I am really loving GE on my DE

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I was silly enough to put the GE just two days before traveling to the UK. But, I must say "pure" Android is really nice. Sense is nice and all, but there were just some small annoying things I couldn't get past.

1. Kept getting two calendar event notifications even though I thought I disabled HTC's calendar.
2. Google Voice as my voicemail for AT&T works as it should. I could never get a notification when on Sense. Had to setup GV to send me an email whenever I got a message. No problem now.
3. And the voice message shows up in the standard Google phone app. I don't even have to pull up the GV app. Unless, of course, I want to be entertained by its voice transcription ;)
4. Speaking of the Google Phone app. This thing is really better than other dialer apps or the Sense dialer. Much better overall integration, especially with custom labels.

As to dislikes or annoyances:
1. Text app is ok. Textra is loads better than Google and about 5 other text apps I tried.
2. People app has a baby-<crap> blue on white motif which is ug-ly. Will need to find an alternate for this.

Google seriously needs a unified messaging app like iMessage. I've got to use text, Viber, Whatsapp, Tango and Skype to try to keep in touch with people. Need something that will automagically pick the right messaging app based on default contact information.

Reall enjoying the switch from iOS to Android. Was jail breaking on iOS, but hated that it was not sanctioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I am glad you're enjoying the Google Edition ROM as I did, but I decided to install TrickDroid because I like the extra tweaks, functionality and for some reason I wasn't getting good battery life with GE (weird, I know, it should be the opposite). I will go back to it eventually, but perhaps fully transform my device into a Google Edition one instead of just flashing a custom one, as in changing Model ID, CID, flashing the RUU and then receiving OTA updates whenever they come out - that's truly the beauty of S-OFF. I sure wish there was a similar client like iMessages available on Android but then again I wouldn't really go back to an iPhone just for that, there are dozens of similar to iMessages available on the PlayStore although not as good.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently on the GE rom myself. I enjoy it although I do have sense withdrawals lol. I'll be switching back and forth until the dual boot option comes out. Can't wait.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
About to flash the android revolution Google edition ROM. I will let everyone know how it goes.

HTC One - Unlocked, ARHD 12, Bulletproof Kernel, Several mods.
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
So I usually use ARHD for a sense ROM. I was on v12 before I moved to a GPE ROM. Tonight I decided to flash v12.1. After that I thought I'd give the new trickdroid sense and Google play edition Roms a try. I finished by flashing the android revolution HD or ARHDs version of the Google play edition ROM.

If you are really interested you can fully convert your one to a Google play edition so you can receive OTA updates.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
By the way, when you flash the ARHD GE ROM, you'll most likely get a "Keyboard has stopped working" error. The only way to fix that is by changing your CID to GOOGL1 or something like that. I did it and that's how I got it working.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
By the way, when you flash the ARHD GE ROM, you'll most likely get a "Keyboard has stopped working" error. The only way to fix that is by changing your CID to GOOGL1 or something like that. I did it and that's how I got it working.

Nope. Didn't run into that issue at all.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

realwilliamlees

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I will go back to it eventually, but perhaps fully transform my device into a Google Edition one instead of just flashing a custom one, as in changing Model ID, CID, flashing the RUU and then receiving OTA updates whenever they come out - that's truly the beauty of S-OFF.

Is that even possible?

Posted via Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I might go for it in the next couple of days and then I will probably switch back to Sense if Sense 5.1 or whatever is next comes out. Sense has some great features and appearance, but stock/Google can be modified to look even better, not to mention the performance difference. I only removed ARHD GE because for some reason my battery was terrible on it, probably a bad flash or something.

realwilliamlees

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I might go for it in the next couple of days and then I will probably switch back to Sense if Sense 5.1 or whatever is next comes out. Sense has some great features and appearance, but stock/Google can be modified to look even better, not to mention the performance difference. I only removed ARHD GE because for some reason my battery was terrible on it, probably a bad flash or something.

Let me know how you get on as I'm extremely interested in doing it myself.

I'm just not a big fan of Sense for a number of reasons.

