Requirement to Install PC Driver?

metallifan33

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
I am in my two week trial period (no restocking fee with Best Buy). I love the phone aside from the missed taps every now and then. Battery life could be better but I understand that for some god forsaken reason, we absolutely need our phones to be as thin as paper... I have come to accept this stupidity.
Anyway, I just plugged it in to my PC to move some files and after it didn't show up under "Computer" I noticed that I had to install a PC driver. I'm coming from an HTC M8 and was able to plug in and drag and drop without having to install any drivers. Is that not possible with LG? I tend to shy away from installing any software I don't "need".

Little background: I had the M8 and loved it. Had a kid in February and needed a better camera for my phone. I decided to try the iPhone 6+ and aside from the camera, hated it especially when it came to not being able to plug in and drag and drop files. I didn't think I'd have any issues with an Android phone doing this though (previous M8, M7, S3, S4 user).

Thanks!

JTYoung1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The software for the M8 probably installed automatically. I've personally never seen a device that didn't need some type of driver, even USB sticks require a driver bed installed.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Not a complete solution, but have you tried airdroid? It's what I use to do all my computer-to-phone transfers. Don't bother with the desktop software version, just use the "web" version over WiFi.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Not a complete solution, but have you tried airdroid? It's what I use to do all my computer-to-phone transfers. Don't bother with the desktop software version, just use the "web" version over WiFi.

Agreed,

On desktop browser enter: web.airdroid.com
On phone open app and tap to scan the QR code; scan the code displaying on the PC screen, and they're connected.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When I plug the G4 into my laptop the first time, it auto install the driver just like plugging in a new mouse. I have windows 8.1.

JTYoung1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I just plugged mine into the computer and I saw what you are talking about. The default action when plugging a cable into it is charging. You will have a "message" that says something along the lines of Choose USB function. Select that and then select the Windows file transfer option (2nd one down on my AT&T G4). You should be good to go after that.