Would a Samsung S8 be a good trade for a Mate 9 even trade?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So I've got a fully unlocked Samsung S8 regular size that I'm actually thinking of listing for an even trade for a like new Mate 9. Would this be a fair trade or would I be selling myself short on cash my way? My S8 is less than two weeks old. Would I be better off selling it outright and then buying a Mate 9 instead? Has anyone used both of these phones or have experience with both devices? I am not even sure what type of value my new S8 has compared to a new Mate 9. Can anyone throw out some suggestions or feedback to me in which direction I should take? I know the Mate 9 is going to be larger than my S8 which to me is the biggest difference. I also see where I can get a Mate 9 for $435 from Amazon warehouse with original packaging. Does anyone know what my S8 is worth? It's the Arctic Silver regular size S8 that comes complete with all contents. How much is my S8 worth and or how much should I list it for. Anyways I thought about listing it as a direct trade but the more I think of it the more I think I should possibly just outright sell it. Can anyone help me with the price point of my S8 and then the price point of a used Mate 9? Thanks for any help and also for those who use the Mate 9 daily please give me your thoughts on the new it. Thanks a bunch!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It'd be a good trade if you were getting the S8, not the other way around though. S8 it's just hands down the better device in every way except for battery size. Which makes sense, it's a full season newer and a flagship, whereas the Mate 9 was somewhere at the high end of the mid-ranger devices (low res large phone with large battery, similar in thought to the Moto Z Play, etc).

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
It'd be a good trade if you were getting the S8, not the other way around though. S8 it's just hands down the better device in every way except for battery size. Which makes sense, it's a full season newer and a flagship, whereas the Mate 9 was somewhere at the high end of the mid-ranger devices (low res large phone with large battery, similar in thought to the Moto Z Play, etc).
Thanks for the advice! So what would my fully unlocked and carrier branding free regular size S8 be worth do you think? I'm highly interested in getting the mate 9 now and thinking about selling my S8 but have no clue to what it's value would be. Any ideas roughly?

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Performance wise the Mate 9 is still faster than the S8. Interface on the Mate 9 is smooth like butter while kind of janky in the S8.

The camera is slightly better on the S8 when left on auto.

1440p vs 1080p

glass/curves vs aluminum

Honestly you can probably sell your S8 for 600 or so and pick up a new like new mate 9 for 500 or so.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Sell the S8 then get a mint mate 9 for 350 to 400 on Swappa and pocket the rest.

The mate 9 is a better phone if you like long batter life and big screen.

It's also got great cameras that are only outdone by the S8 in extreme low level like and even then only in auto.

The Kirin 960 is actually faster than the 835 in various ways as well.

One thing you'll notice is that Samsung phones tend to get janked up after a year or so and grind to a slow, batterylife crippling crawl. The mate 9 does no such thing.

The mate 9s emui is an aquired taste tho. Many people can't get past it but if you don't spend a lot of time in the settings menu you should be fine just installing Nova launcher and calling it a day.

I don't miss any other phone since getting my mate 9, and have had them all. I will say I keep a G6 in deck just for the wide angle lens, but that's the only reason why.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Why would someone want the Mate 9 over the S8?
The Huawei is a capable phone but is it better?
I for one definitely want the Mate 9 over the S8 as I personally used an honor 8 for a long time and fell for EMUI stock. No launchers. This is why I'm thinking of selling my S8 to get the Mate. The S8 is indeed a power House but I've been wanting the mate 9 for quite a while now. I just happened to get such a good deal on the S8 that I could not pass it up. Plus my S8 is carrier branded free and fully unlocked was and on top of that it's in arctic silver which you can't get this color combo direct from Samsung like this. I plan on selling my S8 and grabbing the mate and running with it. I wanted the p10 but there isn't a US version of it. The mate 9 although pretty large is as close as you can get though.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have M9 and S8+. The things that I personally found good/bad between the two: Wireless Charging on S8+, WiFi calling on S8+. I found the cameras to be almost equal. Battery (as everyone has said) amazing on M9. My huawei watch works perfectly on both.

BUT I'd sell the S8 and buy the Mate 9, You'll be able to sell it for more than you can buy Mate.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I have M9 and S8+. The things that I personally found good/bad between the two: Wireless Charging on S8+, WiFi calling on S8+. I found the cameras to be almost equal. Battery (as everyone has said) amazing on M9. My huawei watch works perfectly on both.

BUT I'd sell the S8 and buy the Mate 9, You'll be able to sell it for more than you can buy Mate.

This, I absolutely agree on all points.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice! So what would my fully unlocked and carrier branding free regular size S8 be worth do you think? I'm highly interested in getting the mate 9 now and thinking about selling my S8 but have no clue to what it's value would be. Any ideas roughly?
I would say $550-580 if you have the Samsung factory sim unlocked model based in recent Swappa sales. The two low ones are excluded because one has no accessories and one has no box.

You can take that money and buy a mate 9 on Swappa in Good condition for around$400

8f299b4753ffa168babf27f9e877ab83.png

If it is not factory sim unlocked then pricing could be different as say you got a T-Mobile s8 and unlocked it either through T-Mobile or through flashing... you would not be able to activate it through Verizon's or Sprint's activation system as the IMEI isn't in the database. Of course this depends on the buyer but normally, such a disclosure would reduce price, if applicable in this case.

