Charging cable suggestions

steve daniels

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Most of us who have tried to charge our GD using a cable other than the one that came with the phone have seen the "incompatible cable" error message and have experienced the accompanying non-charging in that situation. I have no problem using the official cable (and pretty much any charger, though with the possibility of slow charging compared to the OEM one) or my Nokia Qi induction charger.

However, I have a few microUSB cables that I think used to work for charging and no longer work for whatever reason. Rather than try to troubleshoot and get them to work, I'm hoping people can reply with suggestions on a specific cable I can buy that will definitely charge this phone. I have read in prior threads that both the 6' and 10' version of the following cables should work:
Amazon.com: EZOPower Extra Long 6ft Black Micro-USB 2in1 Sync and Charge USB Data Cable for Samsung, HTC, LG and Other Smartphone: Cell Phones & Accessories
But I've also seen a few contradictory reviews where people say the version of the cable they received did not charge this phone.

To sum up, I really just need to buy a couple cables to stash in my laptop bag and car so I don't run into this problem. If you've used the EZOPower cable and it works for you, please chime in. Same thing if this cable has not worked for you. If you have another recommendation, please post a link.

I wouldn't mind buying an OEM LG cable if someone has a source for them. I don't seem to be able to find them.

Thanks!

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that Samsung and LG just don't like each other. The Galaxy Nexus couldn't use the LG cable at all and now the G2 says slow charging with the Samsung cable unless I use it with the LG charging pad. I have an old Motorola cable that I use in the car and it works perfectly fine with the G2 as it did with the Galaxy Nexus.

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had good success with BlackBerry cables. The genuine article is generally thick, and has the BB logo on the connector. While the micro usb connector gets in the way of the case I have on the device, and the cable isn't as flexible as thinner cables, it never fails as long as it's connected to a high output charger (stock one that came with the phone, Nexus 7 (2012) charger, Samsung S4 charger, etc.). No slow charge messages.

HOWEVER, because I like the case I have on my device, I have been using thinner cables with lower output chargers (~1A), including the stock LG cable, Nexus 7 cable, and Samsung S3/S4 cables. Other no-name cables are hit and miss and I have paired all of my working combinations and drawered any extra chargers and cable combo's that don't work or result in slow charge.

JJones1210

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From my experience, it has been the output of the charger that has made the difference. I purchased both a 2A car charger and an additional 2A wall charger off Amazon and both work great.

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
While the output of the charger of course makes a difference, using a 2A charger with an incompatible cable can result in Slow Charge; which is what I believe we are talking about here. Off the top of my head (correct me if I'm wrong folks), the USB spec (3.0?) calls for a cable capable of 5A. Quick Charge 2.0 is a spec which calls for a compatible charger, compatible device (with Qualcomm Snapdragon 800) and implies a compatible cable.

I'm not sure how the device "knows" that the cable doesn't meet spec but somehow it must; as if you use the stock charger on the G2 with a non-OEM cable and it gives us Slow Charge, that is the only variable in the equation since swapping in the OEM cable should give us Quick Charge.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
See if this thread will enlighten you http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=321049 Chargers

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The phone is programed to detect current draw. Also that wall plug adapter has a chip built into it.
While the output of the charger of course makes a difference, using a 2A charger with an incompatible cable can result in Slow Charge; which is what I believe we are talking about here. Off the top of my head (correct me if I'm wrong folks), the USB spec (3.0?) calls for a cable capable of 5A. Quick Charge 2.0 is a spec which calls for a compatible charger, compatible device (with Qualcomm Snapdragon 800) and implies a compatible cable.

I'm not sure how the device "knows" that the cable doesn't meet spec but somehow it must; as if you use the stock charger on the G2 with a non-OEM cable and it gives us Slow Charge, that is the only variable in the equation since swapping in the OEM cable should give us Quick Charge.

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Here are 2 that I own and recommend using with my G2.

These are the SKUs from VZW website:
MICRDUALVPC-F?
EMICUSBDTVL-F

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I guess the bottom line is that the phone isn't getting enough current. If the device is a known, and the charger is a known, that only leaves the cable.

It has been proven on another forum here that the cable is definitely a factor as well.

steve daniels

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for providing info in this thread.

A few days ago, I bought this:
Amazon.com: Blackberry Folding Blade Charger for Playbook (Black): Computers & Accessories

As promised by several people here, I confirm that it charges my phone at high speed, and that it seems to be well made.

I went through all of the many extra microUSB cables I have (more than 10, less than 50), and none other than the one that came with my G2 will charge my G2 at anything other than low speed. I can live with low speed charging, but my experience also suggests that these cables won't work at all with certain chargers -- especially car chargers.

So, I think I identified a real identical OEM cable/travel charger on eBay and just ordered it.
MCS 02wt MCS 01wt MCS 02WD Home Wall House Charger USB Data Charging Cable | eBay
Currently $8.89, usually $9.99.

I'll be happy to report back how it works, including in the car, with various wall adapters, etc. However, because the $1 off deal on this one at eBay expires in around 10 hours, I figured I'd let you know about it now in case you want to take your chances before I give a review. Note that you'll have to select a phone model in the drop-down box, and the G2 is not an option. Based on the model numbers involved, the appearance of the charger in the picture, and the seller's feedback, I'm mostly convinced everything is going to be fine. Obviously, I can't make any guarantees here. Same thing is true even if I report that the charger I receive works for me.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 7 2012 cable/charger fast charges.
Also, my original Skyrocket charging cable works with the LG charger and fast charges.

I believe certain cables have certain pins bridged and this is the difference between a charging cable and a data only cable.

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

steve daniels

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So, I think I identified a real identical OEM cable/travel charger on eBay and just ordered it.
MCS 02wt MCS 01wt MCS 02WD Home Wall House Charger USB Data Charging Cable | eBay
Currently $8.89, usually $9.99.

I'll be happy to report back how it works, including in the car, with various wall adapters, etc. However, because the $1 off deal on this one at eBay expires in around 10 hours, I figured I'd let you know about it now in case you want to take your chances before I give a review. Note that you'll have to select a phone model in the drop-down box, and the G2 is not an option. Based on the model numbers involved, the appearance of the charger in the picture, and the seller's feedback, I'm mostly convinced everything is going to be fine. Obviously, I can't make any guarantees here. Same thing is true even if I report that the charger I receive works for me.

I just got this travel charger + cable in the mail. I plugged it in, and it slow charges my G2. However, when I use microUSB cable and my Nexus 7 charger or the original G2 wall charger, it charges at full speed. Even though I basically paid $9 to get a cable that I know will work with my phone, I'm not entirely unhappy. It's the only other cable I have that will fast charge the G2 other than the one that came with the phone.

I'll probably keep this cable in my car, after making sure it'll charge the G2 in combination with the charger I keep there.

Like most people on this forum, I get excellent battery life -- generally between 1.5 and 2 days worth. I'm just trying to avoid the situation I had a couple weeks back that prompted me to start this thread. I was using my G2 for GPS on vacation around New York City and New Jersey, and pretty much needed it to get me out and back and last an entire day because none of the cables or chargers I brought (or bought after stopping at a Target and Radio Shack) would charge the phone at all in the rental car I was driving.

The car (a new Prius) had both a straight USB port and a cigarette lighter outlet, and no combination of these and any of the 3 or 4 cables I tried would charge my phone even a little bit. (I got "incompatiible charger" error messages rather than "slow charging" warnings.) After realizing I might have some trouble, I kept my screen off and turned off unneeded wireless services on the phone. It had around 8% battery life at the end of the trip, which was around 10 pm, and it had come off a working charger in the morning around 8 am. I probably used GPS around 6 hours and had the screen on for around the same amount of time if you include some web browsing before I realized there was a problem. All in all, the phone performed very well. Assuming you don't count the part where I was cursing LG's engineers for making a phone that doesn't charge with a standard microUSB cable.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
For car charging I found the bb car charger, tylt ribbon charger, and vzw car chargers to work in the car with out slow charge indicator
I just got this travel charger + cable in the mail. I plugged it in, and it slow charges my G2. However, when I use microUSB cable and my Nexus 7 charger or the original G2 wall charger, it charges at full speed. Even though I basically paid $9 to get a cable that I know will work with my phone, I'm not entirely unhappy. It's the only other cable I have that will fast charge the G2 other than the one that came with the phone.

I'll probably keep this cable in my car, after making sure it'll charge the G2 in combination with the charger I keep there.

Like most people on this forum, I get excellent battery life -- generally between 1.5 and 2 days worth. I'm just trying to avoid the situation I had a couple weeks back that prompted me to start this thread. I was using my G2 for GPS on vacation around New York City and New Jersey, and pretty much needed it to get me out and back and last an entire day because none of the cables or chargers I brought (or bought after stopping at a Target and Radio Shack) would charge the phone at all in the rental car I was driving.

The car (a new Prius) had both a straight USB port and a cigarette lighter outlet, and no combination of these and any of the 3 or 4 cables I tried would charge my phone even a little bit. (I got "incompatiible charger" error messages rather than "slow charging" warnings.) After realizing I might have some trouble, I kept my screen off and turned off unneeded wireless services on the phone. It had around 8% battery life at the end of the trip, which was around 10 pm, and it had come off a working charger in the morning around 8 am. I probably used GPS around 6 hours and had the screen on for around the same amount of time if you include some web browsing before I realized there was a problem. All in all, the phone performed very well. Assuming you don't count the part where I was cursing LG's engineers for making a phone that doesn't charge with a standard microUSB cable.

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey man I hope it's not too late to chime in, but I have had a lot of success with cables at Monoprice.com. My new puppy loved to chew our phone charging cables so soon we found ourselves needing a few. These were recommended on another forum and after trying them out they work great, especially since they can handle 2.0 amps for faster charging (like on phones such as the GS4 with larger batteries). They come in different lengths too. Check them out; http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5457&seq=1&format=2

Edit: I forgot to mention that they are SUPER affordable. ($1-$2 depending on length)

force70

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
My s4 cable and charger work just fine as do the BlackBerry charger and cable and motorola? Ive yet to see any type of message? Im in the stock rom

sent from my S4,Note 3,G2 or Nexus 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress