Task Manager/Killer Users

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
As some of you know I've been working with HTC on some of the issues we've seen with the CDMA Hero.

If you're running any type of Task Manager/Killer it is highly recommended that you delete the program and allow Hero to manage the memory as its designed to do.

After almost a week sans Task Manager/Killer here is what we've found so far.

• The applications that automatically open themselves, no longer do so.
  • My internal memory has increased from 83mb to a solid 105mb. With a Task Manager/Killer my memory would drop to below 40 on occasion.
  • All lags are gone, phone is faster than ever.
  • The weather disappearing from the clock/weather widget has stopped happening.
  • The alarm now works without fail.

Once you delete the program, reboot your phone. If you want to do a comparison of your own, look at your internal memory before and after removal, watch it for a few days. Unless you have a ton of 3rd party applications installed you should see an increase in your available memory.

gmichie

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I just followed your lead and got rid of my task killer app. My internal storage only humped up a couple mb, so not sure what's up with that. Also, what effect have you noticed on battery life?

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
@prot0type - running the Hero the way it came out of the box with handcent and a few other 3rd party apps.

@gm46 - longest I have gone with moderate use is 20 hours, still with half the battery left.

gmichie

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Wow, that's impressive. I usually get about 10 with what I would call moderate use. I thought I'd followed all the battery saving steps. I'll have to go back and reread those posts.

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Are we able to keep one installed just in case an app freezes and we want to force close it? If we turn off the "auto end/kill" features of the task manager/killer apps, we should be fine right?

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
I don't recommend keeping one installed. That's totally up to you.

All I can give you is my experience, I don't leave GPS, BlueTooth or WiFi running, I only turn them on as needed. I haven't had any problems with applications starting up on their own since getting rid of the task manager I was using.

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site

Once you delete the program, reboot your phone. If you want to do a comparison of your own, look at your internal memory before and after removal, watch it for a few days. Unless you have a ton of 3rd party applications installed you should see an increase in your available memory.

What do you exactly mean by ton of 3rd party apps? I have like 15-20 downloaded from the Market. But then again, isnt one of the biggest things about the Hero its ability to access the Market? So if you're saying to keep away from the Market to keep your phone fast, isn't that like buying a super duper race car and saying not to drive fast with it or else it'll break? You pay for the race car because you wonna drive fast, just like people buy the Hero because you wonna download apps from the Market. Just a thought.

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
So my only task manager was Task Panel X. And by checking before and after, I'm assuming you mean the available space in the "Internal Phone Storage"? If so, mine read 124MB before I uninstalled Task Panel X, and after uninstalling and rebooting, it still reads 124MB. Should I just keep using my phone without any task managers for a few days and evaluate the lag after that? Because I was getting a lot of lag issues before.

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
So, just to make sure I'm doing this correctly, I want to tell you the exact steps I took. I uninstalled Task Panel X (my only task manager) and rebooted my phone. Then I opened all of the following apps as soon as phone rebooted:
Handcent SMS
People
Mail
Phone
Facebook
Because I know that these 5 apps I will constantly be going to have running throughout my days. I played around with the phone in this state for a couple of minutes and did still see a bit of sluggishness.

These are the Market apps I have installed on my Hero (not quite 15-20, my bad):
Handcent SMS
Quick Install (very basic app uninstaller)
Abduction (game)
Flixter Movies
Barcode Scanner
Sticky Memo Widget
OI Shopping List
Quick Dictionary
Labyrinth Lite (game)
Batter Status - free
Facebook
Wapedia (wikipedia app)

Again, I just wanted for you to confirm that I did this correctly? And just wonna say thanks for helping me out as well

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
You did it all. Just remember that keeping those 5 apps open are going to be pulling from the system resources. I don't recommend keeping them open if you're not using them. All of them will perform when needed whether you keep them open or not.

This is probably what's causing your lag. I also only turn on GPS, BT & WiFi when I need them.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
I use TasKiller, and Loopt would ALWAYS come up on its own without me using it, so i'd have to kill it. So how would I find out what programs are running or have opened themselves without a task manager?

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
You did it all. Just remember that keeping those 5 apps open are going to be pulling from the system resources. I don't recommend keeping them open if you're not using them. All of them will perform when needed whether you keep them open or not.

This is probably what's causing your lag. I also only turn on GPS, BT & WiFi when I need them.

lol are you serious. Having 5 apps open will cause lag? And they call the Hero a multitasker...

450rutmaker

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I also just uninstalled the taskiller from my sprint hero. I dont understand why my awake time is 100%. Ive been reading the site for a few days and hope that my new phone purchase wasnt a bad one. Im coming from a mogul. Hopefully ill get this battery issue straight soon.