Also, if the s8 is on a device payment plan then that would need to be paid off before selling on Swappa.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I for one definitely want the Mate 9 over the S8 as I personally used an honor 8 for a long time and fell for EMUI stock. No launchers. This is why I'm thinking of selling my S8 to get the Mate. The S8 is indeed a power House but I've been wanting the mate 9 for quite a while now. I just happened to get such a good deal on the S8 that I could not pass it up. Plus my S8 is carrier branded free and fully unlocked was and on top of that it's in arctic silver which you can't get this color combo direct from Samsung like this. I plan on selling my S8 and grabbing the mate and running with it. I wanted the p10 but there isn't a US version of it. The mate 9 although pretty large is as close as you can get though.

Sounds like the mate 9 is a good fit for your needs, since you like emui. Though i would think carefully as you could end up losing money if you buy the mate 9 and decide to sell it soon

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I prefer the Mate 9 over the S8 even though the S8 is a better phone. It's not a fair trade. I have both and I use the Mate 9, the S8 Plus is my GPS and my car media player.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Two weeks ago, I sold my Mate 9 and bought an S8+. So I did the opposite.

First, no, it's not a fair trade. The S8 is currently worth more than the Mate 9.

The Mate 9 is a great phone. You can't beat the fingerprint sensor. So fast. The camera is excellent. I am not finding enough of a specs difference between the two phones to warrant picking one over the other. It's more in the subtleties.

SCREEN: S8+ wins
Mate 9's 16:9 screen format is the typical format which is 100% compatible with apps, pictures, and movies. It's just HD IPS at 1080x1920 and that's really okay on a smartphones. As long as you aren't comparing, you really don't notice a whole lot.

HOWEVER - the Samsung has AMOLED and its deep blacks, high pixel density. Significantly higher resolution just make for a beautiful display. I was fine with the Mate but the S8 is striking.

CAMERA
From my amateur perspectove, I think they are an even match. The Mate 9 had a lot more camera features. The actual images look close to the the same. The Mate 9 camera is faster.

SOFTWARE
EMUI? I used it for about 10 minures then switched to Action Launcher. I also ran into a few weird quirks on the Mate 9 with apps I used regularly (e.g. MightyText). I'm not seeing them on the wiidly popular S8.

My main reason for getting the S8+: I wanted to go back to using a mainstream phone and had my eye on the S8+. I change phones yearly. I had a 6P then the Mate 9.

It's not outrageous to want the Mate 9 over the S8. However, it is NOT an even trade. Check Swappa and eBay for an idea of what the S8 is really worth.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Well said PaulQ. I had the Mate 9 and now have the S8+. I actually just picked up another used Mate 9 off of Swappa today - mostly because I'm a phone junky. Both phones are great but I'd have to give the overall edge to the S8+ overall though. If you can afford both, buy a nice used one off of Swappa, play with both for a week or so and decide for yourself. Then sell the "loser."

csetoue

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Two weeks ago, I sold my Mate 9 and bought an S8+. So I did the opposite.

First, no, it's not a fair trade. The S8 is currently worth more than the Mate 9.

The Mate 9 is a great phone. You can't beat the fingerprint sensor. So fast. The camera is excellent. I am not finding enough of a specs difference between the two phones to warrant picking one over the other. It's more in the subtleties.

SCREEN: S8+ wins
Mate 9's 16:9 screen format is the typical format which is 100% compatible with apps, pictures, and movies. It's just HD IPS at 1080x1920 and that's really okay on a smartphones. As long as you aren't comparing, you really don't notice a whole lot.

HOWEVER - the Samsung has AMOLED and its deep blacks, high pixel density. Significantly higher resolution just make for a beautiful display. I was fine with the Mate but the S8 is striking.

CAMERA
From my amateur perspectove, I think they are an even match. The Mate 9 had a lot more camera features. The actual images look close to the the same. The Mate 9 camera is faster.

SOFTWARE
EMUI? I used it for about 10 minures then switched to Action Launcher. I also ran into a few weird quirks on the Mate 9 with apps I used regularly (e.g. MightyText). I'm not seeing them on the wiidly popular S8.

My main reason for getting the S8+: I wanted to go back to using a mainstream phone and had my eye on the S8+. I change phones yearly. I had a 6P then the Mate 9.

It's not outrageous to want the Mate 9 over the S8. However, it is NOT an even trade. Check Swappa and eBay for an idea of what the S8 is really worth.
In comparison, how are them about loudspeaker performance and cell signal reception?

Thanks!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
In comparison, how are them about loudspeaker performance and cell signal reception?

Thanks!

Good question. I completely forgot about the speakers and there's a big difference.

The Mate 9's speakers (external sound) BLOWS AWAY the 8+. The sound on the Mate 9 is incredible with its two front facing speakers and dynamic use of the speakers. The S8+ has one speaker at the bottom and it's okay.

Speakerphone... fantastic on the Mate 9 too.

Connectivity.... no noticeable difference.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Good question. I completely forgot about the speakers and there's a big difference.

The Mate 9's speakers (external sound) BLOWS AWAY the 8+. The sound on the Mate 9 is incredible with its two front facing speakers and dynamic use of the speakers. The S8+ has one speaker at the bottom and it's okay.

Speakerphone... fantastic on the Mate 9 too.

Connectivity.... no noticeable difference.

Have you had the zte Axon 7? If so how are the speakers compared to the Mate 9?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you had the zte Axon 7? If so how are the speakers compared to the Mate 9?

No I haven't.

I'll say this, of the more recent phones I have owned...

LG G3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 9

And a handful of Galaxy Tabs...

The Mate's speakers are the clear winner. Hands down, no question. It was like a mini boom box.

(I feel like I'm missing a phone in there....it's all a blur!... must have been something else before the 6P)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non