Lets be honest. How many people find themselves...

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
visiting the S4 messages boards and reading threads that should technically only be interesting/helpful if you owned the S4. I got the One about a week ago and I've been messing it before I hand it over to my brother. I've been interested in it since it was announced and it really is a great phone. I'm absolutely jealous that I don't have a feature similar to zoe and I would gladly switch over if I wasn't so satisfied with my Note 2. Conversely, I haven't had any interest in owning an S4 since it was debuted. Yet, I still find myself on the S4 messages boards everyday reading almost every single thread. I read threads from people just asking for help, I read threads from people just simply bragging about their S4, I read threads discussing software/ hardware features, tutorials....everything. But then again I tend to do this anyway for any phone in a competing bracket even if I'm not the slightest bit interested in purchasing them.

Any way that got me wondering, how many people tend to stick to one message board once they've settled on a choice and bought the phone? And I'm not talking about people checking "opposing" message boards to see if other people are as happy with their phone choice as you are with yours, or to gloat. I'm talking a genuine interest in reading all the little minutia that an average consumer would find interesting only if they owned the phone. If you bought the One do you honestly see yourself visiting the S4 message boards in a month? in 2 months? in 6 months? or have you already lost interest?

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Not even once. I was very unsure of which phone I wanted, and I research the hell out of things before I pull the trigger. After they both were available, and I held each one in my hands, it wasn't even close. The S4 is a nice phone, but it is just not for me. There is only one feature that I really wish I had from the S4, and that is the ability to get context info to pop up when hovering a finger over an icon. That's really nice, but not even close to a game-changer or deal-breaker, for me.

I think it's awesome that we have two great phones out at the same time. This is quite uncommon, as usually, major phone announcements are months apart, so you are always comparing today's phone with yesterday's!

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I do keep an eye on the S4 boards too. I'm seen as the 'go-to guy' for gadgets around work and with my friends (mostly because I tend to buy waaaaay more than I really need, it's sort of a hobby I suppose) so I want to have some knowledge about the other 'top of the line' android phones so I can make reasonable recommendations when people talk to me, and not just blindly say "get the same thing I got".

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not even once.

This is sort of what I was wondering about. I don't visit the message boards for comparative reasons. I've never actually bought a phone and then been swayed after the fact to exchange it for another simply from visiting the forums. Even when I am deeply satisfied with my purchase I still read through other forums. I could buy a phone today and come tomorrow I'll still be watching videos on youtube or reading through message boards about other phones. Like Karmamule said I think I do mostly for the knowledge.

The first time I left IOS for Android I would still visit apple forums for quiet awhile. Hell, I doubt I will ever switch to Blackberry but I've recently been reading through Blackberry forums as well.

I mean I've been in situations sometimes where I've read through a message board so extensively that when a newbie posts a question I can sometimes answer with specific details even though I've never owned the phone. I've seen many people on here answer questions and guide people on phones they don't own (and sometimes haven't even held) so i know I can't be alone.

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I went over once. I thought about starting a flame war. But then I thought "War, what is it good for?"

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
This is sort of what I was wondering about. I don't visit the message boards for comparative reasons. I've never actually bought a phone and then been swayed after the fact to exchange it for another simply from visiting the forums. Even when I am deeply satisfied with my purchase I still read through other forums. I could buy a phone today and come tomorrow I'll still be watching videos on youtube or reading through message boards about other phones. Like Karmamule said I think I do mostly for the knowledge.

The first time I left IOS for Android I would still visit apple forums for quiet awhile. Hell, I doubt I will ever switch to Blackberry but I've recently been reading through Blackberry forums as well.

I mean I've been in situations sometimes where I've read through a message board so extensively that when a newbie posts a question I can sometimes answer with specific details even though I've never owned the phone. I've seen many people on here answer questions and guide people on phones they don't own (and sometimes haven't even held) so i know I can't be alone.

Yeah, I totally get your point. I DO keep up with the other info on the S4, but not through the forums. I still read the reviews and sales announcements and such, but the forums have SO many threads... I can barely keep up with the One forums!!!:eek:

I, also, am a technology go-to person at work, but more from a desktop/application standpoint. I'll let others be the "experts" in mobile. :)

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I keep an eye on the boards but not interested in every thread. I check some out because they could be helpful in the event I get one at a later date or if they have some info about some upcoming news. For instance I been looking at the 32gb thread and it was there where I first saw the news that Att will release it on the 10th. And that was something for .e to keep in mind. Also, as a previous S3 owner I am also able to help S4 users with some basic questions. I do that anyway around the boards.

bgesullo

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I really message boards for all devices, or as many as I can. I like to see what other people are saying about other devices. However, I don't get that jealous or anything. When I choose a phone to buy, I usually know what I am getting myself into and look at all options.

Sent from my HTC One using the Android Central forum app.

3Dee

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Love my HTC One, and love reading about the latest and greatest phones of all makes and platforms.

Couldn't be happier with my One and do on occasion find myself feeling a bit smug looking elsewhre (lag? What lag? ;)), but love reading about all awesome devices and hearing what other (reasonable) users have to say :cool:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Regardless how much I love it, I will lose interest after over 6 months (this is why I'm single, LOL).

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I do and I think it's normal to look at other phones and see how are they performing, not necessary because I want them though. I also watch unboxing and review videos of other phones as well cuz I love to see the pros and cons of them.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I read every single post that's made in these fourms. I have them all come in on my RSS feed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 8.38.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 8.38.19 PM.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 54

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I read both forums to help me make a decision. Everything from bugs, photos, issues and positives, all help me. I'll probably stop looking at both after I make a decision though.

Tom