Posted via Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I'll update this thread about the difficulty of the process (I am sure it's easy, I've done similar things a hundred times lol) and also my experience with it so far.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I fully converted my DE to a GPe yesterday using the RUU.zip file and everything is running well. I am going to let it settle in for a few days and likely give SinLess GE ROM a roll as well. One I hear about 4.3 I can restore back to stock GPe either by RUU again or simply restore my backup to GPe and flash the stock recovery and be unrooted get the OTA then re-root.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I fully converted my DE to a GPe yesterday using the RUU.zip file and everything is running well. I am going to let it settle in for a few days and likely give SinLess GE ROM a roll as well. One I hear about 4.3 I can restore back to stock GPe either by RUU again or simply restore my backup to GPe and flash the stock recovery and be unrooted get the OTA then re-root.

Is it ok for me to chuckle when I read your post? Read it out loud. Just a few months ago, I would have been totally lost at what you just said, having come from every iPhone minus the first. Now, I totally understand it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I see what you mean, too many acronyms for the un-initiated iPhone user, LOL. I actually converted back to InsertCoin ROM then opted to go back to GPe RUU again. Actually the second time around I am liking it even more. Added the SnapDragon Battery Guru to see what it can do for me since we don't have BatterySaver on the GPe.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I see what you mean, too many acronyms for the un-initiated iPhone user, LOL. I actually converted back to InsertCoin ROM then opted to go back to GPe RUU again. Actually the second time around I am liking it even more. Added the SnapDragon Battery Guru to see what it can do for me since we don't have BatterySaver on the GPe.

SnapDragon Batterey Guru worked ok for me when I was on Sense. Comletely forgot about it after GPe.Will have to see how it does.

Really looking forward to 4.3. Bluetooth in my car is still crap at 4.2.2. Controls from my head unit work once every connect. That is, I can do 1 skip fwd or back and then never again until I reconnect. The best I can get is streaming, but have to control from my phone.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Did anybody try 4.3 yet? I installed it last night and I must say I am impressed with it. Not only does everything look better, but it also performs much smoother than 4.2. Don't get me wrong, GPE 4.2 is great, but 4.3 adds some much needed features and also looks great. The only thing that I am upset with at the moment is that Bulletproof kernel doesn't work on 4.3 yet, and I miss all the features it gave me like Sweep2Wake, HTCLogo2Menu and others, and of course not to mention huge battery and performance gains.

I used TWRP to restore from this: [Dump/Backup] 4.3 Google Edition for both TWRP/CWM + Radio - xda-developers
You could also use CWM to either restore or install as a ZIP.

If you're running a stock 4.2 GPE, you can apply this OTA update: [OTA]Google Edition 4.3 OTA available! - xda-developers
Instructions on how to do so and requirements are in the second page.

If you just want to install it the regular custom ROM route (flashing through any recovery), use this: [ROM] [AUG 3] [ANDROID 4.3] 3.06.1700.10 - Stock HTC Google Play Edition v1.1 - xda-developers

From the comments I've read, though, the last way didn't work for everyone and ended up giving them installation errors.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Did anybody try 4.3 yet? I installed it last night and I must say I am impressed with it. Not only does everything look better, but it also performs much smoother than 4.2. Don't get me wrong, GPE 4.2 is great, but 4.3 adds some much needed features and also looks great. The only thing that I am upset with at the moment is that Bulletproof kernel doesn't work on 4.3 yet, and I miss all the features it gave me like Sweep2Wake, HTCLogo2Menu and others, and of course not to mention huge battery and performance gains.

I used TWRP to restore from this: [Dump/Backup] 4.3 Google Edition for both TWRP/CWM + Radio - xda-developers
You could also use CWM to either restore or install as a ZIP.

If you're running a stock 4.2 GPE, you can apply this OTA update: [OTA]Google Edition 4.3 OTA available! - xda-developers
Instructions on how to do so and requirements are in the second page.

If you just want to install it the regular custom ROM route (flashing through any recovery), use this: [ROM] [AUG 3] [ANDROID 4.3] 3.06.1700.10 - Stock HTC Google Play Edition v1.1 - xda-developers

From the comments I've read, though, the last way didn't work for everyone and ended up giving them installation errors.

Wonderful to see all the links, Tarek. Thanks for that. I am looking forward to trying it out. Curious what the "+ Radio" means. I'm doing the ROM route, but may consider full conversion do GPe.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I did the full conversion several weeks ago and it's awesome! I updated to 4.3 last night and it's perfect. Sense is really nice on this phone but the Google edition is damn near perfection!

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallory Knocks