New G3 UK User

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Just got my G3 and all well so far. It's doing a large amount of app updating at the moment and seems to be happy to be left alone to get on with it. I just hope I've set it up to do that over wifi. Since there are concerns over signal strength and one or two other things I'll post again later.

Posted via Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Just got my G3 and all well so far. It's doing a large amount of app updating at the moment and seems to be happy to be left alone to get on with it. I just hope I've set it up to do that over wifi. Since there are concerns over signal strength and one or two other things I'll post again later.

That varies as I receive a great signal, hope you enjoyed your unboxing of the G3 and have fun with it :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
After bedding down G3, Nexus 5 and Lumia 1020 all at 100% battery charge about midnight last night, rather than test them early next morning I turned them on about noon, much longer sleep than normal. Respectively, they showed battery charge of 89%, 95% and 96%. Don't yet know how to find battery usage stats on G3. G3 also used about 15mb of data overnight, but I don't as yet know where. More later.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Here's a quick signal comparison between G3 and N5.
As I look at them, quite a bit of fluctuation as is normal, possibly more so in G3, but both giving broadly similar readings...at the moment where I am, good, circa -75dBm 19asu, 4 bars.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Another signal check, different location:
G3: 103/5
N5:93/9
Both this and the former reading were indoor. I'll just nip outside and see what I get....
G3: 87/13
N5: 73/20

More later.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Bad spot in certain area of shopping mall:
G3: 113/0
N5: 107/3

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
And lastly, in a fairly open outdoor area:
G3: 71/21
N5: 67/23.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Despite the differences in signal strength suggested by the above figures, radio signal is not a problem for me with the G3 specimen that I have, on my network (3 UK, advanced 3G signal where I am), and in my location.

Regarding the display: it's obviously of the highest quality by virtue of the pixels but not really very noticeably sharper than the 1080p Nexus 5....but then the N5 display sharpness is superb in the first place. Colour saturation is a tad higher than the N5, and does not show the latter's yellowish tinge....or rather, that of my particular 4-month-old specimen. Photos taken on my Lumia 1020 and transferred via OneDrive to the N5 and G3, when viewed side-by-side on the latter two at about the same brightness, look about the same apart from the N5's yellowish tinge....though both phones show the photos noticeably sharper than when viewed on the 720p Pentile OLED of the 1020.
I find I need to set the G3 to a higher brightness setting than the N5, to get the same comfortable viewing.
The 1440p display comes into its own when viewing the two 4K videos that come installed in Gallery.

I do not as yet feel qualified to comment on another concern of users, battery life. Perhaps I'll add some comments after a few days.

My own impression so far is that this is a wonderful, wonderful phone and I thank the LG company for producing it, and indeed the scarcely-inferior Nexus 5....both of them life-enriching devices of very high quality. Possible signal and battery problems for some users aside, I don't think anyone buying this phone would be likely to regret it, especially at the price being asked compared to other high-end devices.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I am at 20% battery after about 28h on the phone's first charge with 3h 25m screen-on time.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The signal readings in this thread seem to match what I found. Roughly 10dB lower than the nexus 5. It does quite well despite the lower signal but I found it lost signal much easier so there were more places out of coverage on the g3 when compared to the nexus 5. I had 2 handsets the same and returned it for this reason

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, consistently poorer judging by the readings. For me it was not easy to give comparisons because when I pulled the phones out to measure, the readings would both fluctuate as I was looking and I had to note down whatever seemed to be a fairly stable average. Perhaps in my area the signal is strong enough for me to be able to get away with a poorer response from the G3.

Something I forgot to mention...the G3 connects more readily to the poor wifi signal that I have, than either of the other phones.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Remember reading in a review that the G3 took 3 hours to charge, I believe from ordinary mains charge, though from what starting charge I don't recall. I've just mains-charged mine from 20% to 100% in 1 to 1½ hours. It got warm but not hot.

j-dogg_69

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to remove the McAfee apps? More so the family protection app as bo matter what setting I use, I can't access betting sites, torrent sites, or even certain news articles!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
A pleasing feature of the G3 is LG Health. Fill in your age, height and weight details and it immediately tells you how unhealthy you are, and what you must do to mend your ways. I tried it today and was commanded to walk a certain minimum number of steps, which I managed to exceed no problem. This is not just distance walking...if you just struggle out of your chair to get your cigarettes, it faithfully records the number of steps taken, and how much healthier you are getting.
Joking aside it's an excellent feature and probably really will help the user.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Auto-rotate screen stopped working. A soft reset fixed it. Anybody know whether this is a fairly common fault in phones?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm at 45% battery after 26h, screen on time 2½h which has used 38% of that drain, and I think I'll give the old girl another charge to 100%.