LG G3 - Widespread reports of cracks appearing at the microphone port

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Widespread reports of cracks appearing at the microphone port

Certainly would suck bad if all cases caused this..

Posted via LG G3.
Mechanically, how could a case crack the frame? Is it stopping thermal expansion and causing stresses in the frame?

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

The reported issue isn't what bothers me. Its the simple fact that he posts nothing but negative posts/threads/articles/etc. about a device he clearly dislikes! He isn't being helpful whatsoever in this community. Thats MY problem with them!

I agree from his first post here its the impression of going out hunting for any information to use against the G3. Its not balanced, articulate or helpful.

This may be an issue for some and worth checking, but as one poster mentioned the Z2 had issues with the glass cracking (I haven't experienced this) but its been reported.

So an article was written as an advisory no doubt. Explaining this has happened and may effect you?

My G3 is 2+ months old now and no cracks, this doesn't mean its not a problem.

But what would be useful is to check yours, and let's see statistics on how many of the millions of G3's sold are effected.

Some statistics to put things into prospective :)

Posted via the Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Completely agree.

No cracks.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras." MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)

Lapse

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't think there's anything wrong about the OP bringing this issue to our attention, it's useful information even if he doesn't like the G3.

Posted via Android Central App

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Looks like LG, in an attempt to cut costs, used really cheap, brittle plastic.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

And in light of the report you posted that may very well be. It will be interesting to see what the final outcome is.
I know that all things made are more or less done in batches and strict attention is paid when quantities, ingredients, etc. are added....especially plastics, composites. Unfortunately we see way too many times where an error is made, maybe in this case a "batch" was formulated incorrectly.
The S3 went through something similar with cracking around the edges of the case: Galaxy S3 casing issues plague the smartphone, Samsung to repair affected units Mine as well as most others were not affected but it does not mean there wasn't an actual issue that Samsung had to address.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

All plastics are cheap that's why the likes of Samsung, Lg, Nokia and others in part make huge profits.

Implementation of such plastics in design are different but material is much the same compound "plastic" although different composites.

So there is this Article that highlights an issue... That is fine and for those effected I would believe this would fall under the warranty.

Clearly not all devices are effected...

So balance of this being an issue to it not being one...

Level of the scale, would be interesting as I mentioned of statistics of this...

As for any device of premium build Z2 & M8 both great. I still own the Z2 and there was a brief report of Glass shattering, haven't heard much since. But haven't been scanning for it or been in the Z2 forums here for a while.

The M8 scratches easily and dents.

So point here is every device has their strengths and weaknesses. And assembly defects and so forth.

But the article is useful info and for that its good to share.

Posted via the Android Central App

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

No issues on mine.
Had it for about a month.

No issues here either! I have a small scratch over the USB port where I got clumsy trying to plug in the charger one night, but it's no big deal. You have to really look hard to see it.

Last edited:

britt0523

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had my G3 for about 40 days, and I am experiencing cracks on the microphone and on the top near the IR sensor. The cracks were not a result of any acute, physical trauma to the phone. After fighting with att for days, they are replacing the phone out of 'courtesy' but should it happen again, I'm out of luck. LG needs to help those who are experiencing this issue, even if it's only an isolated issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 65089.jpg
    65089.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 65088.jpg
    65088.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 86

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

All plastics are cheap that's why the likes of Samsung, Lg, Nokia and others in part make huge profits.

Implementation of such plastics in design are different but material is much the same compound "plastic" although different composites.

Those statements just demonstrate an ignorance of the topic. All plastics are NOT "much the same compound." And all plastic are not "cheap." There are structural plastics that are more suited, in some uses, than metal. The cockpits of fighter planes, and the windshields of commercial jets are plastic. The "bullet proof glass" at your bank is plastic. Motorcycle helmets are plastic. So are the bumpers on your car, which will take an impact, flex, and return to shape, unlike metal bumpers which bend and crumple.

And the "compound" of a car bumper, a phone, and a windshield are quite different.

The "cheap" Samsung phones will take an impact with no visible damage that will leave a dent in a metal phone.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Those statements just demonstrate an ignorance of the topic. All plastics are NOT "much the same compound." And all plastic are not "cheap." There are structural plastics that are more suited, in some uses, than metal. The cockpits of fighter planes, and the windshields of commercial jets are plastic. The "bullet proof glass" at your bank is plastic. Motorcycle helmets are plastic. So are the bumpers on your car, which will take an impact, flex, and return to shape, unlike metal bumpers which bend and crumple.

And the "compound" of a car bumper, a phone, and a windshield are quite different.

The "cheap" Samsung phones will take an impact with no visible damage that will leave a dent in a metal phone.

I agree with you mostly, but whether "plastic", metal, polycarbonate, or a derivative of the like, should not crack, break, or split. And if it does, especially in the same area on a reoccurring basis constitutes a problem. Most likely due to stress. It's not that LG used "cheap" plastic, it's that there's a flaw in the design and/or build materials used in that particular area where the cracks are forming.....and it needs to be addressed, fixed, and/or replaced by LG in a timely manner.

maka12

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

just heard back from lg, they say its the first they have heard of the problem lol. funny every photo i have seen all the cracks are in the same place....
they say i have to send photo to them and will probably be charged for the repair what a joke.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I agree with you mostly, but whether "plastic", metal, polycarbonate, or a derivative of the like, should not crack, break, or split. And if it does, especially in the same area on a reoccurring basis constitutes a problem. Most likely due to stress. It's not that LG used "cheap" plastic, it's that there's a flaw in the design and/or build materials used in that particular area where the cracks are forming.....and it needs to be addressed, fixed, and/or replaced by LG in a timely manner.

I agree completely. I wasn't trying to say this isn't a problem, just pointing out that there are many kinds of plastic, some very strong indeed, and the inference that all plastic is "cheap" is misleading at best.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I agree, regardless of who posted or why the topic is valid and clearly there is enough information to suggest a potential problem (operative word being "potential")
Do I want my phone to suffer from this, of course not but I sure appreciate the information.
As I have said time and again, there are those that would prefer to bury their heads in the sand and pretend everything is OK.

How about because it's a legitimate point of discussion? Why do you want it to die? Would you prefer to believe the G3 has no flaws? Does this thread threaten your self-identify in some way?

Last edited by a moderator:

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

I agree, regardless of who posted or why the topic is valid and clearly there is enough information to suggest a potential problem (operative word being "potential")
Do I want my phone to suffer from this, of course not but I sure appreciate the information.
As I have said time and again, there are those that would prefer to bury their heads in the sand and pretend everything is OK.
Its a big issue in Korea apparently in Newspapers etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

How about because it's a legitimate point of discussion? Why do you want it to die? Would you prefer to believe the G3 has no flaws? Does this thread threaten your self-identify in some way?

If you,read my reply you,would I was quoting someone who was complaining about the thread being started.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Since the US version has only been out a few weeks I would be interested to hear more from our friends abroad that picked up the G3 back in May.
Maybe it is an issue that rears it's ugly head after a few months? I inspected mine with a magnifying glass last night and did not see the slightest indication of cracking. Not sure if that means anything, I am pretty certain that all of the units start out more or less perfect.
All we can do is wait and see. Great phone but if my G3 does experience these issues down the road you can bet that it's going back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984