M8 Lollipop Update Received

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Unbranded UK on EE from Carphone Warehouse, I got 5.0.1 yesterday. I'm very pleased with it so far. It's fast, smooth and clean. Battery life still seems very good (it got a lot better after an update some time ago). I did a cache partition wipe as a precaution since the update, but I've never done one before. I was slightly surprised by how little change there was, but many apps have had the material design updates for a while.

I can't actually see an option to turn smart lock on. Any clues where to find it?

Settings>Security>Trust agents, toggle smart lock on and back out to security settings. You should now see a smart lock section 3rd from the top.

Posted via the Android Central App

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
For no apparent reason, my Lock Screen wall paper seems to change by itself.

I have it set o a custom wallpaper, from my camera, but after a couple days the picture will change to some random image not from my camera shots. It use to change to some random Barcode, then it changed to a picture of a sports announcer from a local TV.
Changing it back to what I want will not take effect till I reboot the phone.

I should point out that because I have a dot view case, and the phone is set up to unlock on dot-view Open, I seldom see my lock screen.

BruceCk

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Settings>Security>Trust agents, toggle smart lock on and back out to security settings. You should now see a smart lock section 3rd from the top.

Thanks, I'd never have found that! I tried the HTC One help files, but useless - no mention. Did all that, setting my home location and re-booted, but it still demands the unlock pattern after the 3 minutes it is set to come on. I'm not too fussed, as I suspect it will be doing lots of things by accident in my pocket without the pattern. It would be useful to know if I'm doing something wrong though.

BruceCk

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'd never have found that! I tried the HTC One help files, but useless - no mention. Did all that, setting my home location and re-booted, but it still demands the unlock pattern after the 3 minutes it is set to come on. I'm not too fussed, as I suspect it will be doing lots of things by accident in my pocket without the pattern. It would be useful to know if I'm doing something wrong though.
Answering myself - I initially used my home postcode, which didn't work. Too large, or centred on the wrong place I guess? I created a custom one with the GPS on, and it now works. This article says you need to have the GPS on for it to work, but I just tried it with it switched off, and it still works:
Smart lock screen security options in Android 5.0 Lollipop | Android Central

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Upgraded last night.. Sense has really made the transition easier compared to 'naked' Android on the Nexus devices..

Really don't like the new notification system :( I much preferred the discreet icon in the status bar, like when I received a whatsapp as opposed to an in-your-face you-have-have-message-with-hidden-content-that-will-make-people-more-curious-to-try-to-read-your-messages.

Also, not a fan of the recent apps facility.. Tiles were so much more intuitive and now you are unable to kill all running apps with one button!

More change for the sake of change it seems.. Instead of reducing button presses, they are being increased!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Also, not a fan of the recent apps facility.. Tiles were so much more intuitive and now you are unable to kill all running apps with one button!

You can switch back to the grid view and get your one button kill back easily enough. But usually killing all just doesn't improve performance in any way. It actually doesn't really kill many things. Just check your Running Apps before and after hitting the Kill-recent-X and you will see most of them still running.

Last edited:

rm05

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Not seen any benefits from this update so far. But of course, more services seem to be running by default. I've disabled the obvious Google culprits, but can anyone suggest which new apps can be disabled, for those of us who hate bloat? Their cryptic names are too new for a Google search it seems.

rm05

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Oh I tell a lie - the Power > History graph is looking better. Let's hope they fixed the bug I had with it which made its findings unreliable...

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Not seen any benefits from this update so far. But of course, more services seem to be running by default. I've disabled the obvious Google culprits, but can anyone suggest which new apps can be disabled, for those of us who hate bloat? Their cryptic names are too new for a Google search it seems.

Apps I have disabled in my Unbranded unlocked M8:
(warning: this list is not for the socially insecure)

Automotive Traffoc
Flexnet*
Google+
Google+ for HTC Sense
HTC Account
Instagram for HTC Sense
Linkedin for HTC Sense
Twitter for htc Sense
Udove*
Zoe
Google Play NewsStand
Kid Mode
Other suspect ones that I turn off (but really don't know about)
HTC DM
HTC Recommend
Scribble

HTCMode ?
HTC Mobile Data ?
HTC Reminder View Resource ?
Location Picker ?

In addition, there is an app you can't delete without rooting, but you can turn off in
Settings / Secuirty / Apps with Usage access.
Its called DemoflowpackageInstaller and has its own on/off switch.

If you use any form of Video Chat, you should get and install the
(market)l HTC Video Chat Enhance. It makes the camera follow your face
so keeping your face in the camera is easier.

liutena

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The new lollipop popup notifications from whatsapp are annoying. Anyone knows how to disable just the popup? Googling about it, looks like it can be disabled through the Priority Interruptions screen, but I can't find it on m8's settings:

9WNN2Ep.png

ZVb9WpR.png

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Agreed.. the toaster popups are annoying.. I don't like information to be thrown at me.. I like to get an alert and read the message in my own time without it being shoved down my throat.. Its distracting, doesn't add value and, for the privacy concious of us, isn't discreet when you are using your phone in view of others.

stefanwi1987

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
While taking the screenshot I wasn't in the lock screen, because from lock screen there's no option to open the recent apps (soft buttons are missing)...

My problem is solved. I hadn't activated the Google search app when I performed the update. I did it afterwards, restarted the device and see: The three dots to change between grid an Lollipop style appeared... Also the Google search bar. I've deactivated the Google app again, but the possibility to change is still there.

Regards,
Stefan