Here IS some Battery Help!

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I have had my new sprint hero for over a month and just like most of you i was very new to this whole android thing but loving it. So i got in to the market and started to download things and before i knew it my battery was only lasting 8-9 maybe 10 hours. After much research and study and experiments this has been my findings on my phone. You may not get the same results but i think this can help. Also note not all of these tips are from me directly but a result of my search for better battery life. I now get 16 hours before the first low battery warning.

Listed in order of biggest impact (IMO) to least.

First~ i found that not all of my updates/auto refreshes for notifications really neeeded to to be more often then an hour. (if it is that important to you then i am sure you check it muiltiple times in an hour therefor just stick with refresh on opening) THis is refering to email, twitter, facebook, weather apps, new feed, ect...

Second~ Don't bother with the Task killers i tried 3 diffrent ones and everytime after i un-installed them i could tell improve battery life. The are pleny of fourms out there that help you to understand that you Android system does not need a task killer. (but i do use Close Everything 2 as this help with closing everything which is need for programs not well built to sleep when not in use and for apps that "hang" this type of app isn't constantly watching therefor no battery vaccum)

Third~ See if there is an app you downloaded that seems to suck a bunch of battery life do this by taking notice to what apps you download around the time you noticed a significat loss in battery life. For me this app was "spare parts" (i really like the app but) it was realy killing my battery life. It does a lot of watching in the background. Now i know this point was a bit vague but it could be a diffrence maker if you invest some time in it.

Fourth~ Is a team effort of little things like...wigets that update a lot, the htc clock widget has been pegged by many to be a stress on the battery, lower your display backligt settings, turn off wifi when not using, turn off bluetooth when not using, when you are in a well known "dead zone" go ahead and flip off the radio and turn back on later. Now take all these ideas a implement all those that you can handle. Expereiment with diffrent combinations and see what you get.

Closing notes~ Also if you are getting other emails to your phone other then gmail i suggest that you concider setting those accounts to pull emails less often or concider forwarding some of those accounts to you gmail account. It has been my experience and some others too that the gmail account checking is less of a strain then it is for other accounts. One person said it is because the gmail account is more of a 'push' account where the others are a 'pull'. Another thing i read that i dont know much about is they say that you should push that red end key everytime your done with your phone to put it in to sleeep mode. The background was this: the phone's screen will timeout go black and lock after a set time then eventually go to sleep mode by pushing the red end key you cause all three event to happen a the the same time thereby more time in sleepmode. Now like i said not sure about the last one -if that is realy how the phone is set up but i do it anyways cuz well its not that hard.

Good luck and Good nite!
Post what has work for you.
Got so more tips let us hear them.

buggyman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I use the Advanced app killer and think it helps out the best for me. I don't leave it running though. I bring it up manually and check it off to also shut down each time I kill selected apps. So its not running. Helps me out.

I was new to gmail so I had gmail importing my old emails. I would get the same email twice. So had to go to gmail and set that to off. Now I just get the one email from my main hotmail account. also a little thing as hitting the off button to make the phone sleep as soon as you are done using it helps out a lot also I would assume.

I love this phone but I think the android should do a better job of giving me the option of being able to close apps like I could on my BB. I used to get two days on my BB with heavy use. Other then that love this phone.

barkerja

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
I did a rather simple test over the past week and my results were surprising. If you have sync enabled for google, etc. and near wifi a majority of the time throughout the day it's best to leave wifi enabled all the time, even when the phone is asleep.

I tried this over the course of 4 days in the middle of the night when I slept, all conditions were the same on the phone except for wifi on/off and a few other settings enabled/disabled to see what the effects were.

Simply put, with wifi off I drained an average of 4% an hour, with wifi enabled I drained an average of 2.5% per hour. This is with Google Latitude enabled, gmail set to push and all other google services sync. Don't have Twitter set to run in the background or anything else, just the default google services.

And this is with 2 bars EvDo coverage and also an Airave in the house so I have 5 bars 1xRTT.

To enable wifi to remain on even when the phone is asleep: Menu > Settings > Wireless controls > Wi-Fi Settings > Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never

barkerja

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
I use the Advanced app killer and think it helps out the best for me. I don't leave it running though. I bring it up manually and check it off to also shut down each time I kill selected apps. So its not running. Helps me out.

I was new to gmail so I had gmail importing my old emails. I would get the same email twice. So had to go to gmail and set that to off. Now I just get the one email from my main hotmail account. also a little thing as hitting the off button to make the phone sleep as soon as you are done using it helps out a lot also I would assume.

I love this phone but I think the android should do a better job of giving me the option of being able to close apps like I could on my BB. I used to get two days on my BB with heavy use. Other then that love this phone.

If you use the back button to exit out of an app as opposed to just hitting the home button, that is supposed to close it.

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
If you use the back button to exit out of an app as opposed to just hitting the home button, that is supposed to close it.

This is true in most cases, but some apps actually have an "exit" or "close" option when you press the Menu key. For instance... the IM+ app will NOT close out when you just hit the back key to get to the home screen. You need to hit the menu button and then press "Exit" on the screen.

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I think android ought to start having a setup wizard that helps with the basics of the phone and help everyone to understand the way the android system works. With a balance of power conservation, speed, and memory. That you dont alway need to exit ever app if there is memory space and that it self governs its need for memory to optimize speed.