My two cents...

elysenator

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had the One X since Friday, so I just wanted to share my observations so far. (I apologize if this seems pieced together...I've been typing this up as I remember things.)

I'm replacing my Vivid with this, so the first thing I noticed was how much lighter and thinner it is. Love it! Being that I'm a klutz, I'm very pleased that there isn't a metal backing to pop off and for me to bend up when I drop the damn thing haha (however, I'm terrified that I can't just go to the store and buy a case for this yet.)

The keyboard is much more accurate and responsive than the other HTC phones I've had...and the suggestions and corrections are lightyears better. I haven't even used SwiftKey yet! Usually I can't help but to install it immediately.

The battery life could improve, but it's no worse than the Vivid. The screen is a battery hog, but to me it's worth it. The display is beautiful, and much easier to see outside. The automatic brightness setting is far more responsive. Not to mention, I keep a charger almost everywhere I am throughout the day so I'm able to deal with less than stellar battery life if need be.

I'm sure everyone has read all of the specs and are familiar with what's under the hood by now. Do I really need to list it all out? Anyway, I've always been a fan of Sense for the most part, so I approve of 4.0. Definitely some organizational and aesthetic improvements. I was also using ICS on the Vivid, so nothing has been crazy difficult to get used to on that front either.This is also much faster than the Vivid in every way. (I'd be concerned if it wasn't.) Some of my apps are buggy now, but I expected that being that the phone isn't even available in the US yet. Hopefully they will catch up soon.

The only things that have been a little annoying thus far is that there is no menu button on the phone itself. It is now part of the display. Any app that is completely compatible with this phone has the menu button up in the right hand corner...if the app is not completely compatible, you see a bar across the bottom of the screen with a menu button in the center. (which obviously takes up precious real estate.) I'm also having a hard time getting used to the "app toggle" dedicated button. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I'm just used to having 4 dedicated choices and none of them being for the purpose of jumping to another app or to see what's running.

The font size for text messages is huge even if you have it set to small. Makes me feel old. Large print isn't necessary for me quite yet. Ha

Another minor issue is that being this is a 4.7" screen, trying to use my phone with one hand is far more of a pain than I would have anticipated. I have a hard time reaching over to the "back" button with my thumb. My hands are too small, so I suppose that's no one's problem but my own, but noteworthy nonetheless for any other small handed ladies out there like myself. :)

I haven't extensively used the camera yet, but I do find it awfully neat that you can take pictures while recording video. The affects that are offered are super cool as well...very instagram-esque if you will. (More variety though.) I've also noticed less lag time. It focuses quick so you can take more pics in succession.

I also wanted to mention that I did get free Dropbox space. 23gb. You have to go through some steps (take their tutorial, make a shared folder, etc) but you definitely get it. I've seen some blurbs about people not being sure if it's included...so now you know! However, the space is available for 2 years.

Ugh. Sorry. This is the worst "review" ever...but I definitely think that anyone who would be upgrading from the Vivid would be very pleased. Let me know if you have an Qs...maybe it will jog my memory and I can provide some more insight. (it's been a long day.)

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess you bought the phone before playing with a demo at the ATT store? You say you have small hands and a 4.7" screen is pretty massive.. In fact only about a half inch smaller than the G Note, LOL. Otherwise, it seems you like the phone. As a long time iPhone user it appears to be the best thing out there and as we all know, ATT's network is pretty much the only one with simultaneous voice/data too.. Thanks for your 'two cents' !! :cool:

elysenator

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
yeah i didn't get a chance to mess with a demo unit first. this was sent to me last Friday so i could take it for a test drive. AT&T doesn't start selling it until Sunday, so i don't know if they even have the demo units out on the floor yet. ah well, my small hands is a small price to pay! hahaha

elysenator

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually having trouble receiving text messages as well. I've never had any issues with the Vivid. I wonder if this model or just mine is having connectivity issues to the network. It doesn't look that way, but who knows. It doesn't happen every time, but I'd say at least half of the time. Not only do I not hear a notification, there isn't a visual notification either (...and yes my notifications are set up correctly...this ain't my first rodeo!) It's only once I actually go into messages that I can see that people have texted me. My husband and family think I ignore them all the time. It's great haha

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I sent an email to HTC support about the font size in text messages its very annoying. Sometimes it decides to be small but most of the time its huge :( even when its set to small...

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
so it seems outside of the text size on messages and a large screen you really like the phone have you noticed anything else and are the majority of the apps compatible with 4.0 now i sold my gnex when after months of having it the apps were still not compatible? example (navigon, hulu plus etc) can anyone elaborate thanks?

jvee_

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I also reported the annoying text size to HTC through their support page and first thing they asked me to do is to soft reset the phone by removing the battery! :D

What I do for now to make it smaller than the default small size is to pinch zoom out.

mysidx

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Are these text issues coming from the U.S. Att version? I will be getting mine today and that sounds very annoying. I will be using this phone for work a lot as well, so I don't like the part about missing calls and email notifications.....

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes the text bug is crazy....I have tried several times to adjust it...and it seems to always revert back...makes viewing text messages very akward. Other than that I am totally in love with this phone!!

elysenator

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not missing any calls or emails at least...just texts. Like I said, I'm not sure if it's just my particular phone (i got mine during the last week of April from the HTC corporate office) or a network issue in my area. Hopefully a software update will be pushed out soon to address these issues.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
In twenty minutes, I'm off to the AT&T shop! I do hope the font size issue and receiving text issue is NOT on the AT&T version.

Albeit, I hope you get it resolved soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
@naviwilliams...yes we are talking about the ATT version. Just received it yesterday...the text issue as well as the font size issue is present on my phone.

elysenator

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I do have the AT&T version. It's possible that the phone you get will have a different software version than mine though. You never know.

Yes, I have the brightness set on auto. It's great outside. So much better than previous HTC phones.

By the way, I went to the AT&T store nearest to me yesterday and sweet talked them in to selling me a case haha. Slim pickins for sure. They had the HTC ones you keep seeing everywhere (the slats) and they have Speck ones. Best bet is to order online if you want something more than that. Hell, you could order online, request overnight shipping and still pay less than buying one from AT&T! Haha

jvee_

May 6, 2012
Visit site
One more thing I noticed is when I'm on the lock screen (no PIN, pattern, etc) I can still pull the notification down. I can't do that on my Incredible S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress