIs

One-handed mode being for driving?

I tend to use voice commands and voice transcription for "one-handed" operation.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I came from very small palm pre and I love it. Its thinner then pre and that's only thing matters to me. It even fits better my pocket because its thinner.I could never go with a screen any smaller then this now.

Evo-lution

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I never thought that it was to big, at first one might be intimidated by the size but you get use to it rather quickly and wonder how you got around all these years with smaller (Palm Pre)...I will never go back to anything smaller. I personally would like an Evo 2 with a 4.5 screen in the same footprint as the current phone but move some buttons around to allow the bigger screen. I don't like the taller narrow screens on Motorola and Samsung phones those screens make the phones looks really big.

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I put off getting the Evo for 6 months and loved my Hero. Mainly do to size concerns and the lack of available 4g. I thought I may like about a 3.7 to 4 inch screen. Gave in a couple weeks ago and got an Evo and I don't think I'll ever want a smaller one. 2 days and you are used to the size and when you pick up or look at a smaller one they seem like a toy and hard to see. jmho.

afilloon

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
1. If you thought it was too big at first:
I didn't

2. If you weren't worried about the size at first or didn't realize how big it was going to be, has it started to grate on you?
No, just the opposite

3. Your next phone will be:
B.) Definitely this size

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was rather large at first and after having it since release day I still wish it was just a tad smaller and lighter. I'm hoping for something around the 4" size the next time around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress