PSA: "Bluegate" is contagious (iPhone X)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For all the Apple fans who have been gracious enough to come in and advise us that we should never accept or even consider buying a phone at a price as high as $849 having a screen that tints blue at an angle....

Forbes review of iPhone X: "I have to say, though, the color changes notably when you angle the phone away from you. A bluish tinge is strongly evident. "

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: PSA: "Bluegate" is contagious...

For all the Apple fans who have been gracious enough to come in and advise us that we should never accept or even consider buying a phone at a price as high as $849 having a screen that tints blue at an angle....

Forbes review of iPhone X: "I have to say, though, the color changes notably when you angle the phone away from you. A bluish tinge is strongly evident. "

I seriously don't get how people see this as a new phenomenon. Most reviews I've read on past phones had a section in the display part of the review talking about viewing angles and any color shift they experienced.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to oled😋

I still use a 2012 MacBook air the screen is so bad it's blinding me...just wish it would die so I could get a Chromebook...

These phone screens are beautiful in comparison.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Oh good. ANOTHER screen thread ..

It's the AMOUNT of tint that people point to folks, and I think everyone knows it. It differs from unit to unit on the 2 XLs so what one person sees may not be the same as the others. Mine tints A LOT. It's fine from straight on, so I don't mind it, but lets not conflate normal OLED off axis viewing with the AMOUNT of tinting that SOME of the 2 XLs are seeing (not all, pitchforks down). /end rant

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

It's the AMOUNT of tint that people point to folks, and I think everyone knows it. It differs from unit to unit on the 2 XLs so what one person sees may not be the same as the others. Mine tints A LOT. It's fine from straight on, so I don't mind it, but lets not conflate normal OLED off axis viewing with the AMOUNT of tinting that SOME of the 2 XLs are seeing (not all, pitchforks down). /end rant

IDK if you read the OP or not but.....this thread is about the iPhone X....

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I seriously don't get how people see this as a new phenomenon. Most reviews I've read on past phones had a section in the display part of the review talking about viewing angles and any color shift they experienced.

This is an Android fan issue regarding color shifting with OLEDs. Haha the author of the article even stated that the shift in color results from such a razor sharp panel at 438ppi. Doesn't the Pixel²XL have 538ppi? But iPhone fans will swear that the screen isn't great unless it shifts color while cheap Android fans will swear you should have 2030 technology in a 2017 phone mostly because Android fans are cheap. I kinda wish the Pixel²XL would have Sapphire glass on their camera lens just so they could charge 1000.00 like the iPhone and keep the cheap skates away from the phone. LMAO!

This damn phone is nearly perfect TBH. I'm not gonna even give commentary on the blue shift because I think the issue is a stupid non issue... Are the colors muted or accurate? IMHO, they're spot on. So much more to say about this device, but I think I'm going to stop eating time writing in chat rooms and enjoy this slice of Heaven in my hand... Haha!

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

This is an Android fan issue regarding color shifting with OLEDs. Haha the author of the article even stated that the shift in color results from such a razor sharp panel at 438ppi. Doesn't the Pixel²XL have 538ppi? But iPhone fans will swear that the screen isn't great unless it shifts color while cheap Android fans will swear you should have 2030 technology in a 2017 phone mostly because Android fans are cheap. I kinda wish the Pixel²XL would have Sapphire glass on their camera lens just so they could charge 1000.00 like the iPhone and keep the cheap skates away from the phone. LMAO!
They did charge $1000..you needed to get the 128 GB...😃

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

You missed the point of my original post. Per the Forbes reviewer, the iPhone X tints a lot too. But maybe his is just representative of 'some' of the iPhone X's... But let's wait and see how many are willing to hold Apple to task on that aspect of their screen.

This thread was not a rant - it was to mock the people who rant and feel it necessary to use a bunch of capitalized words to emphasize how much of a travesty it is - sorry if you are offended by this.

People seemed to want to find something to hate about Google's offerings right off the bat so jumped all over blue shift despite the fact that color shift is an inherent characteristic (to varying degrees) on all OLED panels, even though it isn't an issue for 99% of the people, who tend to actually look at their phones essentially head-on (yourself included).

If I were any kind of artist I'd draw a satirical cartoon of a guy sitting at a coffee shot reading his phone, holding it at a 30% sideways angle, muttering to himself "I hate the blue tint on this phone..." and then the person sitting next to him looks over and responds "doesn't look like there's any at all from where I'm sitting."

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

I did. Conflating the small tinting issues of the iPhone X with the much more pronounced issues on the 2 XL. I read it.

Well how many iPhone Xs have you seen? Speculation speculation. Either way, your post was off topic of the thread was the point.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Well how many iPhone Xs have you seen? Speculation speculation. Either way, your post was off topic of the thread was the point.

There's about 50 hands-on videos on YoutTube ,but go ahead, I understand the point. It's a "See, they all have the same 'problem' " thread. My point is it's easy to say, but it's just not ture without some kind of qualification .

Anyway, have at it I guess.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

This thread was not a rant - it was to mock the people who rant and feel it necessary to use a bunch of capitalized words to emphasize how much of a travesty it is - sorry if you are offended by this

I'm not offended. It's just a little silly to conflate the 2 XL tinting (and dismiss it as you seem to be), with minor tinting on most OLEDs, including the iPhone X. In any case, no worries. It's a good thread for folks who don't care about such distinctions to say HA! SEE ? THEM TOO!

If I were any kind of artist I'd draw a satirical cartoon of a guy sitting at a coffee shot reading his phone, holding it at a 30% sideways angle, muttering to himself "I hate the blue tint on this phone..." and then the person sitting next to him looks over and responds "doesn't look like there's any at all from where I'm sitting.

Ha! Very true. That does sum it up ..

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

But let's wait and see how many are willing to hold Apple to task on that aspect of their screen.

Honestly, it won't be many. Apple is a fierce company, and they tend not to send review units to reviewers that point out issues or say anything negative. If you don't gush over it, you risk your review unit next year.

Just one of many, many, many reasons I have a strong dislike for Apple as a company.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm not offended. It's just a little silly to conflate the 2 XL tinting (and dismiss it as you seem to be), with minor tinting on most OLEDs, including the iPhone X. In any case, no worries. It's a good thread for folks who don't care about such distinctions to say HA! SEE ? THEM TOO!

The reviewer at Forbes specifically pointed out that while it is a typical characteristic on OLED devices, "it’s more noticeable here."

One thing we both agreed on, it is an overblown issue for actual real-world use...

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site

I'm enjoying a non blue shifting OLED phone as I type this. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with OLED. The Pixel 2 XL however looks pretty bad (the two phones I have seen)

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site

The reviewer at Forbes specifically pointed out that while it is a typical characteristic on OLED devices, "it’s more noticeable here."

One thing we both agreed on, it is an overblown issue for actual real-world use...

Not overblown to me since it caused me to not buy the phone after seeing two in person.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Esteemed iMore writer and Editor in Chief Rene Ritchie said that he didn't want to quibble with the blue shift on the iPhone X, but the blue shift on the Pixel 2 XL bothers him so much. Interesting.

uploadfromtaptalk1509556796716.jpguploadfromtaptalk1509556803089.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress