Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

Dave Menday

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I have unlocked my bootloader and i have used clockwork mod on it ad successfully loaded a custom rom but i tried to sideload another rom using Hasoon2000's HTC tool Kit and now i can't get the phone back to recovery mode even after flashing the clockwork mod again. It just says entering recovery mode seems to start then turns off.

Any advice would be great. Have i just made a paperweight.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I have unlocked my bootloader and i have used clockwork mod on it ad successfully loaded a custom rom but i tried to sideload another rom using Hasoon2000's HTC tool Kit and now i can't get the phone back to recovery mode even after flashing the clockwork mod again. It just says entering recovery mode seems to start then turns off.

You can try flashing TWRP recovery. See if you can boot into recovery then.

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Is the bootloader still unlocked ?

Dave Menday

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
All ok now just for the record I had to format the sdcard etc (internal) and then remount. The do a side load everything is now working great with Venom one rom.
p.s thanks for the help

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
You can try flashing TWRP recovery. See if you can boot into recovery then.

Hey wizzrah do you have any ideas on how to get my htc one back into recovery. benny3 suggested it may have a corrupted EMMC.
Our discussion is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...k-bootloader-cant-get-into-recovery-help.html
I found a thread discussing how to possibly fix the corruption but I need to get into recovery.
Android Revolution HD | Mobile Device Technologies: How to: fix a corrupted DATA partition on the HTC One

I've tried re flashing recovery. I've tried locking bootloader and flashing using RUU, but the bootloader won't lock. I'm locked how of everything except bootlaoder/fastboot usb. If I try anything such as enter recovery or reboot I get stuck in boot loop.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey wizzrah do you have any ideas on how to get my htc one back into recovery. benny3 suggested it may have a corrupted EMMC.
Our discussion is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...k-bootloader-cant-get-into-recovery-help.html
I found a thread discussing how to possibly fix the corruption but I need to get into recovery.
Android Revolution HD | Mobile Device Technologies: How to: fix a corrupted DATA partition on the HTC One

I've tried re flashing recovery. I've tried locking bootloader and flashing using RUU, but the bootloader won't lock. I'm locked how of everything except bootlaoder/fastboot usb. If I try anything such as enter recovery or reboot I get stuck in boot loop.

Do you still have the unlock code for your bootloader?

jondon156

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin

ok I did it and it failed. here is the output

c:\Users\bricedorman\Desktop\platform-tools>fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
target reported max download size of 1526722560 bytes
sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.140s]
writing 'unlocktoken'...
FAILED (remote: unlock token check failed)
finished. total time: 0.140s

Clifford Ball

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
The link supplied above for the [TOOL] HTC One (M7) All-In-One Toolkit V1.2 [4-11-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers has been removed on the XDA site. Does anyone know where I can get a copy? My HTC One (AT&T) locks up when I boot my phone in recovery mode and never get to the screen to install zip from sdcard. I'm hoping this toolkit will help me finish the rooting process. I've done everything else up to this point, but can't go any further. Thank you

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
This is something i am looking to do on my AT&T HTC One. Any suggestions on ROMs? Approximately how long does it all take?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This is something i am looking to do on my AT&T HTC One. Any suggestions on ROMs? Approximately how long does it all take?

I opted to gain SOFF and flash the GPE's complete firmware, effectively converting my device to a GPE. It was great.

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I opted to gain SOFF and flash the GPE's complete firmware, effectively converting my device to a GPE. It was great.

Yeah, I'm completely new. I just learned on youTube how to root. Apparently I first have to unlock the bootloader. What is SOFF and GPE? Sorry for the newness here.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm completely new. I just learned on youTube how to root. Apparently I first have to unlock the bootloader. What is SOFF and GPE? Sorry for the newness here.

GPE = Google Play Edition; it's the version of the One that you can buy direct from the Google Play Store, and it uses stock Android software as opposed to HTC's Sense software.

S-OFF is a weird thing. HTC handles their firmware/software a bit differently; when you get the device (stock) it's shipped S-ON, meaning that you cannot "write" to a certain partition of the software (the NAND, if I recall correctly). In order to gain full control over the device, not only must you unlock and root the device, but you must achieve S-OFF so you can "write" to that partition. For example (IIRC), one cannot change the bootloader ("HBOOT") on an HTC device, in particular the One, without achieving S-OFF. In the ye old days of HTC, the only way to achieve S-OFF for some devices was to physically change something, I believe it was a matter of touching a wire to something else (I didn't have one of these devices, so pardon my ignorance). With the One, you can achieve S-OFF through certain pieces of software and loopholes. When I achieved S-OFF, it required a variety of different steps because an AT&T update closed the previous loophole. Now, I believe the process is much simpler and has been reduced to piece of software, but you may want to read up as I sold my device months ago.

I needed S-OFF for two things: to reset any sort of "tampered" flags from unlocking the bootloader and to be able to install the complete GPE firmware, including the GPE HBOOT/bootloader. Otherwise, you can flash (install) a GPE ROM. The benefits of a full conversion is that all of the software is stock and it is updated very quickly through Google/HTC, as opposed to being at the mercy of the carrier. I also had to change the CID (cell ID, if I recall correctly) so the GPE firmware/software would properly install.

While hacking the One is a lot more straightforward than most devices, it's not even close to Nexus devices. I recommend reading up on it a bit, watching YouTube videos, and asking questions if you are unclear.

Good luck.

silverpalm

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
hello guys and gals
i have a htc one m8 on ee,i was looking to s-off so i can sim unlock,can i use the uxtoolkit HTC One M8 AT&T to do so then the method to pem unlock
im not to bothered about a custom rom maybe in the future
or is there no way to s-off a one m8 on ee as i saw a thread about it the person who started it never update to say if it worked
thank you for any help

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
hello guys and gals
i have a htc one m8 on ee,i was looking to s-off so i can sim unlock,can i use the uxtoolkit HTC One M8 AT&T to do so then the method to pem unlock
im not to bothered about a custom rom maybe in the future
or is there no way to s-off a one m8 on ee as i saw a thread about it the person who started it never update to say if it worked
thank you for any help

You might want to post in the M8 section. This is for the HTC One M7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana