To root or not to root

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I had my phone for two weeks now and I love it HTC has alwaysbeen my favorite I'm not bored of it yet but I jailbroke my iPhone 5 when I had it and got pretty good at tweaking and modding it. Is rooting androids similar? The reason I jailbroke it is everything I can already pretty much do on the one so im kind of looking for pros and cons for rooting and the difficulty of it. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I had my phone for two weeks now and I love it HTC has alwaysbeen my favorite I'm not bored of it yet but I jailbroke my iPhone 5 when I had it and got pretty good at tweaking and modding it. Is rooting androids similar? The reason I jailbroke it is everything I can already pretty much do on the one so im kind of looking for pros and cons for rooting and the difficulty of it. Thanks

Root is good because you have access to additional apps, as well as ad-blockers. I don't think it is difficult - I rooted/rom'd my prior phone, but haven't rooted the One yet. Best place to go is XDA and read there.

But, yeah, there isn't a ton of things you need to root for on Android these days.

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
As I have an S3, I'm not too sure about the particulars on the One.. I will throw my two cents in on this though.. I rooted my S3 two months in, and I kick myself for not doing it sooner, as the customization options and plethora of other advantages are incredible! One thing I was sure to do though, is READ READ READ, and then read again.. If there are instructions for your carrier specific phone posted in your forum, follow those.. How to Root the HTC One (International, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile) - YouTube These videos are extremely helpful, qbking77 knows what he is doing.. I'm sure there will be other people that can chime in with more information, I'm sure I'm overlooking something.. Happy rooting! How to Unlock the HTC One Bootloader [All Models] - YouTube
QBKING77's videos are great, this guy really knows what he is doing..

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi DS, welcome the AC. Here is an Article Jerry H. posted a few years ago on the topic of root, you might find it useful and it will likely answer your questions: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

I have owned 4 Android devices and rooted all 4 without hesitation. For me, it's about ridding the device of the manufacturers skin/UI and instlaling a stock Android ROM, or installing a modified ROM based on the stock OS that is performance enhanced. Rooting also allows me to use utility apps (Titanium Backup) to backup apps, data, text message, etc. that might not be available to a non-rooted device.

If you are unahappy with the device (which you are not) or want full control of the device, then rooting is for you. Rooting or not is very subjective and everyone has their own opninons. I listed a few of my Pro's. Some Cons: Possible bricking of the device due to system level changes you are not supposed to make or voiding of the manufacture or carrier warranty. Some carriers or manufacturers may still honor the warranty if you root. However, you should know that it could be an issue. Keep in mind that restoring to stock, unrooted state should be available.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
My One is already rooted and bootloader unlocked.. I am not exactly an ADB expert, but I just followed the instructions, got my unlock key from HTCDEV and off I went

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted and rommed, however restored via the ruu. Losing ir blaster support is a deal breaker.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I thought the IR Blaster was something that was only included in HTC software (like stock rooted with Sense 5 intact)..Which roms are you running Gathom? I know you can buy that way overpriced one on the market, but the bone stock one works just fine for me

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought the IR Blaster was something that was only included in HTC software (like stock rooted with Sense 5 intact)..Which roms are you running Gathom? I know you can buy that way overpriced one on the market, but the bone stock one works just fine for me

I've run Android Revolution HD (which I'm running right now), TrickDroid, and Maximus.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Crashing and Unstable is the reason why I haven't Rooted any of my android phones. That and I'm totally lost. :(

I guess that's why I'm happy with Launchers, Nova Prime.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't rooted or jailbreak any of my phones because I haven't had a reason to do so. I have rooted my Kindle Fire, but that was to install a custom rom.

PittsDriver

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I rooted mine after debating it for a while. So glad I did, it is super easy and allows me to tweak things a little more to my liking.

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've unlocked the bootloader and rooted it, but I'm keeping stock on it for now. My thought was if/when 4.2.2 drops for HTC I'll upload that ROM to my phone instead of waiting for the delay from AT&T...

I figured having it unlocked now would be good in case they decided to not allow the AT&T phones the ability to do so in the future.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I've unlocked the bootloader and rooted it, but I'm keeping stock on it for now. My thought was if/when 4.2.2 drops for HTC I'll upload that ROM to my phone instead of waiting for the delay from AT&T...

I figured having it unlocked now would be good in case they decided to not allow the AT&T phones the ability to do so in the future.

Did you make a nandroid backup? It's invaluable for getting out of trouble.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress