Disable Text-to-Speech??

ginajolie

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone know how to turn OFF the text to speech on the HTC One X? I have looked in all areas I can think of (accessibility, settings, etc.), but the phone continues to read my emails out loud and also reads aloud the webpages I am looking at. I want it to stop! :)

Thanks in advance,
Gina :D

CaptainOne

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app you may have downloaded to do this? I went through the phone settings and the only one that looked like it would do what you are describing is the Talk-Balk under accessibility. But that just speaks all of the menu items and actions you click. It does not read emails or web sites.

Reactions: ginajolie

ginajolie

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying, Captain One. I have looked at EVERY program on the phone and I cannot find anything. I even took off my "Siri" like program, Skyvi, thinking that that was the culprit. I just got my phone all set up like I want it and I don't want to have to do a factory reset. :( For now I went into the Apps section of the Settings and disabled the Google Text-to-Speech function. Grrrrr.... I have not idea what it is.

luki1412

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

I want to say, that I had the similiar problem: talkback disabled, no tts app and still browser talking about every page! Very annoying! Then I found that I enabled one setting and I wasn't certainly sure what is it for... That was the problem>

settings>accessibility>installation of web scripts

I disabled it and now it works without this very annoying voice

I wrote here just because, someone might have similiar problem so this can be solution.

Reactions: berq

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Just figured it out myself - very annoying!

I'm running ICS and found it under System Settings | Language and input | Speech | Text-to-speech output and turned off "Driving Mode".

Hope that helps.

Reactions: John3710

Paz

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
settings > accessibility > installation of webscripts (turn it off) worked for me. thanks! this was extremely annoying. however it did make me feel very fortunate that im not blind. i started to wonder how usable this was for the visually impaired. not very useful i think.

Angel Cruz1

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Great going... Thanks.. Just an update for Galaxy Note 2 users if this happens. It's Setting, then Accessibility, then Enhance web Accessibility this sure be put on "do not allow"
This will stop the text to speech in your emails.
Great option when driving though... can just listen to email.
but thank you for getting this taken care of...

navonils

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
settings > accessibility > installation of webscripts (turn it off) worked for me. thanks! this was extremely annoying. however it did make me feel very fortunate that im not blind. i started to wonder how usable this was for the visually impaired. not very useful i think.

Thanks bro..!! the information is very helpful.

Sabra Alexander

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me! Thanks you so much. I had enabled the web scripts to be able to install another app. It was so annoying to have everything read out loud! And when I would tap a button to make a choice, it would say "button" and I had to tap it several times to get it to register. I will never use text-to-voice again!

sslogic.dm

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Web scripts is so annoying, with ics if your using chrome Web after its disabled (Web scripts) you gave to go onto manage applications and go to running and
Stop chrome and text to speach, or restart for the Web scrips to be disabled on chrome, and i'm assuming anything else that has linked to that service that is still
Running.

Kanne91

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Ive been trying to sort this out for the last 72 hours - nearly drove me to a break down. everything I touched web wise kept notifying the whole of the UK what I was doing. HTC One its web scripts. Thanking you :)

montrealOUTdoor

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC ONE and i spent 24 hrs going bananas with the TALK BACK option..

it was reading my emails, talking after each message was sent and most importatnly reading all the wqebsites i was visiting.

IT WAS A NIGHTMARE..

i did everything everyone did and nothing soolved my issue.

I went Setting/Accesibility/back/TalkBack and it was OFF yes the b...tch was still talking

I decided to enabled and disabled again..

and VOILA, it solved my issue.... somehow the setting said it was off but was still working..

I just had to reset it i guess...

Michi Risang

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
hey please help me on this...i turn on the talking voice but i dnt knw how to turn off again....and when i lock it cant unlock again ..whenever i try to unlock it says something about time ang volume...please help me

anniekitson

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

it was reading my emails, talking after each message was sent and most importatnly reading all the wqebsites i was visiting.

IT WAS A NIGHTMARE..

I went Setting/Accesibility/back/TalkBack and it was OFF yes the b...tch was still talking

and VOILA, it solved my issue.... somehow the setting said it was off but was still working..

anniekitson

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

IT WAS A NIGHTMARE..

I had exactly the same problem with a Samsung tab3 P5210, did as described above, turned Talk Back on even tho it said it was off then off and the annoying lady disappeared.

Tony Lawlor

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi
It is in language and input,,,, settings/////language and input///// enhanced web settings/// turn this off//// no more annoying text to speech.... Yaaaa .......

Hem Sai Avinash

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I want to say, that I had the similiar problem: talkback disabled, no tts app and still browser talking about every page! Very annoying! Then I found that I enabled one setting and I wasn't certainly sure what is it for... That was the problem>

settings>accessibility>installation of web scripts

I disabled it and now it works without this very annoying voice

I wrote here just because, someone might have similiar problem so this can be solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress