G3 shattered from 10cm drop??

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So today my luck ran out. We went out to eat and I placed my phone on the corner of the table (bad move). I accidently knocked it off the table with my arm and she fell face first onto the floor. I didn't pick it up, my girlfriend did....the look on her face said it all.

Attachments

• IMG_20140816_182453852_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140816_182453852_HDR.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 76

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, my drop was less than half that distance, about 3 feet if that. Icing on the cake, just made my Asurion claim and my black model is on backorder....they will get back to me in 7-10 business days. Yipee!
Worth repeating...

Mav. :cool:

Sent from Area 51 on my Sprint LG G3.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So today my luck ran out. We went out to eat and I placed my phone on the corner of the table (bad move). I accidently knocked it off the table with my arm and she fell face first onto the floor. I didn't pick it up, my girlfriend did....the look on her face said it all.

Yikes... Sorry guy, looks pretty rough

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Andrew White2

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Dropped mine from 30cm and dented the alloy surround frame.
Can't wait to receive the 'amadillo' case.
My old G Pro I dropped from greater heights 5 times and not a scratch.

Posted via the Android Central App

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
In my experience Gorilla glass does not mean a lot. Mine fell off the top of a toilet, about 3 and a half feet with a rechargeable LG circle case. The corner of the G3 was cracked and there were very visible scratches across the screen. I sold both the phone and its cursed Circle case on Craigs list and bought another G3 (with a Platinum case from Best Buy). Lesson learned; for protection the Circle case is crap. I also have a glass screen protector on order.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
In my experience Gorilla glass does not mean a lot. Mine fell off the top of a toilet, about 3 and a half feet with a rechargeable LG circle case. The corner of the G3 was cracked and there were very visible scratches across the screen. I sold both the phone and its cursed Circle case on Craigs list and bought another G3 (with a Platinum case from Best Buy). Lesson learned; for protection the Circle case is crap. I also have a glass screen protector on order.
I was not a believer in glass screen protectors until my wife dropped her note 3. It feel almost 5 feet to concrete. The screen protector shattered but the actual screen was perfect. I bought her a second one. She dropped that also and again the screen protector broke but screen was flawless. Good investment in my opinion.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I can contest to the dumb luck thing. I fell from the 2nd rung of a ladder and completely broke 2 bones in my leg and fractured my ankle, but I run into a tree on a quad and only get a couple of bruises.

As far as phones go I will never go without a tempered glass screen cover. Had one on my s5 and took a spill on my dirt bike landing on the phone and the screen cover had a crack but the phone was fine. My wife on the other hand has a moto x and stopped it from falling of the table by pushing it up against the edge with her hip and the whole screen shattered.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Z Z2

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned in 4 pages but this is the glass protector I use:

Tech Armor LG G3 Premium Ballistic Glass Screen Protector

Super easy to apply, crystal clear, no issues with responsiveness. I hope if I do have a drop it's the best $10 I've spent.

I'm also using the slimmest (but yet durable) case I can find with a slight front ridge. It's very light and also surprisingly cheap at $8. I had a Spigen and thought I was carrying a full masonry brick in my hand with that thing.

Ghostek Stealth Case for LG G3

I can't post the links because I'm a noob but both can be found on Amazon.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I had ordered the LG Slim Guard Case from Expansys, but its back ordered and obviously didn't arrive in time for my accident :-\ . I'm also toying with the idea of buying a tempered glass screen protector.

Usually I use the slimmest case I can get away with and no screen protector. In the past I really did not like the films or sticker like screen protectors because they distorted the image and affected how the screen responded to my touch. That being said, I think I may have to reconsider that. I believe the thin bezels on this phone are both its best and worst feature....best because it looks amazing but worst because there is very little there to protect the glass on a drop.

I'm on the fence, I'm even considering selling my replacement when it arrives and using the money to buy a different phone. Decisions decisions...

quay69

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I still don't believe this is gorilla glass on the G3 these mishaps should not be causing the phones to break like this

Jer bear2011

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
If you are dumb enough not to wipe chicken grease and sauce of your hands before pulling out your expensive New phone maybe you deserve to drop it.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

I have some advice. Don't put your phone down in a public place anytime, anywhere. Not even for a minute It's a bad habit to get into and nothing good will come from it. Just keep it in your hand. Your lap. but not a table in a restaurant or seat at an airport. BTW, one nice thing about the G3 is when the screen gets cracked it's easy and inexpensive to replace.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have some advice. Don't put your phone down in a public place anytime, anywhere. Not even for a minute It's a bad habit to get into and nothing good will come from it. Just keep it in your hand. Your lap. but not a table in a restaurant or seat at an airport. BTW, one nice thing about the G3 is when the screen gets cracked it's easy and inexpensive to replace.

This. It's either in my hand or my pocket.

Unless I'm at home. It has a special place on my computer desk where it would be impossible to knock off accidentally :).

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Now that you mention it I have noticed that when I sit down somewhere I have a tendency of emptying my pants pockets. Keys, wallet, phone...Not sure why I do this, I dont wear skinny jeans or anything. I guess I don't like the feeling when my pants go taught when I sit and all the junk in my pockets digs into my legs. I just ended up buying a case, sure it makes the thing even bulkier but I'm not so worried about dropping it anymore.

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I use a Spigen slim armour case. I dropped my phone last week from head height onto the kitchen tiled floor. Not a mark on it. You must have been really unlucky to smash it from 10 cms.