Going to iPhone6?

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Just like there is a difference from surviving a 10 second dip and being submerged for half an hour.

That's correct, lol. But I don't think the video was meant to prove that is was waterproof, or that being waterproof has no advantage. It was more to back up what Chetan was saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

That chart in an of itself is a REALLY terrible way to persuade someone the iPhone 6 is behind. All I can see if that the iPhone 6 is 1% slower than the Xperia Z1, and at least 1% slower than 13 other phones. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to bet most users do not care and could not tell the difference a couple percentage points make in a synthetic benchmark. If you want to show that it's slower than the rest compare position #17 with position #1.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
, but I'm willing to bet most users do not care and could not tell the difference a couple percentage points make in a synthetic benchmark.

It's not even that... Benchmarks are a horrible way to compare different phones. I see them really as a useful tool when you're fussing with things and need something to gauge their impact...say screwing around with kernels. And their usefulness gets even less when you compare across platforms.

I'm by no means an Apple fan, but the iPhone 6 is going to be a pretty good performer and people aren't going to have reason to complain.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Had a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 for the last couple of years...Samsung forcing Knox on me was the last straw, no more CleanROM, which makes me sad. If I had stayed with Android, it would have been the New Moto X for me. But I decided to go with the iPhone 6, now that the display is bigger, third-party keyboards are available, etc. Got it a few days ago (after waiting 2 weeks *smile*), and my first impressions are that my battle to tame Android's idle battery usage are over. The iPhone used about 4% of battery over about 10 hours of idle time today, which is about .4% per hour, definitely good enough for me. The radios seem better than the ones on the Samsung, and the phone feels much faster and I like the fact that Apple doesn't push all the Verizon bloat at you. You can add it if you want, but it doesn't come on the phone as non-removable apps (unless you root your Android phone). I can use the display outside, where the Samsung AMOLED display was almost useless outside, even with automatic brightness on. Really a nice piece of hardware, and I like iOS since it is designed as a mobile OS...Android strikes me as not designed that way, although it should be, and there's all the Google framework stuff, play services, play store, and all, pretty much running all the time that you pay for the overhead of whether you're using it or not. Yes, you can root your Android phone, and do all sorts of intricate setting changes to limit google services, but that really wasn't fun, or effective over a period of time. I also like the fact that I'm not burning a lot of battery to push around a lot more pixels on the display than my eye can discern (the LG G3 comes to mind *smile*). The iPhone "retina" display is strikingly attractive, yet not overly populated with pixels *smile*.

Only a couple of negatives. One, the phone is very thin, which feels weird in my hand. I'll get used to that, though, I suppose. There has been a glitch or two with iOS 8, but 8.0.2 is out now, which is more stable. And Android had its share of problems, as I recall *smile*. I'm currently finding wifi running at somewhat less than half speed of all my other wireless clients on the iPhone 6, but that's still fast enough here at home not to notice the difference. Unless I run an internet speed test.

I have to say, I'm happy with my choice. I'm spending a lot more time just enjoying using the phone than I did with Android, largely because of the continuing battles with bloat and idle battery usage. Ask me again in a year, but so far things are going very well, and I'm very happy with the iPhone 6. I didn't get the iPhone 6+, although I considered it. I made a cardboard cutout the size of the phone and checked it out in my pockets, since I like to have my phone in my pants or shirt pocket. That oversize phone, although appealing to use and look at, especially with the bigger battery, it just wasn't natural to carry around for me. The iPhone 6 is plenty big enough for me, similar size to the Samsung Galaxy S3, although slightly smaller than the S5, I think.

Last edited:

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Glad you like it. I'd comment that the reason you fret about Play services is that Android actually let's the user look under the hood. Lots and lots of posts appear on android forums complaining that google play services is the largest battery drain "Ive lost 6% in 10 hours and google play services is showing 87% app use". Fact is, Play services is a core app. It should be top of the list tbh. Much like IPhone users saying how good the " usage" figure is in the battery stats, yet not being able to see SOT. Which makes the figure pointless.

And I phones have bloat. Android bloat you can disable, iPhone bloat, not so much.

Finally, going from a phone 3 generations older to a new iPhone is obviously going to be a leap. I'd argue you should be amazed, rather than just pleased overall,

I sound like a fanboy don't I? :eek: but I'm curious of the confirmation bias people are having in the leap to the new iPhone. I know coming from my M7, I'd be a few shades of "Meh"!

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Glad you like it. I'd comment that the reason you fret about Play services is that Android actually let's the user look under the hood. Lots and lots of posts appear on android forums complaining that google play services is the largest battery drain "Ive lost 6% in 10 hours and google play services is showing 87% app use". Fact is, Play services is a core app. It should be top of the list tbh. Much like IPhone users saying how good the " usage" figure is in the battery stats, yet not being able to see SOT. Which makes the figure pointless.

And I phones have bloat. Android bloat you can disable, iPhone bloat, not so much.

Finally, going from a phone 3 generations older to a new iPhone is obviously going to be a leap. I'd argue you should be amazed, rather than just pleased overall,

I sound like a fanboy don't I? :eek: but I'm curious of the confirmation bias people are having in the leap to the new iPhone. I know coming from my M7, I'd be a few shades of "Meh"!

I've just ordered a 6. I'll be coming from my M7. A lot of it will be "meh". The dimensions are practically the same. Screen size too. I'll be downgrading in PPI, although slightly upgrading in screen quality. I'll be downgrading in RAM, although each OS manages that differently. Battery should be a bit better, hopefully. General device fluidity should be better. And I don't mind iOS. The camera should a big improvement. And I'm one of the people was impressed buy the One's camera. Overall, I think it will be worth my money, but not the big change like the Plus would've been for me.

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'd go back to the IPhone if apple wasn't so damn stubborn about locking it down and charging you heavily for it. Its a beautifully constructed device and it has a marvellous synergy with its OS. Im one of the few who like Apples push for thinness although again its ridiculous bezels spoil that.

If only HTC had that extra "polish" in engineering and refinement that Apple have.

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
And the point of the multitask test with respect to the Iphone 6 is what exactly?

Android is true multi-tasking against the IOS "app freeze" so whilst the Iphone is doing one task at a time, the Androids are running the others in the background.
Also, the Android(s) are pushing 1080p vs the 720p of the iphone and finally, the androids are 32bit vs the 64 bit iphone.
The iphone is also some 6 months newer (not inconsiderable in todays fast track development)

for the extra €150-€200 bucks the iphone cost and the bits above, it should have steamed the Htc. As it is, 10-15 seconds quicker is quite the anti-climax isn't it?

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
And the point of the multitask test with respect to the Iphone 6 is what exactly?

Android is true multi-tasking against the IOS "app freeze" so whilst the Iphone is doing one task at a time, the Androids are running the others in the background.
Also, the Android(s) are pushing 1080p vs the 720p of the iphone and finally, the androids are 32bit vs the 64 bit iphone.
The iphone is also some 6 months newer (not inconsiderable in todays fast track development)

for the extra €150-€200 bucks the iphone cost and the bits above, it should have steamed the Htc. As it is, 10-15 seconds quicker is quite the anti-climax isn't it?

Aaaaaand? Who cares about HOW it multitasks, if it's able to get back on the app faster anyway? And again, who cares about the specs? If one phone is faster, it's faster. Obviously there will be a reason, but I doubt you'd be worrying about that while you use the phone.

Sure, the iPhone is newer than those two. Just like the next gen of those two will be newer than the iPhone. You can't use that as an excuse for why it's not a valid comparison, or many comparisons would then be invalid.

Finally, as the guy said, performance isn't the only reason to choose a phone. That's not (or shouldn't be) the only thing you're putting your money towards. There is more than one reason why you might find one of the Android phones more valuable than the iPhone. Anyhow, I'm impressed by how well the iPhone did. The M8 was also great. The S5 though...

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Aaaaaand? Who cares about HOW it multitasks,

Its the whole point of the test we are commenting on :-\

if it's able to get back on the app faster anyway?

Um, because as i said, it isn't multi-tasking :-\

And again, who cares about the specs? If one phone is faster, it's faster. Obviously there will be a reason, but I doubt you'd be worrying about that while you use the phone.

Nobody cares about specs unless we are comparing two objects with different specs at which point one has to care about them. these 3 objects have different specs thus they a valid part of a discussion surely? :-\

Sure, the iPhone is newer than those two. Just like the next gen of those two will be newer than the iPhone. You can't use that as an excuse for why it's not a valid comparison, or many comparisons would then be invalid.
Wut?

Finally, as the guy said, performance isn't the only reason to choose a phone. That's not (or shouldn't be) the only thing you're putting your money towards.

Hence the comment regarding value :-\

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Its the whole point of the test we are commenting on :-\

Um, because as i said, it isn't multi-tasking :-\

Nobody cares about specs unless we are comparing two objects with different specs at which point one has to care about them. these 3 objects have different specs thus they a valid part of a discussion surely? :-\

Wut?

Hence the comment regarding value :-\

My comments about the specs were in response to your question - why do a multitasking comparison?

My point is, why not? You seemed to explain why the iPhone is faster. Like is said, does it matter if it's not using Android's multitasking method? It's still faster, and therefore is see little reason to use any other way. App switiching and multitasking are words often used interchangeably and/or incorrectly. The app switching is what is being compared here, and the iPhone is actually faster, apparently.

As far as value, you said that the iPhone should be even faster in comparison to the One, just because it costs more. I don't see why. The iPhone is overpriced (IMO), but speed and performance isn't the only thing it offers over the One, and isn't the only thing that is meant to justify a higher price point.

Sent by Tom using Tapatalk 4 on my HTC One

Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

You don't even know iOS that well. IOS 7 does multitask in the backround.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruno1099