Exchange ActiveSync - Security Question

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to ActiveSync because my company just began allowing personal smartphone sync last week. Wasn't allowed previously for "security" reasons...and of course now that I am able to sync, they have implemented additional security restrictions on my phone. I'm posting this in the MT4G forums because I may have additional questions regarding this that are MT4G specific.

First off -- I can no longer use pattern unlock... only password and PIN lock can be used. That's OK... but when the phone locks now, I only have 10 attempts before device data is erased! Sure..that's plenty of attempts, but I'd prefer the comfort of gmail account login info as a backup...oh well. My question is -- does this clear all device data as it states if login attempts are exceeded - or just exchange data on my phone? I can see myself forgetting my PIN in the future because my company requires I change the PIN every 90 days...and I may screw it up a few times with the dozens of other PINs/passwords we all have to remember these days.

Secondly - my employer is now listed as a device administrator, and if my phone is missing or if they decide data has been compromised....they can wipe the phone. When I looked at info regarding ActiveSync wipes online, it seemed as if only exchange data is erased...however I am told that this is not true, and that the entire device can be wiped by my employer now.. so my question is - which is it?

Finally -- if I root....would I still be able to use ActiveSync?

Thanks for any clarification!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress