Removable battery a complete non issue if your considering a S4 Vs. One

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Well the sleep timer would have to be another app like Tasker or something but it's doable, it is Android after all. I do not personally own bt headphones but if my car stereo is any indication of audio quality I wouldn't be let down. I'm with you on wired though. I never go anywhere without either my Vmoda vibes or Shure earbuds. I'm sure bt sounds Ok but I doubt they will impress me. I've done the extension cord thing. Nothing like waking up with something wrapped around a body part.

I think it might have more to do with the folks in the game not really being audio people. I don't think the protocol is to blame, athough I admit I'm not an expert on either.

LMAO. SNAKE! SNAKE! THERE'S A SNAKE WRAPPED AROUND MY ANACONDA! :-D

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I think it might have more to do with the folks in the game not really being audio people. I don't think the protocol is to blame, athough I admit I'm not an expert on either.

LMAO. SNAKE! SNAKE! THERE'S A SNAKE WRAPPED AROUND MY ANACONDA! :-D

All so true. Anyhow, check out some battery packs and maybe even something like I use www.solio.com and at least consider using them in your daily life. I was skeptical of the non removable battery before I bought the One even though I'd never used a spare battery in any of my previous phones but I looked into options and realized it wouldn't be an issue and it gave me an excuse to buy a new gadget. A thing I think everyone on this forum can agree is good. If nothing else, battery packs often provide you with many times the capacity a spare battery will and the ability to charge multiple devices. To me it was a eureka moment.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a use case scenario that I think speaks in favor of swapping your battery.

I like Google Play Music. Especially the new All Access thing. I plug in my earbuds and relax in bed. I'm not near an outlet. Blame poor house design or something. Or just say I don't want to have an extra cable to hinder my ability to squirm around in bed. I listen to my jams. I fall asleep. Music is still playing. Unlimited data/WiFi is not an issue here. I wake up the next morning to silence. My eardbuds fell out overnight and my phone went dead. Absolutely flat.

****. I gotta go to work. I don't have time to charge the phone, and my commute isn't long enough to get a day's worth of juice into it. I don't work in a cubicle so that's not a charging option.

Oh wait. There's a battery in the charging dock. I'll pop the fresh one in my phone and put the dead one in the dock. A minute or so later I have a phone in my hand that'll get me through my day, and that dead battery will be fresh and waiting for me to switch and Google Play all over again.

This exact scenario would be identically served with an external battery pack; but that's an example of the the exact "worst case scenario" that's served by either. What makes the external pack more useful is it's ability to store 4-6 "charges" in it's capacity, so that if for some reason you have an extremely busy day coming up and are not one of the people that gets a full day + out of their device, you're not standing phoneless after a few hours. You can fully charge it and still have several charges of 0-100% available should they be needed.

kurosenpai

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't really againts not having removeable battery but having an option to have one is actually not a bad thing. Its a win2 situation where when your batttery is dead, you just swap em your self. And if you're not having any problem with it just leave it alone.

I am the sort of people who is more to swapping battery then using power bank. I think changing it when the power is low (I know its not good for your battery health) is more convenient though. But it depends on your lifestyle and I bet everyone daily activities defer and thus their way of using smartphone.

Personally I like having removable battery and I hope phone manufacturer especially samsung wouldnt throw this feature away in the near future. maybe in the future where technology is getting better, battery are like to last forever and charging is like only take 1 hour or less.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
This exact scenario would be identically served with an external battery pack; but that's an example of the the exact "worst case scenario" that's served by either. What makes the external pack more useful is it's ability to store 4-6 "charges" in it's capacity, so that if for some reason you have an extremely busy day coming up and are not one of the people that gets a full day + out of their device, you're not standing phoneless after a few hours. You can fully charge it and still have several charges of 0-100% available should they be needed.

Maybe. But again, that battery bank doesn't give you 100% right off the bat. It'll be dangling for awhile.

People talk about the sexy, solid, unibody design that the fixed battery allows, but then they say just plug an ugly, solid box into it or slap a fat battery case combo thing around it to get more juice. Doesn't that basically negate the entire premise of the design?

Besides, I like my phone to fit in my pocket.

If that's how you want to roll, go for it. That's not what I signed up for though. I do not want peripherals.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. But again, that battery bank doesn't give you 100% right off the bat. It'll be dangling for awhile.

Right, don't get me wrong.. I'm not saying having a removable battery is bad, I'm saying the lack of one doesn't "cripple" the device. There are other feasible options that, depending on how an individual uses their device, may be better or worse than battery swapping. I think there are very few people who would find their device horrifically unusable because of this issue without being able to find a suitable alternative, though from reading this thread and seeing comments on various forums, undoubtedly, they do exist.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Right, don't get me wrong.. I'm not saying having a removable battery is bad, I'm saying the lack of one doesn't "cripple" the device. There are other feasible options that, depending on how an individual uses their device, may be better or worse than battery swapping. I think there are very few people who would find their device horrifically unusable because of this issue without being able to find a suitable alternative, though from reading this thread and seeing comments on various forums, undoubtedly, they do exist.

The whole charging thing is an inconvenience in and of itself. It really just boils down to how you prefer to tolerate it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Almost makes you wish people would use their dollar votes to support devices with higher capacity batteries. Like we couldn't trade .8mm in extra thickness for a 6k MAh battery inside this thing. The Moto X is said to make us rethink battery life. Hope that's true.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You don't get it, that's Ok. The percentage isn't the point, the depth of discharge is. The more you let a lithium battery discharge the more you shorten its life. So discharging to 25% will still shorten the lifespan just minutely less than 20%. If I'm not being clear tell me.
Here is the article. How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
You might find it interesting.

Uh, you don't get it and that's OK or you do get it and won't acknowledge it and that's not OK. You brought up large discharge levels having a negative impact on Li-ion battery life. I concur. But with a removable battery I can change it out at the exact point of discharge you can with a battery pack or a battery case. So that is a moot point in this discussion. I see you realized that you could not reply to my statement, "The battery is smaller and doesn't need a cable to connect it to the phone." It would destroy your argument about a battery pack being more convenient than a removable one. Verbiage and dissembling are not the hallmarks of a serious debater.

Last edited:

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Unless I am with clientele, when I am out, I am always with my wife. I buy her big overpriced purses so she can carry all myself stuff around (Pills, Wallet, etc). This includes the battery packs we have bought for our previous iPhones. If I put the S4 spare battery in her purse, it will will get lost because it is so small. Either way she still needs the battery pack for her HTC One and the best part is the models we use have built in flash lights.
Thank you for confirming that the removable battery is smaller than a battery pack. In fact so big that you need your wife's humungous purse to carry them around. :) You do realize that if you and your wife had phones with removable batteries you wouldn't need those large, easily discoverable in the caverns of your wife's purse battery packs don't you? And how cool does it look to have a cord dangling from your phone or a block attached to the bottom of your phone? Where do you carry your battery pack when you are not with your wife? An S4 battery or 2 or 3 fits easily in your pants or jacket pocket. And no cord to worry about.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Uh, you don't get it and that's OK or you do get it and won't acknowledge it and that's not OK. You brought up large discharge levels having a negative impact on Li-ion battery life. I concur. But with a removable battery I can change it out at the exact point of discharge you can with a battery pack or a battery case. So that is a moot point in this discussion. I see you realized that you could not reply to my statement, "The battery is smaller and doesn't need a cable to connect it to the phone." It would destroy your argument about a battery pack being more convenient than a removable one. Verbiage and dissembling are not the hallmarks of a serious debater.

I will spell this out then. The difference is with a battery pack you can recharge your battery at ANY level of discharge. Battery at 80% but you won't be using the phone for half an hour? Plug it into the external pack. Anywhere. Would you swap a battery at 80%? I doubt it, but even if you did you'd still probably deeply discharge one of the batteries during your day because if you are swapping you likely aren't able to reach an outlet. With an external battery you can feasibly be at full charge all the time and that is good for battery health. As for your comment about needing a cord and size, I didn't reply because I thought it was not worth replying but since you insist... Yes, you'll need a cord and an object marginally bigger. But you should probably always have a cord to charge at least near you in your daily life. And while the packs are bigger they also provide much more capacity AND the ability to recharge more than just YOUR phone. Like I pointed out before, if you say one of those anker packs is too big for a pocket you need to not wear such tight pants. Some of them are slightly bigger than a replacement battery with double the capacity. So yes, you need a cord and a bigger object, but who has a lifestyle where they absolutely CANNOT carry these two things? Honestly? And who is using their phone so constantly that they can't set it down to plug it in from time to time? If you use it this often I think you'd probably need many many spare batteries which are arguably LESS convenient than one battery pack. It might be, and I stress this one word, SLIGHTLY less convenient to carry a usb cord and external battery pack with you compared to carrying one or more spare batteries but I think most people would find the benefits would outweigh that inconvenience. If you don't want to carry the battery pack ok, but don't say any device is faulty or the like because you can't remove the battery. I think we're well past that notion.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Really? Tell me more about how your experience mirrors EVERYONE else's and other lifestyles are, well, wrong.

I just had to swap my battery tonight. That's umm..an incorrect way to live by your logic. By your logic, I really should have plugged my phone into my car and left it there, running back to said vehicle to check on the off chance I missed a call or notification or needed to place a call or use it in any other way.

Sorry sir but I like to have my phone with me so that I hear the ringtones of notifications and calls. I like it to be in my pocket when I need to make a call...or use it in any other way.

No, I don't want to be those iPhone people who we used to laugh at because they were always hooked to a laptop or power outlet, waiting for a few percentage points of power then taking it with them in the hopes that they got enough to get by again.

Telling me my needs are basically WRONG because they're different from yours underlines your ignorance.
I never said "your needs are wrong". I said the OVER emphasis people place on it is getting to ridiculous proportions. Apparently I'm showing my ignorance just like you're showing your genius

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no removable battery, no SD card no sale. Why do you even care what other phone owners demand form their phones? Do you really think your wants and needs reflect what the rest of the phone buying public wants?

I'll wait for you two to find where I said my opinion counts for everyone else. Hustle you can 'like' that too
Lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is easy and doesn't take much discussion guys.. Your arguing over the size of a battery now... Sheesh.... If the person doesn't care about brining a external charger.. Good for them. If they don't want to lug it around... Get the S4 with the swappable battery. I mean it is honestly preference and you can't tell someone they are wrong on a choice just because it doesn't fit you.

I personally have the S3 (16 GB)... And I rarley use the SD card and I've never swapped the battery. I can charge anywhere i am at usually.. For some though?.. May not be that easy.

Again different things for different people. There is no "one size fits all".

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I especially like the part about how I need to change my wardrobe to carry this spare battery bank and USB cable. Now my lifestyle isn't necessarily wrong but my clothes are.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This argument is pointless. If you have the s4, carry around your spare batteries and be on your way. If you have the one, use your anker or Mophie pack and do the same. There is no point in arguing over the efficiency in each. Both get you back to a full charge. Please stop the bickering. This isn't a "thoughtful debate," either, for those of you who would try to say it is. It's bickering about personal preference, which is just as wrong as saying that someone else's opinion is incorrect. If you want to bicker, head over to politics, but keep it clean.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I will spell this out then. The difference is with a battery pack you can recharge your battery at ANY level of discharge. Battery at 80% but you won't be using the phone for half an hour? Plug it into the external pack. Anywhere. Would you swap a battery at 80%? I doubt it, but even if you did you'd still probably deeply discharge one of the batteries during your day because if you are swapping you likely aren't able to reach an outlet. With an external battery you can feasibly be at full charge all the time and that is good for battery health. As for your comment about needing a cord and size, I didn't reply because I thought it was not worth replying but since you insist... Yes, you'll need a cord and an object marginally bigger. But you should probably always have a cord to charge at least near you in your daily life. And while the packs are bigger they also provide much more capacity AND the ability to recharge more than just YOUR phone. Like I pointed out before, if you say one of those anker packs is too big for a pocket you need to not wear such tight pants. Some of them are slightly bigger than a replacement battery with double the capacity. So yes, you need a cord and a bigger object, but who has a lifestyle where they absolutely CANNOT carry these two things? Honestly? And who is using their phone so constantly that they can't set it down to plug it in from time to time? If you use it this often I think you'd probably need many many spare batteries which are arguably LESS convenient than one battery pack. It might be, and I stress this one word, SLIGHTLY less convenient to carry a usb cord and external battery pack with you compared to carrying one or more spare batteries but I think most people would find the benefits would outweigh that inconvenience. If you don't want to carry the battery pack ok, but don't say any device is faulty or the like because you can't remove the battery. I think we're well past that notion.

Why on earth would I swap out a battery at 80%? Thank you for agreeing that a battery pack is bigger and you need a cord. The convenience argument is settled. The removable battery wins. The removable battery also wins with the buying public (check sales figures). Your battery argument is so down in the weeds that it show the lengths non removable battery people will got to justify their position. You know and I know that the savings from monitoring a battery discharge level is miniscule. Unless of course you have a non removable battery. The disadvantages of deep discharge for non removable batteries are far more serious than with a removable battery. If my S4 battery dies due to frequent deep discharging I'll just buy another for a few bucks.. The non removable battery will be difficult to remove and will cost magnitudes more to replace.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Why on earth would I swap out a battery at 80%? Thank you for agreeing that a battery pack is bigger and you need a cord. The convenience argument is settled. The removable battery wins. The removable battery also wins with the buying public (check sales figures). Your battery argument is so down in the weeds that it show the lengths non removable battery people will got to justify their position. You know and I know that the savings from monitoring a battery discharge level is miniscule. Unless of course you have a non removable battery. The disadvantages of deep discharge for non removable batteries are far more serious than with a removable battery. If my S4 battery dies due to frequent deep discharging I'll just buy another for a few bucks.. The non removable battery will be difficult to remove and will cost magnitudes more to replace.

I swapped out at 75% the other day. I wanted a fresh battery to see how much drain Now would have.

I generally switch when it's convenient regardless of the percentage remaining.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I swapped out at 75% the other day. I wanted a fresh battery to see how much drain Now would have.

I generally switch when it's convenient regardless of the percentage remaining.

I agree, switch when convenient. Here's my usual scenario: Going out at night battery has 40 to 30% charge. I replace battery because I don't know how long I will be out. Battery I took out goes in charger. If I'm on vacation and will be out all day and late in the evening I'll put a spare battery in my pocket and if I need it I'll switch it out sometime that evening. Most times I don't need it but we were on a dinner cruise two weeks ago that went into the wee hours and I was glad I had the spare battery to switch out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress