(AT&T) Carrier IQ active

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Had a discussion with both AT&T and LG about this Carrier IQ issue.

Response from AT&T. You need to speak with LG because they are the ones that put the Android system into the phone.

Response from LG:

11:41 AM Victor: Hello **************. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
11:42 AM **************: How do I get rid of Carrier IQ on my phone?
11:43 AM Victor: To verify, are you inquiring about an application that came with the phone?
11:44 AM **************: Yes. The application that is hard coded into the Android software that can not be disabled or opted out of unless the phone is rooted.
11:45 AM Victor: Sorry about that, unfortunately pre-installed applications cannot be removed by default.
11:46 AM **************: So when is LG going to update the option to opt out of participing in the carrier IQ system? It is not my intention to allow you or at&t to monitor all of my activities simply because I chose the LG G2 as the phone that I wanted....
11:47 AM Victor: As of this concern, the applications and features that the phone comes with are installed and determined by the carrier of the phone. You can try contacting them to see if they are able to remove it from the phone.
11:49 AM **************: They told me to contact you for resolution to this problem after I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with them.
11:49 AM **************: This is not an application or feature. This is tracking software.
11:49 AM Victor: Sorry about that, unfortunately pre-installed applications cannot be removed from the phone by default.
11:49 AM Victor: I really apologize that you are having this problem.
11:50 AM **************: It is no problem. I will just return the phone and LG has lost me as a customer for life.
11:50 AM Victor: I understand.
11:50 AM Victor: I am sorry to hear about this.
11:53 AM **************: This is unbelieveable that LG in cahoots with AT&T installed this tracking software that tracks every location that I go, every key stroke that I make, and every contact that I have, including my text messaging with no way to opt of this. Have you guys ever heard of the Constitution????
11:54 AM Victor: I really apologize for the inconvenience. I can transfer you to a supervisor for further information.
11:55 AM Notice: Victor transferred ************** to John.
11:55 AM Notice: John has joined the chat session.
11:55 AM Notice: Victor has exited the chat session.
11:55 AM **************: The information that I need is "how to disable Carrier IQ" on my phone.....
11:56 AM John: Sorry but unfortunately that application cannot be removed
11:57 AM **************: Too bad. Nice phone but now it is a POS and I will be returning it to AT&T for a different phone. I wonder how come Motorola Moto X that my wife just got with the same carrier does not have Carrier IQ but my phone does...

So there you have it, AT&T denies that it is their issue and LG says "too bad sooo sad". It appears to be an LG issue. If it was an AT&T issue, I am guessing that they would have it installed on all of their new phones. So unless you want to root your phone, you are going to be stuck with Carrier IQ either until AT&T or LG are sued for invasion of privacy under the "wire tap" laws.

So now I have to decide whether to root my phone or return it under the 14 days. I have until Thursday. It is too bad, this is a new phone for me and I was really excited about having a smart phone but I did not realize that "smart phone" meant "no privacy phone", "spyware phone", or "trap every key stroke phone". I really really liked the LG G2.....

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So there you have it, AT&T denies that it is their issue and LG says "too bad sooo sad". It appears to be an LG issue. If it was an AT&T issue, I am guessing that they would have it installed on all of their new phones. So unless you want to root your phone, you are going to be stuck with Carrier IQ either until AT&T or LG are sued for invasion of privacy under the "wire tap" laws.

It's not an LG issue. LG has no interest in the data CIQ collects. That's all for the carrier, and you can bet your bottom AT&T requested that LG implement it into the software. As for the reason it's on this phone and not others, one can only speculate. It may have something to do with the relationship between the manufacturer and the carrier and the deal that they make.

anon(153160)

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
How do you do this ? I use Nova Prime (the paid version) and I don't see any "activity" anywhere in it's settings ?

Thanks,
Fred
Long press on an empty space on one of the Homescreens\ Shortcut\ Activities. Long list of activities there, just look for Android System and there will be IQ Agent Settings. This will create a shortcut icon on the launcher for that Activity. Press the icon as if it was any other app on your phone and IQ Agent Settings will launch.

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
It's not an LG issue. LG has no interest in the data CIQ collects. That's all for the carrier, and you can bet your bottom AT&T requested that LG implement it into the software. As for the reason it's on this phone and not others, one can only speculate. It may have something to do with the relationship between the manufacturer and the carrier and the deal that they make.

It is still wrong, whomever is responsible, for not having an opt out option without rooting the phone and voiding the warranty. Even if it is AT&T that required that CIQ be installed on the phone, the fact that we have no idea of what "metrics" are being collected against us is totally irresponsible on the part of AT&T. We should have been provided an opt out option and been made aware up front that CIQ was installed on the phone and there was no opt out option. I certainally would not have chose this phone if I knew that.

I suspect that after the initial fiasco concerning CIQ, Motorola said that they would not install CIQ on any of their devices and that is probably why my wife's Moto X does not have CIQ installed on it. So in this case, it is both LG's fault and AT&Ts fault that it is on the LG G2. LG's fault for not caring about the end users privacy of their products and AT&T fault for no caring about their users privacy. Both for not providing an opt out option.

An Opt Out option would not have killed them to install and I guess that is what pisses me off the most, is that I do not have the option to "opt out" of the data metrics collection, nor do I even know what the 'metrics' being collected are. No one want to talk about it from either LG or AT&T.

The only thing that I am thinking right now, is that I either have to return the phone or have it rooted. Neither option is palatable to me at this point. If I return it, AT&T wants a restocking fee, although I am pretty sure that if I make a big enough stink that they will waive it considering I specifically told the AT&T store rep that I did not what a phone that tracked me without my permission. If I have it rooted, I void the warranty. It is a great phone and I like it much better than my wife's Moto X but I am not willing to sacrifice my privacy rights for corporate profits.........

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
You can turn it off on ATT.

Settings>Apps>Running>Android System>IQ Agent Servies ---> Hit Stop. I believe this setting will only stay put until you reboot your phone, but its easy enough.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It is still wrong, whomever is responsible, for not having an opt out option without rooting the phone and voiding the warranty. Even if it is AT&T that required that CIQ be installed on the phone, the fact that we have no idea of what "metrics" are being collected against us is totally irresponsible on the part of AT&T. We should have been provided an opt out option and been made aware up front that CIQ was installed on the phone and there was no opt out option. I certainally would not have chose this phone if I knew that.

I'm in agreement with you. My primary beef with CIQ is that an option to opt out is not part of its implementation. I'm disappointed, but not enough to return an excellent device. It may be a different story for you, and that's fine as well. Thankfully we have alternatives.

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
You can turn it off on ATT.

Settings>Apps>Running>Android System>IQ Agent Servies ---> Hit Stop. I believe this setting will only stay put until you reboot your phone, but its easy enough.

Not only do you have to force stop the ICQ, you also have to force stop the Android System.

I did some testing on this using Voodoo Carrier IQ. The first time I just stoped IQ Agent and then ran Voodoo, it showed as inactive. I rebooted and did the same stopping the service but it still showed as active when I ran Voodoo. I had to stop the Android System for it to go inactive again and there is NO GUARANTEE that CIQ is truly inactive.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I suspect that after the initial fiasco concerning CIQ, Motorola said that they would not install CIQ on any of their devices and that is probably why my wife's Moto X does not have CIQ installed on it. So in this case, it is both LG's fault and AT&Ts fault that it is on the LG G2. LG's fault for not caring about the end users privacy of their products and AT&T fault for no caring about their users privacy. Both for not providing an opt out option.

An Opt Out option would not have killed them to install and I guess that is what pisses me off the most, is that I do not have the option to "opt out" of the data metrics collection, nor do I even know what the 'metrics' being collected are. No one want to talk about it from either LG or AT&T.

The only thing that I am thinking right now, is that I either have to return the phone or have it rooted. Neither option is palatable to me at this point. If I return it, AT&T wants a restocking fee, although I am pretty sure that if I make a big enough stink that they will waive it considering I specifically told the AT&T store rep that I did not what a phone that tracked me without my permission. If I have it rooted, I void the warranty. It is a great phone and I like it much better than my wife's Moto X but I am not willing to sacrifice my privacy rights for corporate profits.........

LG has zero control over it, and it isn't their fault that att requires it.

Also, you're throwing a temper tantrum when you don't have even the slightest idea what the software does in its current implementation. Not to mention that somewhere in your contract with att you gave then permission to have software like this installed on your device.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 2

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
LG has zero control over it, and it isn't their fault that att requires it.

Also, you're throwing a temper tantrum when you don't have even the slightest idea what the software does in its current implementation. Not to mention that somewhere in your contract with att you gave then permission to have software like this installed on your device.

Temper Tantrum? My privacy is not to be messed with. I do not care what they collect. It is wrong without my explicit consent which I never gave. An opt out option would not have killed AT&T.

I still have not been able to find out what metrics they are collecting. What is the big secret on what they collect? If it is so harmless and legal, then why not be up front about it? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, I'm pretty sure it is a duck.

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Temper Tantrum? My privacy is not to be messed with. I do not care what they collect. It is wrong without my explicit consent which I never gave. An opt out option would not have killed AT&T.

I still have not been able to find out what metrics they are collecting. What is the big secret on what they collect? If it is so harmless and legal, then why not be up front about it? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, I'm pretty sure it is a duck.

Everyone is entitled to their privacy, I agree. I turned off the IQ Agent on ATT, but it may not be fully removed.

What state do you live in? In PA, we have an auto-pay toll system called EZ-Pass when driving highways (well in the Northeast). While everyone sees it as a convenience not having to stop at tolls (myself included) basically the government is able to track all of your traveling behaviors.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their privacy, I agree. I turned off the IQ Agent on ATT, but it may not be fully removed.

What state do you live in? In PA, we have an auto-pay toll system called EZ-Pass when driving highways (well in the Northeast). While everyone sees it as a convenience not having to stop at tolls (myself included) basically the government is able to track all of your traveling behaviors.

My apologies for straying off topic, but there is currently a lawsuit going on against the E-Z Pass authority. Turns out that the tag tracks cars outside of tolls.

‘Intrusive and Unsettling’: Man Rigs E-Z Pass Toll Tag to Show It Tracks Cars Outside of Tolls | Video | TheBlaze.com

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
My apologies for straying off topic, but there is currently a lawsuit going on against the E-Z Pass authority. Turns out that the tag tracks cars outside of tolls.

‘Intrusive and Unsettling’: Man Rigs E-Z Pass Toll Tag to Show It Tracks Cars Outside of Tolls | Video | TheBlaze.com

Interesting topic. With traffic signal cameras, license plate readers, phones with GPS, I dont see the huge issue as the society that we live in should be used to these things. Now wire-tapping, reading texts, etc are somewhat different.

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Florida. I do not use easy pass. The electronic world is wide open as technology has evolved faster than common sense and privacy laws. And in a sense, the government picks and chooses what to fight. They want to restrict the 2nd because the constitution was written in the time of muskets - so no modern firearms for civilians, but data collection is OK - but when the Constitution was written, electronics did not exist and nobody knew that atoms had electrons.

I have been thinking about this from the data metrics collection point of view to make a better AT&T network. So let's say that in reality AT&T really only wants to make a better network, which I do not believe for a second is their sole purpose. Lets take a dropped connection for example. To get the true analysis that they would need to ascertain the reason for the dropped connection, they would need to know the following (more or less) if not more:

What was your exact location. GPS is more accurate so they choose to have the ability to use your GPS data or even turn it on on your phone instead of triangulating via towers.
Was it data or a call.
Was it a text, call, internet or other SMS.
What is the number, URL site, or whatever that you called.
Did you call/visit that site before and when and where were you when you did.
What time was it.
Where were the cell towers on the network that you were talking though.
Were you swapping from one cell tower to another.
Was it local and off of the same tower or did it have to be bounced around to another location.
Where are these towers located.
Was it bounced off a satellite or other party network
Are the towers 4G/3G/LTE for data or other.
How was that connection processed.
What was the destination of the contact.
Was it in the US or nearby or elsewhere.
If it was an AT&T contact, did the receiving end have active CIQ.
What was your battery charge level on the phone.
When was the last time it was recharged and how much of it did you use prior to the phone call.
Was is used mainly in running apps, widgets, texting, or making phone calls.
What programs/apps/widgets were running at the time.
Which ones were in the background.
Which ones were active.
What is the phone ID's.
What was the local weather like (you don't thing that they give you that app on your phone for free for some other reason, do you?)
Did you just use the camera before this incident.
What was the size of the picture.
How many pictures.
Was it a video.
How long was the camera running.
How long was the video running.
What were you doing just before this incident.
Where were you just before this incident.
What was the phone temperature.
What was the processor temperature.
Were all cores operating.
What was the load.
How was it distributed.
What speed were the individual processors working at.
How much memory was being used.
What was the battery output in amps, voltage, wattage.

And I can think of a couple of thousand more of these in the "metrics" world of what could be collected. None of these above have anything to do with listening to the phone call, reading the text, or whatever AT&T considers "personal" information, which by the way, they will not state publicly.

Remember that every app/program that the provider gave you on your phone that you can not completely uninstall, is there for a reason. Try removing the AT&T Navigator (locational/GPS data collection). You can not, you can only remove the ICON. It will not uninstall.

For me, this is potentially just too much and I want a reporting Opt Out option. Better yet, I want it off of my phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

You gave consent when you signed your contract.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Florida. I do not use easy pass. The electronic world is wide open as technology has evolved faster than common sense and privacy laws. And in a sense, the government picks and chooses what to fight. They want to restrict the 2nd because the constitution was written in the time of muskets - so no modern firearms for civilians, but data collection is OK - but when the Constitution was written, electronics did not exist and nobody knew that atoms had electrons.

I have been thinking about this from the data metrics collection point of view to make a better AT&T network. So let's say that in reality AT&T really only wants to make a better network, which I do not believe for a second is their sole purpose. Lets take a dropped connection for example. To get the true analysis that they would need to ascertain the reason for the dropped connection, they would need to know the following (more or less) if not more:

What was your exact location. GPS is more accurate so they choose to have the ability to use your GPS data or even turn it on on your phone instead of triangulating via towers.
Was it data or a call.
Was it a text, call, internet or other SMS.
What is the number, URL site, or whatever that you called.
Did you call/visit that site before and when and where were you when you did.
What time was it.
Where were the cell towers on the network that you were talking though.
Were you swapping from one cell tower to another.
Was it local and off of the same tower or did it have to be bounced around to another location.
Where are these towers located.
Was it bounced off a satellite or other party network
Are the towers 4G/3G/LTE for data or other.
How was that connection processed.
What was the destination of the contact.
Was it in the US or nearby or elsewhere.
If it was an AT&T contact, did the receiving end have active CIQ.
What was your battery charge level on the phone.
When was the last time it was recharged and how much of it did you use prior to the phone call.
Was is used mainly in running apps, widgets, texting, or making phone calls.
What programs/apps/widgets were running at the time.
Which ones were in the background.
Which ones were active.
What is the phone ID's.
What was the local weather like (you don't thing that they give you that app on your phone for free for some other reason, do you?)
Did you just use the camera before this incident.
What was the size of the picture.
How many pictures.
Was it a video.
How long was the camera running.
How long was the video running.
What were you doing just before this incident.
Where were you just before this incident.
What was the phone temperature.
What was the processor temperature.
Were all cores operating.
What was the load.
How was it distributed.
What speed were the individual processors working at.
How much memory was being used.
What was the battery output in amps, voltage, wattage.

And I can think of a couple of thousand more of these in the "metrics" world of what could be collected. None of these above have anything to do with listening to the phone call, reading the text, or whatever AT&T considers "personal" information, which by the way, they will not state publicly.

Remember that every app/program that the provider gave you on your phone that you can not completely uninstall, is there for a reason. Try removing the AT&T Navigator (locational/GPS data collection). You can not, you can only remove the ICON. It will not uninstall.

For me, this is potentially just too much and I want a reporting Opt Out option. Better yet, I want it off of my phone.

Good luck with that. There isn't a single carrier in the US that doesn't collect info like that.

bradroid

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you and holey moley does this work. I am not a heavy phone user but I check work and personal email, play Words with Friends and read on my nook. My new G2 barely made it 12 hours before it was under 25%, my Optimus G would have been at 55% after the same usage. I was so disappointed as I was loving this phone. I turned off GPS, notification, vibrate on anything, WiFi when I'm not near any. All a pain to have to do and again all things I use on my Optimus G.
I found this post and turned off IQ Agent Servcies, also stopped backing up Google (really don't need that unless I wipe the phone to start over) and wow, yesterday after a weekend use day (use is less than workday) I only used 20% of the battery. After 31/2 hours today and checking my emails and reading for 15 minutes I'm at 97%.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's funny for someone who buys an android phone to get mad at carrier for tracking them.. I don't see anyone getting mad at Google for tracking them, is it because they provide services for free so it is OK to track and gather all that data about you? I am not being sarcastic, I am serious, what is it that's pissing everyone off so much about Carrier IQ?

Carrier IQ comes back after a reboot or anything similar to reboot, I did not see it come back after I ended the task on my G2. Although I may have to try a different detector.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wongcheng